Online Dating.

Replies

• TarryTaffy wrote: »
    AriesFL wrote: »
    Funny note on online dating
    x8dhc0swhwx2.png

The irony... I had the same experience with Brad Pitt & Johnny Depp.
    Dang... it was going so well, then they closed their accounts.
    Blast you, online dating sites... blast you.

If it is the real actors, I'd hate to see their inbox. Then again, I'd never have a chance so wouldn't even try to message them. :p
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    Is it bad that I wouldn’t even recognize it was Sharon Stone and would just message her back if she messaged me. I’m bad at recognizing celebs.
  • FoodBodyChanges
    FoodBodyChanges Posts: 29 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    One thing I’ve learned with online dating is to always carry cash! I had a date with a guy that “forgot” to mention that he was a widower with SIX children. I said that was quite a bit of information that I was not expecting, threw a $20 on the table for the drink and walked out. I don’t date men with children to start with, I DEFINITELY don’t date men that have 6!

lol, send him my way ;)
  • AriesFL wrote: »
    Is it bad that I wouldn’t even recognize it was Sharon Stone and would just message her back if she messaged me. I’m bad at recognizing celebs.

Same here. There's very few I might recognize. But, to me they're just another face in the crowd.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    AriesFL wrote: »

I'm the same. Faces and names. I would be like, that name sounds familiar... Hmm, maybe I've met them before

I couldn't identify celebs in a line up if I had a gun to my head. Unless they were in makeup and costume for a movie or series I have watched several times then sure! Hey! Frodo! Wow, awesome to meet you!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Does anyone else feel like dating sites are just ego shredders.

Hi, you don't know me at all; but here are all the worst things about me taken completely out of context. So, wanna meet up?
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

Hi, you don't know me at all; but here are all the worst things about me taken completely out of context. So, wanna meet up?

I feel they're just giant Sears catalogues. You're flipping through the pages of shirts until one catches your eye... read the description... nope, it's not cotton, next! I like the look of that one... oh, not available in my size, next!

In other words, the initial spark of interest will be based entirely on photos, followed by the standard basic descriptors, and if all those bars are met then maybe the profile gets read.

Photos are an eye-catcher, but I look at the context or setting of the photo. I looked for creativity in the profile.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I’ve had mostly good luck with online dating in the past. I just don’t get out amongst that many people in my everyday life to simply wait around for someone, I also suffer from social anxiety so meeting someone at the bar scene or a party are probably not going to happen for me since I prefer to avoid those situations. I’ve met some guys and there was simply no spark but they were awesome people and we’ve remained good friends for over a decade! Others met for coffee once never to be seen again or they stopped messaging or stood me up/didn’t want to actually meet. I met my now boyfriend online without us even seeing eachothers photos. I read his profile and something about the way he wrote intrigued me, his writing style made his profile stand out from the hundreds of others. I purposefully didn’t have any photos up and his photos were blurry and taken from far away/odd angles so I really couldn’t see what he looked like. I wrote to him first telling him that his profile really stood out from the many others and he wrote back in his unique style, intriguing me even more! Eventually we exchanged photos, had phone conversations and met. He is really good looking, has a fantastic sense of humor, creative and artistic, kind and understanding, etc etc. We have been crazy about eachother for 10 years and still going strong. I think it’s like anything in life, there are no guarantees... but by the same token... nothing ventured, nothing gained. Dating nightmares existed before the internet it’s just that we didn’t hear about them en masse like nowadays. Be safe and good luck to you no matter what route you choose :)

Such a great point about social anxiety and other issues preventing some from meeting partners. I always met a lot of guys in my daily life who weren't compatible with me due to religious and lifestyle differences. I live in the Bible belt near plenty of handsome, nice fellows who are conservative churchgoers and have or plan to have children. It's always worked out much better for me to meet guys online so I can vet them out and know we're of like minds (liberal, non-religious, not parents and never having kids, etc). My husband has Aspergers and while most people would never even realize this about him, he comes off as rather arrogant and self-assured and never had an easy time of meeting women outside of academia & work settings. For some of us online is the way to go!!

You are awesome!!!❤ my son is autistic and while he doesn't have Aspergers... I have met many wonderful people on our journey who were and had trouble meeting s.o.'s because of anxieties or inability to relate in small talk or casual flirting etc....but if someone took the time to look beyond those really superficial limitations for lack of a better word...they'd find some amazing partners.....i think you both are lucky and I hope I'm not out of line here but your post made me really hopeful and happy for more people who absolutely deserve a happily ever after.....so hugs lovely girl....🤗🙌...i wish you both the best 💗

Awww that is so sweet. Thank you. I am very lucky to have him. He's handsome, smart, and hilarious!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

I feel they're just giant Sears catalogues. You're flipping through the pages of shirts until one catches your eye... read the description... nope, it's not cotton, next! I like the look of that one... oh, not available in my size, next!

that might be the most accurate description ever
  • neilmoomey
    neilmoomey Posts: 33 Member
    I tried Tinder for a couple months. It's fun looking at the pics. I did meet a few people and went on a couple dates but I got bored with it and closed my account. I'd rather meet people the old fashion way.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2019
    1sphere wrote: »
    MFP can be online dating

From a number of the emails I've gotten, I'd say so. When they wanted my life story & I didn't comply, they deleted me as a friend. Usually all this transpired in 30-min, haha. Wow, that was fast... speed dating without the date.
  • TarryTaffy wrote: »
    MFP can be online dating

From a number of the emails I've gotten, I'd say so. When they wanted my life story & I didn't comply, they deleted me as a friend. Usually all this transpired in 30-min, haha. Wow, that was fast... speed dating without the date.

And probably 99% of them were married too
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy wrote: »
    MFP can be online dating

And probably 99% of them were married too

Oh, boo... I hope not. Sad for their spouses.
  • neilmoomey wrote: »
    I tried Tinder for a couple months. It's fun looking at the pics. I did meet a few people and went on a couple dates but I got bored with it and closed my account. I'd rather meet people the old fashion way.

And how’s that working out for you? I don’t think I know one couple in the past 5 years or so who haven’t met online.
  • TarryTaffy
    neilmoomey wrote: »

And how’s that working out for you? I don’t think I know one couple in the past 5 years or so who haven’t met online.

Is that mostly in a 20s age range? That age tends to do everything online.

I wonder which age groups mostly use online dating? I'd guess there's a huge 45-55 range, as well, mainly as they're probably freshly divorced & it's been a long time since they dated... online is less intimidating.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy wrote: »
    MFP can be online dating

You’re a guy right? I think you explained that inadvertently before. They might have assumed you were they person in your profile pic

I'm a girl. The profile pic is me. :smile:
    Regardless, the story's the same. :smile: