Less Alcohol - DECEMBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wow, @strugglng18 , another Mainer on board !! Welcome and good luck.
    Cutting back on the alcohol will certainly help the scale go in the other direction, if you don't add other things to your diet to make up for the "drink". Been there, done that, oooppps.
    Lost 30 pounds last year by going AF for several months at a time and putting my nightly chicken\salmon\steak on a dinner plate full of mixed greens rather than pasta\polenta\rice....Back to eating whatever I want, but keeping a watch on my morning weigh-ins.
    Holiday eating sure makes that needle creep up. The "Just have a little glass of wine with the cookies I baked" elves will get back onto the shelf after NYE and the scale & I will be friends again.
    Been doing VERY well with moderation after 4 1\2 months "on the wagon". [Sprains arm patting herself on back for uncapping AF beer instead of uncorking Chianti].

WARNING..."getting drastic" is setting yourself up for failure...IMHO. Slow and steady will get ya' there with fewer bumps in the road.

Feel better @MissMay . Good thing cacciatore is even better the second day.

Just a couple more days to meet your December goal @dawnbgethealthy . January should be easier for everyone...Whew...
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Welcome @strugglng18 you will get lots of help and support with us. Set very small do-able goals to begin so your not disappointed.

Below is our link to next months continued thread: I already checked myself in.

Less Alcohol - JANUARY 2020- One Day at a Time — MyFitnessPal.com
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10776925/less-alcohol-january-2020-one-day-at-a-time
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    My goal is 16-20 AF days for the month.
    I didn't get there in October, ended up with 10 or 11AF days
    November tally 19AF days out of 30 days.
    New month : - )

December 01 - 3 drinks
    December 02 - AF
    December 03 - 3 drinks, Tuesday.
    December 04 - AF - Time to rack up a few AF days before all of the holiday festivities. Or at least try to get back to 2AF days in between drinks days.
    December 05 - AF
    December 06 - 3 drinks - I felt them more than usual, just 2 AF days, but they really hit me. Mind you, I barely eat during the day when I am running around working. I am thinking of you @Womona when you say that they are hitting you more strongly since you have cut down. Many glasses of water since the drinks, and off to bed soon.
    December 07 - AF - had the urge several times, just waited it out.
    December 8 - A bunch of drinks starting with a tree decorating at a friend's place. Tried to keep it at a half shot per drink to stay less alcohol. Kind of lost track, but they were all very small. All good. Planning on AF tomorrow. Tuesday is yet to be seen.
    December 09 - AF
    December 10 - AF - Yes, it is a Tuesday, my designated drinks day, but I am having a very busy week and have a party to go to on Friday where I might have drinks, so skipping the drinks tonight.
    December 11 - AF - Really fought that urge many times after work, but stayed AF. Trying to rack a few up before all of the holiday parties.
    December 12 - AF. Made up a pot of Mulled Wine to take to the party tomorrow night. Tasted it a few times with a fraction of a teaspoon and adjusted the sugar, but am not counting that. I really wanted to have a few glasses of it because it tasted so good, but I will have some at the party tomorrow. AF 4 days in a row for the first time @MissMay!
    December 13 - Mulled wine. So glad that I didn't give in to it Thursday night while cooking it, because it tasted amazing having sat 24 hours. Feeling a bit foggy today (the 14th).
    December 14 - AF
    December 15 - 3 drinks. Started with the leftover mulled wine that wouldn't fit in the vessel to take to the party (2 or 3 ounces), then kind of went "well, not going to be an AF day. That is how it goes for me. AF tomorrow for sure.
    December 16 - AF
    December 17 - Tuesday, 3 drinks. I definitely eat more, and different things when I have alcohol, which is one of the very big reasons to decide to cut back. At my own pace. Your post about other ways to de-stress @MissMay is so lovely and important. I am still using booze to numb myself and relax after stressful days. For sure I understand that deprivation leads to bingeing, so I am not depriving myself by giving myself "drinks days" but I still think that I can do better. I still eat sandwiches, but I only eat 1/2 of one now, for instance. By cutting back on drinking I am limiting the days that I do it. Work in progress.
    December 18 - AF - Planning on Champagne at midnight at a party in Northern Idaho with some close friends on NYE. I have decided that I am going to make and bring hot spiced cider to have around the bonfire and leading up to midnight. Not a heavy drinking crowd. I won't be AF for the last night of the year, but I will be less alcohol. Yes, planning in advance.
    December 19 - 2 drinks. Extremely long work day, I didn't even have the energy to pour my 3rd drink.
    December 20 - AF - Made a batch of mulled cider as a tester for a substitute to yummy mulled wine. It turned out pretty good and got me past a craving.
    December 21 - 3 drinks. Delayed 6 times and was in situations where drinks were offered, and then finally...caved. I have at least 4 more drinks days planned before the month is over (including NYE) so I really hope to scramble together at least 4 more AF days before the month is over. Made up a giant pot of Mulled wine for 2 of those, but didn't have any, just a quick taste and yet again needed to add more sugar. It is mulling, as am I.
    December 22 - AF - I made another substitute today, getting a repertoire of AF drinks together. I do love peppermint schnapps in hot chocolate when it is snowing like it was today, so I made Fry's Cocoa with peppermint extract and a bit of stevia. 20 calories total, and turned out pretty good! I will have to get some brandy extract too!
    December 23 - Mulled wine and other things. Likely the same for today and the next day too.
    December 24 - AF - I cancelled my plans for tonight because I didn't think that I could resist drinks, and want to feel awesome tomorrow. I am taking the mulled wine tomorrow.
    December 25 - Mulled Wine and other stuff.
    December 26 - 3 drinks - running out of days to make my goal
    December 27 - Mulled wine and other stuff.
    December 28 - AF - Still Mulled Wine left over, but it will keep in the fridge. The hostess sent me home with it since she only drinks white wine. I must say that I really enjoyed having a glass of it in the afternoons since I have been off of work for the week since Tuesday evening and had nothing pressing in the following mornings.

Running Tally: 15 AF day out of 28 days so far.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just popping back in to say hello. I haven't done an AF day since about the 22nd but I kind of planned for that. I'm now on holiday in Belgium until 5 January so am letting myself have a break to make the most of Belgian beer and I'll get back on it when I get back home.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    6:57 am in Vegas another 24 💖
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    My goal is 16-20 AF days for the month.
    I didn't get there in October, ended up with 10 or 11AF days
    November tally 19AF days out of 30 days.
    New month : - )

December 01 - 3 drinks
    December 02 - AF
    December 03 - 3 drinks, Tuesday.
    December 04 - AF - Time to rack up a few AF days before all of the holiday festivities. Or at least try to get back to 2AF days in between drinks days.
    December 05 - AF
    December 06 - 3 drinks - I felt them more than usual, just 2 AF days, but they really hit me. Mind you, I barely eat during the day when I am running around working. I am thinking of you @Womona when you say that they are hitting you more strongly since you have cut down. Many glasses of water since the drinks, and off to bed soon.
    December 07 - AF - had the urge several times, just waited it out.
    December 8 - A bunch of drinks starting with a tree decorating at a friend's place. Tried to keep it at a half shot per drink to stay less alcohol. Kind of lost track, but they were all very small. All good. Planning on AF tomorrow. Tuesday is yet to be seen.
    December 09 - AF
    December 10 - AF - Yes, it is a Tuesday, my designated drinks day, but I am having a very busy week and have a party to go to on Friday where I might have drinks, so skipping the drinks tonight.
    December 11 - AF - Really fought that urge many times after work, but stayed AF. Trying to rack a few up before all of the holiday parties.
    December 12 - AF. Made up a pot of Mulled Wine to take to the party tomorrow night. Tasted it a few times with a fraction of a teaspoon and adjusted the sugar, but am not counting that. I really wanted to have a few glasses of it because it tasted so good, but I will have some at the party tomorrow. AF 4 days in a row for the first time @MissMay!
    December 13 - Mulled wine. So glad that I didn't give in to it Thursday night while cooking it, because it tasted amazing having sat 24 hours. Feeling a bit foggy today (the 14th).
    December 14 - AF
    December 15 - 3 drinks. Started with the leftover mulled wine that wouldn't fit in the vessel to take to the party (2 or 3 ounces), then kind of went "well, not going to be an AF day. That is how it goes for me. AF tomorrow for sure.
    December 16 - AF
    December 17 - Tuesday, 3 drinks. I definitely eat more, and different things when I have alcohol, which is one of the very big reasons to decide to cut back. At my own pace. Your post about other ways to de-stress @MissMay is so lovely and important. I am still using booze to numb myself and relax after stressful days. For sure I understand that deprivation leads to bingeing, so I am not depriving myself by giving myself "drinks days" but I still think that I can do better. I still eat sandwiches, but I only eat 1/2 of one now, for instance. By cutting back on drinking I am limiting the days that I do it. Work in progress.
    December 18 - AF - Planning on Champagne at midnight at a party in Northern Idaho with some close friends on NYE. I have decided that I am going to make and bring hot spiced cider to have around the bonfire and leading up to midnight. Not a heavy drinking crowd. I won't be AF for the last night of the year, but I will be less alcohol. Yes, planning in advance.
    December 19 - 2 drinks. Extremely long work day, I didn't even have the energy to pour my 3rd drink.
    December 20 - AF - Made a batch of mulled cider as a tester for a substitute to yummy mulled wine. It turned out pretty good and got me past a craving.
    December 21 - 3 drinks. Delayed 6 times and was in situations where drinks were offered, and then finally...caved. I have at least 4 more drinks days planned before the month is over (including NYE) so I really hope to scramble together at least 4 more AF days before the month is over. Made up a giant pot of Mulled wine for 2 of those, but didn't have any, just a quick taste and yet again needed to add more sugar. It is mulling, as am I.
    December 22 - AF - I made another substitute today, getting a repertoire of AF drinks together. I do love peppermint schnapps in hot chocolate when it is snowing like it was today, so I made Fry's Cocoa with peppermint extract and a bit of stevia. 20 calories total, and turned out pretty good! I will have to get some brandy extract too!
    December 23 - Mulled wine and other things. Likely the same for today and the next day too.
    December 24 - AF - I cancelled my plans for tonight because I didn't think that I could resist drinks, and want to feel awesome tomorrow. I am taking the mulled wine tomorrow.
    December 25 - Mulled Wine and other stuff.
    December 26 - 3 drinks - running out of days to make my goal
    December 27 - Mulled wine and other stuff.
    December 28 - AF - Still Mulled Wine left over, but it will keep in the fridge. The hostess sent me home with it since she only drinks white wine. I must say that I really enjoyed having a glass of it in the afternoons since I have been off of work for the week since Tuesday evening and had nothing pressing in the following mornings.
    December 29 - AF - Happy to get to my 16 - I was kind of planning for the holidays and enjoyed seasonal drinks.

Running Tally: 16 AF day out of 29days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Just popping back in to say hello. I haven't done an AF day since about the 22nd but I kind of planned for that. I'm now on holiday in Belgium until 5 January so am letting myself have a break to make the most of Belgian beer and I'll get back on it when I get back home.

Good plan!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Womona I'm thinking I'll try a dry January too.

I surpassed my December running goals this month by over 25 miles so far. My goal was to get 100 miles. What could this possibly have to do with alcohol? Well for me, no goals have never been accomplished with overconsumption. I do work on finding my balance. So...I might let myself have a drink or two or three between today and tomorrow...

I wish you all the best... sweet group of people here, all of you... every one of you...
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @Womona I'm thinking I'll try a dry January too.

I surpassed my December running goals this month by over 25 miles so far. My goal was to get 100 miles. What could this possibly have to do with alcohol? Well for me, no goals have never been accomplished with overconsumption. I do work on finding my balance. So...I might let myself have a drink or two or three between today and tomorrow...

I wish you all the best... sweet group of people here, all of you... every one of you...

Wow that’s amazing! Congratulations on achieving your running goals! I am impressed.

No alcohol tonight. Yay for me! Four glasses of cranberry and seltzer in a wine glass. Love going to bed sober!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar that is fantastic that you over shot your miles for the month.

@dawnbgethealthy awesome you hit your 16 day AF goal for the month.

As alaways @whitpauly is another day AF in Vegas. Your a great inspriration to us all.

@Womona love your thought on how drinks "multiply like bunnies". It is so true. Been there.
    My December went over the goal I was hoping for to. YET, it is far LESS than I would have had a few years back during this season. And that is what counts. I am very thankful my resistance to alcohol is so low now, because now I stop drinking like a fish so that I don't drown.

A little over 12 hours to go to 2020 BRING IT ON.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Sober January! I'll throw a big party with as much wine as I want after February 16th! Happy New Year, everyone!