You guys, I found pasta that's GASP....HEALTHY!

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Pasta is not usually the problem, it's what we put on it that does the damage...

You haven't seen what one serving of pasta looks like to me (in my past perfect world when I wasn't counting calories :))

Lol... the pasta was just a vector to get the cheeses into my gullet...

I'm a simple girl (who can't cook) so my pasta nirvana was noodles, some butter, and a healthy sprinkling of kraft parmesean cheese.

Or hell, 2 bricks of top ramen. Not even made into soup. Just the noodles with some of the seasoning sprinkled on. 2 bricks...you know...or FOUR FREAKING SERVINGS.

:)

Want me to come cook for ya? I'm a bit of a kitten head, but I can cook.😉

I can handle any *kitten* headedness if the cooking's good enough.

Hmm... tonight is curried chicken thighs and lentils. Tomorrow is black eyed peas, collard greens with the rest of the wild hog ham I made. Then Thursday is beef tagine...

Wtf? Where's the pasta???? :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Pasta is not usually the problem, it's what we put on it that does the damage...

You haven't seen what one serving of pasta looks like to me (in my past perfect world when I wasn't counting calories :))

I'm a simple girl (who can't cook) so my pasta nirvana was noodles, some butter, and a healthy sprinkling of kraft parmesean cheese.

Or hell, 2 bricks of top ramen. Not even made into soup. Just the noodles with some of the seasoning sprinkled on. 2 bricks...you know...or FOUR FREAKING SERVINGS.

Curious -- did you cook it and/or rehydrate it or just eat it dried? (I have in the past snacked on dry ramen, so no judgment, just wondering how you got the seasoning to stick. :smile: )

Ok, fine. I can boil water. :) Cooked it, drained it, threw some of the seasoning on and mixed it up a little. I loved it cuz it was really fast to make and these were the days when I got really caught up in talking to people in chat rooms and forgot to eat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Curious -- did you cook it and/or rehydrate it or just eat it dried? (I have in the past snacked on dry ramen, so no judgment, just wondering how you got the seasoning to stick. :smile: )

Ok, fine. I can boil water. :) Cooked it, drained it, threw some of the seasoning on and mixed it up a little. I loved it cuz it was really fast to make and these were the days when I got really caught up in talking to people in chat rooms and forgot to eat.

Works for me.
    :smile:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Hmm... tonight is curried chicken thighs and lentils. Tomorrow is black eyed peas, collard greens with the rest of the wild hog ham I made. Then Thursday is beef tagine...

Shio ramen is next week.....😉
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Shio ramen is next week.....😉

With Sun Noodles I hope. I mean if we're going to be talking about superior noodles... ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Genuine question - is regular pasta not vegan?

How so?

I am not vegan but just curious as to why OP made a point of saying black bean pasta is Vegan!

anyway I am quite happy cooking regular pasta and I use that in various dishes I cook at home.

Not motivated to try black bean pasta myself - but good luck to those who want to.

Well, some wheat flour noodles are made with egg. I can't attest to language usage throughout the English-speaking world, but in my neck of the woods we call those egg noodles, not pasta, and would not typically use them in the same dishes as eggless semolina "pasta" (e.g., with a marinara, primavera, carbonara, alfredo, sauce, etc.). We use egg noodles in soup (e.g., chicken noodle soup) or as a base for beef/mushroom/lentils stroganoff.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I realise egg noodles would not be vegan - but here too, we would specify egg noodles if we meant that.

Regular pre made wheat pasta does not contain egg though.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

How so?

I am not vegan but just curious as to why OP made a point of saying black bean pasta is Vegan!

anyway I am quite happy cooking regular pasta and I use that in various dishes I cook at home.

Not motivated to try black bean pasta myself - but good luck to those who want to.

Well, some wheat flour noodles are made with egg. I can't attest to language usage throughout the English-speaking world, but in my neck of the woods we call those egg noodles, not pasta, and would not typically use them in the same dishes as eggless semolina "pasta" (e.g., with a marinara, primavera, carbonara, alfredo, sauce, etc.). We use egg noodles in soup (e.g., chicken noodle soup) or as a base for beef/mushroom/lentils stroganoff.

We call pasta made with egg--fettucine. Here it's great with a ragu sauce or mushrooms. Those are just 2 examples. ;)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

I used to tease my brother and ask him if he wanted some pasta with his parmesan...that's all he would put on it too. No butter or anything. Just dry pasta and Kraft grated parmesan cheese.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

How so?

Some fresh pasta (used in the same types of dishes as the dry) is made with egg too. My vegan friend considers that something to watch out for with pasta dishes she doesn't make herself.

Typical dried pasta of the sort we are discussing is, of course, normally vegan.

I always add egg in my home made pasta.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

How so?

Some fresh pasta (used in the same types of dishes as the dry) is made with egg too. My vegan friend considers that something to watch out for with pasta dishes she doesn't make herself.

Typical dried pasta of the sort we are discussing is, of course, normally vegan.

Fresh homemade pasta (pasta fresca) almost always has egg. Pasta secca (dried pasta) does not.

The premise of this thread as expressed in the title is ridiculous. There is nothing unhealthy about pasta in the context of an overall balanced diet.

And, more ridiculous is that his touted product has 20 calories per serving less than the most popular dried pastas.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

How so?

Fresh homemade pasta (pasta fresca) almost always has egg. Pasta secca (dried pasta) does not.

The premise of this thread as expressed in the title is ridiculous. There is nothing unhealthy about pasta in the context of an overall balanced diet.

100% agree: I'm fully on the side of "yay for any food that works for a person in the context of getting reasonable nutrition at reasonable calories (as long as not objectively poison, or individually an allergen/equivalent)".

That said, I think it's equally absurd to disparage the idea (as a few seem to have done) that in some contexts, the extra protein or fiber per calorie of soy pasta might be meaningful and useful to certain people, or to assume that "bean flour + water, made into shapes" is somehow not a real food, but "wheat flour + water, made into shapes" is.

Eat it or don't, enjoy it or don't, in both cases. Meh.

I didn't savor OP's melodrama in the slightest, but there's bilateral yucking of others' yum, or disparagement of others' approaches to foods/nutrition, in this thread. Minor stuff, but IMO it helps no one make their case to 3rd parties.

:flowerforyou:

Totally agree!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I didn’t see anyone in the thread assuming anything, so you coming out of the blue to make a non sequitur like that makes me at least assume you’re a shill for the product.

If the stats are accurate that pasta sounds useful for me, however. I’m a diabetic and regular pasta is too many carbs for me unless I have a very small portion. That is a whopping amount of protein and fiber compared to ordinary pasta.

Looking at Amazon there seem to be two catches: reviewers think it tastes like glue, and it’s absurdly expensive.

I suspect you were looking at the specific brand cited, which indeed is ridiculously expensive at Amazon. Even similar products at more reasonable prices will (likely) be more expensive than basic white pasta, because it's a specialty product vs. available as a commodity product. (Yes, I know there are premium brands of white pasta.)

For me, in brands I get locally, the bean/soy/pea pastas are reasonably priced for a moderate-to-high vegetarian-protein food, but would be expensive for a simple starch side, if that makes any sense.

Your comment made me realize that I should maybe have added that the black bean (not black soybean) pastas I've tried have tended to be more mushy or glue-y, so I don't usually buy them except to try new types (hope springs eternal!); if so, I'm more likely to toss them in a veggie stew or something where texture is less of a feature, just to augment protein and use them up. The small or skinny shapes (spaghetti, fettucine, orzo etc.) are less likely to highlight texture issues, but still . . . . ;)

To me, the soy ones seem mostly chewy, most of the other pea/bean ones not dramatically different from wheat pastas in texture, though (as with wheat pastas) achieving a good al dente quality varies from brand to brand and shape to shape.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

How so?

Yes, sorry, I was thinking of dried pasta since that was what I understood the thread to be about. I've only made fresh pasta a few times, but I think all the recipes I've seen have had egg. Even the standard method seems to imply an egg (make a valley in your hill of flour and put your egg in the hollow. . . ) I guess you could sub oil or a flax egg to make it vegan.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I really like the Barilla red lentil pasta and have it several times a week. It tastes good with or without sauce, has a lot of protein and other nutrients, and it's frequently on sale at my supermarket. I do also have wheat pasta, although I get whole-wheat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How so?

The vast majority of dried pasta is vegan. The only thing you really have to check for is egg noodles, but those are usually pretty easy to spot.

If you're eating fresh pasta, most recipes call for egg. I've made vegan fresh pasta, but if I see it at a restaurant or am offered some, I'm assuming it has egg in it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I didn’t see anyone in the thread assuming anything, so you coming out of the blue to make a non sequitur like that makes me at least assume you’re a shill for the product.

If the stats are accurate that pasta sounds useful for me, however. I’m a diabetic and regular pasta is too many carbs for me unless I have a very small portion. That is a whopping amount of protein and fiber compared to ordinary pasta.

Looking at Amazon there seem to be two catches: reviewers think it tastes like glue, and it’s absurdly expensive.

Amazon is hit or miss on good food prices. I joined a food coop for a while so I could get specialty food at good prices, but quit when I realized I could get a lot of what I wanted at a giant Asian store @ 45 minutes away from me that I go to a few times a year.