Who burns 1000+ cals daily?

Options
13»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I burn between 2300 and 2400 calories daily. Isn't TDEE awesome?!?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I am in the peak 4 weeks of training for a marathon. I run all the time-I’m at the point of training that people dislike because it interferes with normal life activities and it’s absolutely physically exhausting (and unsustainable for any real length of time).

The closest I’ve come is an average of about 700 calories (burned through exercise) a day. That includes very necessary rest days and 20 mile runs.

I have no desire or physical ability to do more than that.

I’m also unlikely to motivate anyone to do anything. I’m busy motivating myself to go do yet another long-*kitten* run when I really just want to eat and nap.

As a runner who does marathon training regularly, I have had individual *days* where I've burned 1,000 or more (mostly if I do a long run on a weekend day and then do other activities later in the day). But to do that every day? It would be too hard for me to sustain that, employment, and other non-physical activities that are important to me. And what would be the point?

Exactly. For sure I have individual days where I’m over 1000. But not an everyday thing, and certainly not something that I really could do everyday-and my highest overall average lands me around 700 (with a 2000+ day, a 1000+ day, one just about 1000 and a couple in the 400-500 range and rest days). 50 miles weeks are...rough (for me) and take a huge chunk of time. The 3-4 they are my peak of training are more than enough.

And exactly-what is the point? I’m not running 20 miles (or any miles) to burn calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 That post should be required reading here!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 That post should be required reading here!

It needs to be stickied as it's own thread!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i totally have a girl crush on @AnnPT77
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    1000 calories with exercise? are you working out 1/2 the day? I mean I know it is possible, but I work out pretty intense every day of the week and burn around 400, MAYBE 500.

If you pick high cal burning workouts you don't need to spend half a day

OP, I've already posted that weight loss is not my focus when training, but the ongoing discussion regarding "burning 1000 calories a day" piqued my interest. I went back and checked my Training Peaks data to find a couple time periods where my activities contributed to a 1000 calories/day expenditure as a weekly average. I am confident in my calorie expenditure numbers from my Garmin devices, especially cycling, since I have a power meter that captures watts, which is a true measure of work.

<snip impressive exercise details for reply length, or because intimidating, you choose ;) >

Note that even though my weekly average was over 1000/day for those two weeks, I only exceeded the number on a couple of days. The long bike rides skewed the results. So in my case, I did spend half a day or more in training and took in roughly 1500 calories in fuel to support the workouts. :)

Finally, I should note that these were two high volume weeks for me. Most of my training weeks are at lower volume.

I'd observe that (1) you're a guy, so odds are that you're physically larger than the average woman, at the same BMI, so things like running burn more calories per minute for you automagically; (2) you're clearly a conditioned athlete, so you're capable of burning more calories per minute (or of bringing on less fatigue at any given calories per minute level for any given duration) than someone who's less conditioned.

re: #1 - Guilty as charged! ;)

re: #2 - my point in showing some actual training data was to demonstrate that even in high volume training plans, almost all days are <1000 calories, and I noted that the high volume days are supported by fueling within the session.

And of course, the larger point, that the cyclists and marathoners have made, is that the "burn tons of calories daily" approach isn't an effective long term weight loss strategy and potentially harmful.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I burn between 2300 and 2400 calories daily. Isn't TDEE awesome?!?

Still buff!
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Well said. :) keep up the good work. For nay sayers this is how it is possible.

Ha, I was a bit nervous about posting in case I got kebabbed but I can confirm I definitely do not spend my whole life exercising and do not obsess about exercising - which is one of the concerns about doing a lot of exercise. In 2019, as well as losing 32kg, I read 113 books with the goodreads reading challenge, I kept a 499 day streak alive on duolingo and memorise as I study French, German and Mandarin. I hold down a very busy day job, I rehomed our 20th foster dog and took on our 21st foster dog, I do a lot of baking and jigsaw puzzles and also watch a lot of movies and tv, for which I write fan fic of variable quality :)

I do do a lot of multi-tasking though, so for instance, I'm a member of our Buy Nothing Group and every item I gift, I deliver in person with my dogs - although that's been hindered in recent weeks because of the heavy smoke from the bushfires down here. I listen to a lot of audiobooks while walking/exercising. I suspect many people wouldn't capture casual walks / walking around the shopping centre but I do - although I don't capture housework. For me it works. I'm not saying other people should do 1,000 calories a day and I often don't do 1,000 exercise but I frequently do. As I've mentioned, even though my Garmin is probably over-estimating exercise calories, it does not seem to have adversely affected my weight loss achievement and my current maintenance state...

I think the main reason people are 'challenging' you is that they don't understand why you've come to the figure of 1000. For me, I don't aim for a particular exercise figure, I'm just trying to make sure I have an adequate amount of exercise to offset calories eaten. I try to eat within my budget even now I'm in maintenance and exercise helps me to increase my budget - although if I can't exercise on a particular day, I eat less to stay within my budget.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    1000 calories with exercise? are you working out 1/2 the day? I mean I know it is possible, but I work out pretty intense every day of the week and burn around 400, MAYBE 500.

If you pick high cal burning workouts you don't need to spend half a day

OP, I've already posted that weight loss is not my focus when training, but the ongoing discussion regarding "burning 1000 calories a day" piqued my interest. I went back and checked my Training Peaks data to find a couple time periods where my activities contributed to a 1000 calories/day expenditure as a weekly average. I am confident in my calorie expenditure numbers from my Garmin devices, especially cycling, since I have a power meter that captures watts, which is a true measure of work.

<snip impressive exercise details for reply length, or because intimidating, you choose ;) >

Note that even though my weekly average was over 1000/day for those two weeks, I only exceeded the number on a couple of days. The long bike rides skewed the results. So in my case, I did spend half a day or more in training and took in roughly 1500 calories in fuel to support the workouts. :)

Finally, I should note that these were two high volume weeks for me. Most of my training weeks are at lower volume.

I'd observe that (1) you're a guy, so odds are that you're physically larger than the average woman, at the same BMI, so things like running burn more calories per minute for you automagically; (2) you're clearly a conditioned athlete, so you're capable of burning more calories per minute (or of bringing on less fatigue at any given calories per minute level for any given duration) than someone who's less conditioned.

re: #1 - Guilty as charged! ;)

re: #2 - my point in showing some actual training data was to demonstrate that even in high volume training plans, almost all days are <1000 calories, and I noted that the high volume days are supported by fueling within the session.

And of course, the larger point, that the cyclists and marathoners have made, is that the "burn tons of calories daily" approach isn't an effective long term weight loss strategy and potentially harmful.

Reading myself back, I had one of those "gosh I was unclear" reactions.

To clarify: My point - the intended one, anyway - was not criticism, still less dismissal of your very useful data points.

My point was that (1) you're a serious, conditioned athlete, (2) nonetheless, 1000 calories daily from intentional workout-type exercise is unusual even for you (even as an average, let alone 1000 daily on successive days), and (3) it's even less likely or achievable for someone who's (probably) smaller and less well-conditioned.

Apologies if it came across as critical or dismissive. Intent was to say that your post should be extra persuasive because you're more capable of achieving that particular stretch goal vs. someone smaller, less conditioned.

And before any 3rd party chimes in with "but conditioned athletes burn fewer calories because efficiency: No. Just no. That's not how physics works. It will feel easier to the conditioned athlete. A HRM or tracker may estimate fewer calories for them because their stronger hearts pump more blood per stroke so beat slower doing the same work. The work is the work, the work is what burns energy (calories), in the CV exercise realm . . . not the feelingz, not the heartbeats.

Apologies if my post came across as a diss!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    (2) nonetheless, 1000 calories daily from intentional workout-type exercise is unusual even for you (even as an average, let alone 1000 daily on successive days)

@AnnPT77 - No apology needed! We're making similar points, sometimes we just can't read each other's mind. ;)

Experiences recalled by the endurance types is that these high expenditure amounts are fairly infrequent occurrences (only occurring on long run/bike days) and when these "big days" occur, both extra fuel intake and recovery are needed. And if huge calorie burns are pursued via a high intensity approach, other issues come into play that make the approach unsustainable (and NO fun!), as you noted previously.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    (snip 'cos blushing)
    pinuplove wrote: »
    (snip for sake of modesty, or its simulacrum)
    (snip because kinda group hug? :) )

You guys are really sweet, truly. :flowerforyou:

The post I wish all the "eat below my 'MFP given' 1200 and exercise hard for more deficit" crowd would read is the heart-wrenching, tragic one from the young woman who, at 25, experienced heart failure from doing exactly this, with life-long major consequences to health, not to mention appearance:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

No one young cares in any visceral way about what might happen when they're old, even though their older self will wish they had (trust me on this). Psychologically, they're still immortal and invincible, on some implicit level.

No one young (or of any age, really) is very likely to learn from someone else's experience and advice. It's just human.

Will the awful thing that happened to that 25-year old happen to everyone who does this? No, of course not. But it can happen to some. There was no warning. She was not monstrously underweight. She felt good and strong . . . until her heart failed, and she became an invalid.

This is a thing that can happen to a young, apparently healthy woman with no warning, from extreme dieting.

How much risk do you want in your life? That's the question.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Since I'm being Preachy McPreacherdottir here, let me say that it's not from a lofty pulpit of having done things right before reaching the semi-advanced age of 64.

I didn't yo-yo diet much: Too much of a hedonist, and married to a guy** who accepted me (loved me) whatever I weighed. I got fat, and stayed fat (obese) for literally decades.

I didn't get enough exercise, though it wasn't zero, and tended to strength-sustaining things, though usually short of weight training. I mostly ate well/nutritiously, just way too much, and drank too much, though not to the point of life-impairing nonfunctionality.

There's some evidence that yo-yoing is more dangerous to health than staying fat, as I understand it; and that being fat and active long-term is substantially more beneficial than fat and inactive. But it's still a bad thing to be seriously overweight, risk-wise, of course.

I got stage III breast cancer, which is more likely among obese, inactive women; I had 60% chance of survival for 5 years, and it's been 19+. Lucky.

My gallbladder was removed due to an inflammatory/cholesterolized condition that can be precancerous (it wasn't - lucky again), and that was almost certainly related to my weight and behavior.

I'm a short-endurance athlete, quite active, and have been for 15+ years. Now 64, I've been at a healthy weight for almost 5 years. The athleticism was a big improvement to my day to day quality of life, and being at a healthy weight another big one, too. All my blood tests, blood pressure, etc., are now solidly normal (they weren't, before weight loss).

Nonetheless, my recent CT scan shows arterial calcification (seemingly not too extreme, thankfully). I may have early COPD/emphysema (still in diagnostic process, not significantly symptomatic), something that isn't part of my genetic background. Guess what? Obesity is considered a probable risk factor, and there's correlation with inactivity, too.

So, if I could go back and counsel . . . hmm . . . maybe even b****-slap young Ann into more sensible behavior, I would. Not that it would work. ;) But my life now would almost certainly be better, if she'd behaved differently.

Y'know, sometimes I really am a downer. :lol:

** Who died 20 years ago at age 45, after smoking for most of his life, from a cancer that may be triggered in part by smoking. That's another preach, but I'd strongly suggest not smoking, too. If I have COPD, that may not be irrelvant (second hand smoke), even though I'm a nonsmoker. Dunno. But folks might wanna consider the family/roommates, too . . . even if you don't have children to model good health for.