Good or Bad Food?

Options

Replies

• BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow. Ok. It's just my opinion. I don't think cake is good for you and walnuts are better for you. The end

I'm allergic to walnuts, so cake is better for me!

Ok that's completely understandable
    I'm allergic to a lot of seafood
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Wow. Ok. It's just my opinion. I don't think cake is good for you and walnuts are better for you. The end

Eating a small piece of cake and 1 tonne of walnuts wouldn't work out very well for me. Doesn't make either of those foods good or bad however.

Walnuts are heart healthy and cake is not <necessarily>
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I do understand what you are asking. I quit logging a while back because cake was less calories than walnuts and I thought that was ridiculous. I wish there were a way to determine the health factors of each food.

Calories are a unit of energy measurement. You need a certain amount of calories to maintain your present physical form and any and all activity you perform each day. If you eat that amount your weight will stay the same. If you eat more your body will store some of it. If you eat less your body will use stored energy to make up the difference.

The amount of calories found in a walnut is the amount of energy it can provide you. It is not an indication of quality. Understanding that walnuts carry a big calorie price tag is very helpful in weight management. Many people make the mistake of thinking "healthy" food will provide healthy results. It does not work that way. Everything needs to be portion controlled. The funny thing is that a person who doesn't log and is trying to lose weight may be safer with cake because it is generally understood you need a very small portion. That same person may be snacking on way too many walnuts and failing to lose weight or possibly even gaining.

I get you. Calories aside, I just don't think cake should be considered same as walnuts. Maybe I'm wrong. Ok. It's my opinion. Idk about you but I have a hard time eating a small portion of cake. I don't eat a whole bag of walnuts either. I never thought in a million years I'd have these many disagrees over my opinion of cake
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I do understand what you are asking. I quit logging a while back because cake was less calories than walnuts and I thought that was ridiculous. I wish there were a way to determine the health factors of each food.

Calories are a unit of energy measurement. You need a certain amount of calories to maintain your present physical form and any and all activity you perform each day. If you eat that amount your weight will stay the same. If you eat more your body will store some of it. If you eat less your body will use stored energy to make up the difference.

The amount of calories found in a walnut is the amount of energy it can provide you. It is not an indication of quality. Understanding that walnuts carry a big calorie price tag is very helpful in weight management. Many people make the mistake of thinking "healthy" food will provide healthy results. It does not work that way. Everything needs to be portion controlled. The funny thing is that a person who doesn't log and is trying to lose weight may be safer with cake because it is generally understood you need a very small portion. That same person may be snacking on way too many walnuts and failing to lose weight or possibly even gaining.

I get you. Calories aside, I just don't think cake should be considered same as walnuts. Maybe I'm wrong. Ok. It's my opinion. Idk about you but I have a hard time eating a small portion of cake. I don't eat a whole bag of walnuts either. I never thought in a million years I'd have these many disagrees over my opinion of cake

I don't think anyone gave you a disagree for saying cake and walnuts should be on the same playing field. They are very different foods. I think you got them because you seemed to suggest that walnuts should be lower because of some type of health virtue.

Oh and I didn't give you a disagree. You are entitled to your opinion just do not let it get in the way of your progress.

I do not like cake so it is easy for me to control my portion. On the other hand I made some dark chocolate and peanut butter rice krispie treats for the holidays that I found ridiculously addictive. I won't be making those again anytime soon.

• BuffaloChixSalad
    Options

I don't think anyone gave you a disagree for saying cake and walnuts should be on the same playing field. They are very different foods. I think you got them because you seemed to suggest that walnuts should be lower because of some type of health virtue.

Oh and I didn't give you a disagree. You are entitled to your opinion just do not let it get in the way of your progress.

I do not like cake so it is easy for me to control my portion. On the other hand I made some dark chocolate and peanut butter rice krispie treats for the holidays that I found ridiculously addictive. I won't be making those again anytime soon.

I bake cakes as a profitable hobby and everytime I gain weight it's because I make too many at the house and I get carried away quickly. I love cake. I love walnuts. And those rice krispies sound amazing. I'll allow a small treat here and there but for me, I have to watch it
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options

I wish I was the same :(. I would rather have a problem moderating a "sometimes" food than a pantry food.

I don't eat cake often because it's not an "often" food, but when I do, a slice is more than enough. Walnuts (or any nuts, really), on the other hand, are dangerous to my weight management because a handful is never enough. I would need to eat 2-3 times the calories of a slice of cake worth of nuts to be satisfied.

Exactly this. This is exactly what I'm saying
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I bake cakes as a profitable hobby and everytime I gain weight it's because I make too many at the house and I get carried away quickly. I love cake. I love walnuts. And those rice krispies sound amazing. I'll allow a small treat here and there but for me, I have to watch it

Those rice krispie treats were pure evil. If MFP ever created a bad list of food they should be at the top.

Most people love cake so I can imagine you make a fair amount of money. I am generally not a sweet eater at all but those rk treats put a spell on me.

Mostly my treats are salty snacks so if I were going to have a problem it would more likely to be with the walnuts. Luckily I am conditioned now to be extra cautious around any nuts.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

What does that have to do with which one has more calories? (Anyway, that's going to depend on the amount of each you consume.)

You do realize that it's possible to log in MFP and ALSO focus on eating a healthful diet, right? Many of us here are nutrition nerds and are very into eating nutritionally-dense foods and a well-rounded, balanced diet for the most part, but also realize that calories are what determine weight gain, loss, or maintenance.