What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    Tonight (Monday, 01/06): roast chicken breast, baked potato, sauteed Italian-style eggplant (eggplant, tomatoes, onion, garlic, seasonings). About 863 cals as shown, per MFP (65g protein, 25g fat - mostly olive oil, 96g carb). This is a pretty simple meal.

yszmgkj2vab4.jpg
  • jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    2 lamb chops with rosemary, paprika-roasted potatoes, and green beans (and a dr. pepper). About a thousand calories :s but I had room for it in the daily allotment. I think I need a bigger plate. 6syfwb25jkw6.jpg
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    2 lamb chops with rosemary, paprika-roasted potatoes, and green beans (and a dr. pepper). About a thousand calories :s but I had room for it in the daily allotment. I think I need a bigger plate. 6syfwb25jkw6.jpg

1000 calories? I'm legit shocked!
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    I just started mid-December trying Dream Dinners - not all 'calorie-friendly' but meals put together with each step in a bag where you freeze then take out and cook and eat and/or re-freeze portions. trying to re-start my cooking at home. so last night after work I cooked 2 meals I had thawed and needed to fix - meatballs in a sweet sesame glaze and a chicken wild rice soup. I will try the soup today for lunch - the meatballs I still need to fix some rice to go with so they may end up being frozen into individual servings until I return from vacation!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Today I made my husbands favorite--Pasta with butter. I used penne pasta cooked al dente, after I drained it I put it back in the pan and put cutup slices of butter on to melt, stir, then I sprinkled freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top, stirred again and added a little of the cooking water (that I saved in a cup), stir again and serve. More cheese can be sprinkled on top at the table. The trick is to use a very good quality semolino pasta. This is very simple and anyone can do it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I made chicken and gnocci soup yesterday in the crock pot
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member

Thats not 1000 calories, unless they used a whole lot of butter or oil.🤔
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    widgit808 wrote: »

Given that it's lamb, I can believe it. Lamb meat can have as much as 50% fat (especially ribs) if not trimmed well, and even if you trim visible fat well it still ends up fatty. If fat isn't trimmed at all, it can make up as much as 60% of the nutrient weight and something like 75% of the calories!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,904 Member
    widgit808 wrote: »

poster did say and a Dr Pepper.

If it was a can of non diet Dr Pepper, that would add couple of hundred calories?

• snowflake954
    Pasta (mezza maniche) with porcini mushrooms, EVOO, garlic, white wine, a touch of pepper flakes, and veg broth. Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top.
  • calijenni
    calijenni Posts: 1 Member
    Air fried chicken leg meat, homemade black beans and southern style mixed greens
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 430 Member
    Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches (w/ garlic, yum!)
  • snowflake954
    Pasta with tuna and green olives--a family favorite.
  • snowflake954
    Last night pieces of chicken breast wrapped in "speck" (a cured, thinly sliced pork product) and browned in a nonstick pan until carmelized on the outside. Then I pan fried raw cauliflower in EVOO and spices until crusty.
  • mjbnj0001
    Baked lemon-pepper parmesan panko flounder, plus sides (incl. sauteed spinach, seen cooking top left). Actually, after inspection, popped this pan back into the oven for a few more minutes, so final product is a bit more toasty brown. Sides include brown rice and steamed veggies. About to go figure the MFP macros now.

szyqm0lflwgv.jpg
  • mjbnj0001

how was the tuna prepared?
  • snowflake954
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

We have canned tuna packed in olive oil. I squeeze the oil into a pan and add chopped salty green olives, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and a bit of pepper. I heat this up and when it boils for a minute I add some of the brine (I do not add any other salt)and bring to a boil again. As soon as it boils I turn off the flame. After a few minutes I add the tuna and stir. I don't like to overcook tuna, it's already cooked. When the pasta is al dente and drained, I add the sauce plus fresh basil, if I have it, and stir a little to coat.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    No photos. But I made Mexican stuffed shells.

I took ground chicken, cooked it & seasoned it with taco seasoning, I also added onion, jalapeno & some Rotel to the meat. I boiled 12 jumbo pasta shells, stuffed them with the meat and put them in a 9x9 baking dish. Then mixed a 1/2 cup of taco sauce and a 1/2 cup of salsa and poured it on top of the shells, topped it was a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar and baked til melty. Served them with sour cream. 121cal, 9g protein and 10g carb per shell, very tasty and filling.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

We have canned tuna packed in olive oil. I squeeze the oil into a pan and add chopped salty green olives, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and a bit of pepper. I heat this up and when it boils for a minute I add some of the brine (I do not add any other salt)and bring to a boil again. As soon as it boils I turn off the flame. After a few minutes I add the tuna and stir. I don't like to overcook tuna, it's already cooked. When the pasta is al dente and drained, I add the sauce plus fresh basil, if I have it, and stir a little to coat.

Interesting. Worth a try, thanks. Over the years, I've often given a little thought to what to do with the oil besides flush it down the drain, but never turned thought into action. Good for you.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    Speck is the dutch word for bacon.