How to talk to guys!?

Options
So I just realized that being in a relationship for three years has made me completely HOPELESS at attracting and speaking to men.

So I really need some help on this, because at some point in my life I'm probably going to want to talk to guy. Maybe.

I really don't want to wait around for guys to talk to me, you know? I want to be able to take the initiative too!

Replies

• Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can say just about anything to a guy and have his attention.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Meh. I wouldn't sweat it. It's not like most of them will be listening anyway. :tongue:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would try to approach a guy in a place you go often, because then right off the bat..you have something in common. Also, I would have some topic starters ready...like, where are you from? So, what do you do? etc.

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll do awesome though :)
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

But that doesn't help my intense fear of talking to men D: I need like, a proven method or something otherwise I'll stand in the corner with my knee's knocking haha

And these "men" that I'll be talking to are more like young adults, (18-23) so does that theory apply to them as well? lol :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the other guys here , but "I dunno.. what do you want to do?" always gets my attention.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Some "liquid courage" may help :)

edit: Sorry...I just saw your age...Ignore that :)
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to imagine this, but we are more intelligent than we come across. You can just be yourself and have a conversation. That's it. We want a girl who is 100 percent themselves. It's that simple.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

But that doesn't help my intense fear of talking to men D: I need like, a proven method or something otherwise I'll stand in the corner with my knee's knocking haha

And these "men" that I'll be talking to are more like young adults, (18-23) so does that theory apply to them as well? lol :)

yes it applies to them too..... i mean seriously..... whats the worst thing that they can say.... no? well mabe there are some other things they can say too, but i doubt it....
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to imagine this, but we are more intelligent than we come across. You can just be yourself and have a conversation. That's it. We want a girl who is 100 percent themselves. It's that simple.

Well said :)
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you're not terrifying to try and talk to! haha

I guess I just need help working on my self confidence hahaha
  • jb83
    jb83 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've found that over the years the shyness (fear?) subsides. I'm guessing this fear isn't just about talking to men??? May it also be bosses at work or professors at school? The best thing to do is to work on feeling more confident about who you are as a person.... and this will become easier for you! In the mean time, remember that you are JUST TALKING! If the guy is worth ANYTHING he will do his best to make you feel at ease... that'll be a usefull tool for you when deciding if he is compatible!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I just try to pretend they are people and talk to them like that.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    confidence
    sense of humor
    eye contact

that's all you need!
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I just try to pretend they are people and talk to them like that.

lol this is funny, although that's not what I meant
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

Just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you're not terrifying to try and talk to! haha

I guess I just need help working on my self confidence hahaha

Self confidence is good, but don't focus on that for the reason holding you back on guys. Focus on being YOU. If you are yourself, that alone will make you more attractive and you will find it easier to talk to him because you won't be worried about things as much, because you are who you are.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    In all likelihood, they are more afraid of you than you are of them. Or is that for bears?
    Just be yourself.
  • bcatalano89
    Options
    i know how you feel i was in a relationship for over 2 1/2 years and when it ended I was extremely rusty in the talking to men department. i have found that just being yourself and acting calm and casual works pretty well. it was a little nerve racking at first but it subsides after a while... Good Luck!!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I honestly can`t imagine how it would be difficult to talk to a guy.
    Just treat him nice and be a friend.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    just be yourself, and ask questions. guys like it when you ask about them.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you make really good sammichs