Halo Top. Yay or Nay?

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2020
    I love peach flavor Halo Top but prefer Enlightened Sea Salt Caramel at about the same amount of calories. It's more expensive per pint though.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    I can't stand Halo Top, partially because some flavors are made with coconut milk. ! I love Chilly Cow brown butter caramel bars and the mint is pretty good, Breyer's Deights cookies and cream is good, and I like Enlightened Salted Caramel, Triple Chocolate, Peanut butter chocolate, and Caramel Oatmeal Cookie though I think the latter and triple chocolate are discontinued as I found them at Grocery Outlet.

Of course regular ice cream is better, I just had Baskin Robbins peanut butter ice cream in an ice cream cake and forgot how good fat is, though it really ate into my calories!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    The Lemon Top is yummy. Good substitute for ice cream for lower calories. Isn't as likely to trigger overeating for me.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2020
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I can't stand Halo Top, partially because some flavors are made with coconut milk.

I believe only the specific vegan varieties are made with coconut milk (the rest have skim milk). The easy way to tell the difference is writing on the side of the lid means it's vegan, and a solid colored edge is non-vegan.
  • sulwen314
    sulwen314 Posts: 21 Member
    I love it, personally. I can't eat dairy, so I'm used to coconut milk versions of ice cream anyway, and I think some of the vegan flavors are very good. I particularly like the cookie dough, candy bar, and salted caramel flavors. I actually like that it's not AMAZINGLY delicious. It's good enough that it satisfies my dessert craving, and not SO good that I want to binge on it. A very happy medium for me. I've never had any GI distress after eating it either, even a whole pint.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I like Halo Top, but find that I tend to prefer other brands of "light" ice cream. I usually reach for Breyers, or Market Pantry if I'm in Target.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've had most of the vegan ones. They range from "pretty good" to "pretty terrible." The Candy Bar and the Oatmeal Cookie are probably the best ones, IMO.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2020
    I use HT when I need a hit of protein at the end of the day.

Flavors I like:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Gingerbread House
    Caramel Macchiato
    Sea Salt Caramel
    Strawberry
    Pumpkin Pie

Flavors I had to throw in the trash because they were so bad:
    Pancakes and Waffles
    Blueberry Crumble
    Rainbow Swirl (aka Play-doh)
  • kpoe1981
    kpoe1981 Posts: 14 Member

Flavors I like:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Gingerbread House
    Caramel Macchiato
    Sea Salt Caramel
    Strawberry
    Pumpkin Pie

Pancakes and Waffles
    Blueberry Crumble

Lol Aka Play-doh! I'll be sure to skip that one
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Flavors I like:
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Gingerbread House
    Caramel Macchiato
    Sea Salt Caramel
    Strawberry
    Pumpkin Pie

Pancakes and Waffles
    Blueberry Crumble

I couldn't finish the pancakes and waffles one either and I'm usually not picky at all when it comes to sweet things.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2020
    I mean they're decent ice cream for the protein and calories if you want an indulgent snack.

Problem is you've got to take out a home equity loan to keep them stocked if you like ice cream.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I read rave reviews of HT on here. When it finally came to Canada, I took a closer look and found out it's about the same calories per serving as ice cream, but more expensive.

And yeah, I did originally think the calories were for the WHOLE pint, not per serving.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Interesting.

Here in the US, a whole pint (at 240-360 calories for the pint, most flavors I've seen below 300) is in the ballpark of a 1/2C serving of most premium full-fat real-sugar ice cream (250 and up, usually).

Still not worth eating the HT, IMO, though. ;)

Yes, as a Ben & Jerry's fan, this calorie comparison was my experience as well.

@zyxst what brand were you using as a comparison?
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    I really like the Peanut Butter Cup, and it doesn’t seem to aggravate my blood sugars (diabetic). Can’t say if it’ll be that way with other diabetics.

Birthday Cake was OK. It tasted a lot like actual birthday cake, which meant I was satisfied after a small scoop. I guess that’s good?

My favourite low-cal ice cream is probably Oppo’s Chocolate and Hazelnut, but the Halo Top Peanut Butter Cup is a good second.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    I enjoy getting whip cream in a can an spraying it in a bowl and it seems like ice cream then.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I like some of the flavors of HT- BUT I like chilly cow or enlightened much better--- Aslo Ht(dairy free is horrible) to me. Could not stomach even more than a few bites- I do like the "slow churned" Edy brands of ice cream- they are delish and only 50 or so more calories--
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    I like Enlightened better but some flavors of HT are pretty good. I usually eat the birthday cake. I eat a very low carb, super low sugar diet so any treat that fits this sweet spot is pretty rad for me. I tolerate sugar alcohols pretty well and HT don’t bother me.
    If I wasn’t so macro focused I’d probably pick a different treat.

Lol I did eat about a pint a day for like four months...
  • emeraldeyes2020
    emeraldeyes2020 Posts: 231 Member
    They taste great but still carbs are a little high for me if I eat a whole 375ml pot I can’t stop at the suggested 2 scoop = 1portion 😋
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think Halo Top is pretty all right...I am a bit meh about it. I eat it in 2 or 3 servings, and I'm kind of a 'large serving' person for a lot of things but was never one to down a whole little tub of regular ice cream even in the past, so, I dunno.

Favorite Halo Top flavors for me have been green tea mochi and oatmeal cookie. I liked the birthday cake one, too.

I really like Chilly Cow best, though. Brownie batter or the chocolate-java chip version.

And Arctic Zero is foul. I had to throw it out.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I have tried a variety of the different so called lightened up ice creams. Halo Top is my favorite, followed by Rebel.

I like the Carmel Sea Salt, Strawberry and the Vanilla Bean.

I understand what the portion size is. But I buy and literally take out of its container and put in smaller individual containers and into freezer. This way I can control my brain from having me eat the whole container in a sitting.
    And I only buy once a month.

Personally I like Publix Frozen low fat Yogurt so much better, but I cannot control myself well with that. And it is not good for my diabetes. So the Halo Top once in awhile does it.