February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Opened February with 4.8 miles and my very first trail run casualty. I let a mountain biker pass us (because duh) but the dog likes to chase mountain bikers. So I'm prepared as she takes off but then she loses sight of him and slows down. I was trying to grab the top loop on her leash to control her a bit more, she sees him again and takes off. This time I wasn't quite ready and there was lots of loose rock. I went down. Have a cut on my right palm, a bruise forming on my left knee (painful at that) and a scraped up right knee. My UA capris also have a hole in the right knee now. Photos on my instagram story. I can't post a link but same user name with _ between each word.

Hope you're alright *Hugs*

I ran a good bit today near a guy with a dog, and was really impressed with how well the dog was doing, following commands to move over, staying right in front of his owner but not pulling him along. He definitely seemed used to running.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Well Howdy Folks! It's good to be back. Week1,Day1 of recovery for 2020.
    Did 17x walk(3min)/run(1min) intervals. Absolutely no pain. This is how running ought to feel like, right? Perfect weather for it too, 59F with 7mph wind. Feels soooooo good to be back doing something again. Have gained over 5lbs during these last couple months of little to no running.
    Glad you are back! The Walk/run intervals helped me in coming back from my hamstring injury. Sounds like you have a sensible plan. Hoping February continues to be pain free for you!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Quite a successful run today! Total of 12 miles!

Yay! Well done!
    Hope you get your ankle figured out soon.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @runsonespresso - no falling ok, NO Falling! No repeat of the broken leg! Seriously I hope you are not too sore and that you heal quickly!
    @scott6255 - It is great to see you back here and back running!
    @avidkeo - can you do something to get the missed runs to sync from strata over to Running Heros? I have problems with Strava automatically syncing sometimes but I can manually tell it to sync and that usually works.
    @polskagirl01 - I had to laugh that it wasn't muddy enough!
    When I run with Hobbes he runs slightly in front of me or right at my side and being able to give him commands (right, left, with me, leave it, etc.) is essential. I also think when you run for a while with your pup they do get in tune with you. Sometimes he anticipates what he thinks I am going to do and gets it wrong but most of the time he is right on.
    @Camaramandy648 - My runs aren't syncing to RTY either. I was going to try some things with the app to see if it would start working again.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @PastorVincent i am currently figuring out my ankle by getting a pedicure hahahahaha

@shanaber I’m glad I’m not the only one! This is the first problem I’ve had with it!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @PastorVincent i am currently figuring out my ankle by getting a pedicure hahahahaha

This is an excellent plan!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso Hope your injuries aren't too bad! Dogs can be so strong when they unexpectedly take off.
  • Camaramandy648
    @RunsOnEspresso i recently tore the muscles in my shoulder because Buzz (malamute) took off. I had to get muscle relaxers for that - i initially thought it was much worse- the pain was so bad!

Today after my run, I was walking him and he saw a cat that I didn’t see so I was unprepared. He took right off - i went bounding forward almost completely airborn but caught myself on my left heel. It was SUCH a shock!

I hope you are okay!
  • Camaramandy648
    4 pages behind already and it is only the 1st!!!! You crazy lot 🤣

After a month of annoyance in January I just want to get back to running and not shuffling like I have been for weeks. The target 191 miles including 50 brisk walking and an additional 143 miles on the bike. If I can let go of the fact I am over 100 miles behind my training plan and stop trying to make up for what I missed then I can do this and hopefully stop picking up niggles!!! I have two halves in Feb as part of the plan and cannot afford to miss more miles.

Feb started poorly. A couple of days of disorganised chaos, ended up driving to work when I was supposed to be WFH yesterday to fix someone's mistake which meant nobody was getting paid, and then I was apparently the only person in an office of 30 people who could go to London today for a careers con - send the Finance guy when we have 20+ sales people! Sat on my butt in the car for nearly 5 hours so will get out tomorrow for a proper run 😊

Really looking forward to your marathon @LoveyChar - show us how it's done!!!

Have a good run tomorrow @shanaber

Hopefully you mend quickly @RunsOnEspresso

exercise.png

@TheMrWobbly you remind me of me! Especially with the work stuff! I am “the finance guy,” too. My background is accounting but I left my last job because I felt that it didn’t play to my strengths. It was a basic accounting position - journal entries, reviewing accounts, paying bills, filing taxes, fixing mistakes. I was so bored! I came to my present job because they said I’d have to wear a lot of hats and do lots of different things. Plus, I’m not expected to sit still and do the same things all day every day. I still do mostly cost accounting - it’s my primary task, but I ALSO get to be HR, Safety, Trainer, Big Sister, A Living Calendar, Life Coach, Accountability Coach, Moral Police Officer (haha). Further, I am The Fixer. Any time there’s a problem, it doesn’t matter who’s ACTUALLY responsible- I am the one to fix it.

So I get it. January was really intense and not good for us either and I JUST want to get back to running consistently, according to the plan.

Here’s to a better February for both of us!

And @LoveyChar i CANNOT WAIT to hear about your marathon!
  • Camaramandy648
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    February 16th - marathon, then taper down afterwards on a short month so goal set at 80 miles.

@LoveyChar it is getting SO CLOSE! How are you feeling? I am so excited for you!!!!!! I want to know EVERYTHING about how it goes for you!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    February is here and it's stinking hot and super muggy. At my running club this morning everyone was complaining of severely impacted running speeds because of the weather. I had to really work to maintain my pace today, even though it was a good 15 seconds or more slower than our usual pace. Oh well, it's summer, so I'll take it.

Yuck on the weather.

15 SECONDS? I would be ecstatic! I lose MINUTES off my pace in Summer. :( I just stop tracking pace at all till fall usually.