Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    So far operation recomp is going well! I started adding calories and weight seems to be holding steady (or just slightly losing hard to tell at this point) but goal is to just keep eating. Since I am breastfeeding eating at maintenance feels like surplus so I am just eating as much as I can and hoping for the best. Even if I gain a bit, meh, no problem, if I start to hit my high number I will just dial things back a bit. I think that should work, right?

I am really trying to push it in the gym, hopefully I can get my numbers up there where they used to be! Body composition changes would be nice too :)

Awesome job Stef! Hard to believe you just had baby #3. Awesome.

Thank you! Well it's been almost 5 months and I've been working hard :)
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member

Well I can imagine quite a bit 😏...
    But your deflation is not amongst them 😂...

I know this comment wasn't directed at me but it made me cringe and feel uncomfortable. Bro, these kinds of comments are NOT welcomed by many women. I go to the gym to build muscles and get stronger, not to be sexually objectified. Imma step out of here now and stick with female-friendly weightlifting communities but I had to stay something.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

Well I can imagine quite a bit 😏...
    But your deflation is not amongst them 😂...

I know this comment wasn't directed at me but it made me cringe and feel uncomfortable. Bro, these kinds of comments are NOT welcomed by many women. I go to the gym to build muscles and get stronger, not to be sexually objectified. Imma step out of here now and stick with female-friendly weightlifting communities but I had to stay something.

Well I'm glad you got that off your chest...
    So much less awkward

But you shouldn't leave, you should stay...
    I'll stick to my usual threads not requiring sensitivity training... 😂
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    imfornd70 wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.

and you get to look leaner while bulking

I'm trying to let this be the last time I ever "bulk"

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn

I try, although admittingly a fair percentage of my extra calories have come from sugar...

I'm just eating a bit extra everyday and trying to increase the weight on the bar... I usually gain about 2-3lbs every weekend and it slowly comes off throughout the week... So my strategy has basically been, try to keep that some of that weekend weight and usually by the end of the work week, I'm about 0.5lb heavier...

Although last week I didn't gain any weight and I ran over Saturday... So now my legs feel like they are starving 😂

The average gain for a male not on gear is 2 Lean pounds a months - anything more its water weight or fat. You should consume not more than 300 calories extra during your bulk and most of those from Protein
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've been bulking for almost 2 months now - carrying an extra 7 pounds +/- , just starting my cutting cycle - I dont really like to eat too much while bulking - true I gain less LBM but after cutting and losing some of the LBM I feel i retain the equal amount of muscle as a person who bulks traditionally

IIRC there's some solid recent research suggesting that lean bulking is better/more efficient than the traditional "eat big to get big" monster bulks. However, I know @jseams1234 does well going full panda so YMMV.

and you get to look leaner while bulking

I'm trying to let this be the last time I ever "bulk"

I figured if I do it right I can probably gain about as much I'd like to without gaining any fat... I think it's possible despite contemporary thinking...

I mean what's the point if I'm going to gain this weight just to cut back down to where I am already... At least that's where my head is today lol

So far up about 8-9lbs, eating well and I feel look leaner than ever really 🤷🏽‍♂️

the key to good bulking is quality nutrition - you don't need to east everything in sight - if you are only looking for that beach body then focus primarily of HV(High Volume lifting) sets of 8-12 - you get roughly the same as lifting heavy with he benefits of lower injury and higher calorie burn

I try, although admittingly a fair percentage of my extra calories have come from sugar...

I'm just eating a bit extra everyday and trying to increase the weight on the bar... I usually gain about 2-3lbs every weekend and it slowly comes off throughout the week... So my strategy has basically been, try to keep that some of that weekend weight and usually by the end of the work week, I'm about 0.5lb heavier...

Although last week I didn't gain any weight and I ran over Saturday... So now my legs feel like they are starving 😂

The average gain for a male not on gear is 2 Lean pounds a months - anything more its water weight or fat. You should consume not more than 300 calories extra during your bulk and most of those from Protein

When I bulk I actually keep my protein the same or lower it a bit (it is always the highest when I cut to help preserve muscle, just above 1g per lb bodyweight) if I had that much extra protein when bulking it would kill me both money wise and in fullness, plus it would be way overkill (over 200g, I am only 130-140lbs). Nothing wrong with extra protein if you like it, but I prefer to add carb calories. I usually do a 250 cal per day surplus (I am female) which is about 0.5lb per week

You know... I've heard info on conflicting research

I've heard that what you really need in a bulk is carbs because your muscles need energy to grow and that energy is going to come mostly from stored glycogen from high carb intake... Makes sense

I've also heard that studies show your body really can't utilize much more than 0.8g/lb anyway...

But then there is the school of thought that says, more lifting, more muscle breakdown, the obvious requirement is more protein for tissue repair... Makes sense as well

At the end of the day I'm going to try to not over think it or get restrictive about macros... Mostly because it's really hard to say what the science says because it says multiple things...

If I want the extra salmon, I'll have it... If I want the donut, I'll have it 😂... I just try to not over satisfy myself...

I'm pretty sure I'll eventually hit that point where I simply will need to eat more in order to maintain the weight gain, and it may be rather soon... Then I'll reassess and go from there...

Thanks for all the advice and input... Love this thread!

There is so much out there, and at the end of the day, you have to take what you read, consider it and make sure it works for you. If a set of new studies came out that said body part splits were the key to the most optimal muscle building, would I switch? No. I just cannot stick to a body part split. I don't have the time or patience for it. Research is great but it needs to fit your lifestyle.

Also I love me some donuts, but there is nothing better than salmon. Yum!

#thisiswhywerefriends 🙌🏼

But I actually have seen research promoting body part splits 😂

:)

I think the more advanced you are, the more it's fine to split things up (and by bodypart split I don't mean upper/lower but back day, leg day etc) can you imagine me doing legs only once a week? Like what's the point of going to the gym?? My glutes would deflate!! Haha

Even as a beginner, a body part split may not be bad. We tend to think im generalities, but if its structured appropriately, it can hit body parts several times a week. This is especially true, if there is a large focus on compound lifts. And I don't think there is evidence to suggest one program is better than another but rather than hitting body parts 2-3x a week is more optimal than 1x a week. And even then, i am not sure the delta in terms of muscle gains. But also like you said, the best program for an individual, is the one they enjoy.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    edited January 2020
    Shout out to @pitbullpuppy for mentioning the plans in Arnold's bible. I've been doing the level 2 plan this week and really digging it. I definitely need to allocate more time in the morning to lift but I think the volume is where I need to be at this point.
  • So I’m all over the place. Still uncommitted to either cutting or bulking. Managing to train despite crappy sleep, it’s the thing that keeps me sane. I checked my weight trends and basically gained .8 lb in December and .75lb in Jan. So I guess that’s the start of an accidental lean bulk. As a former fat person it still goes against the grain to be gaining weight. Maybe this needs a new thread, sorry for high jacking a thread about losing. Hey
  • psuLemon
    So I’m all over the place. Still uncommitted to either cutting or bulking. Managing to train despite crappy sleep, it’s the thing that keeps me sane. I checked my weight trends and basically gained .8 lb in December and .75lb in Jan. So I guess that’s the start of an accidental lean bulk. As a former fat person it still goes against the grain to be gaining weight. Maybe this needs a new thread, sorry for high jacking a thread about losing. Hey

I think this thread has morphed into the all things bodybuilding and venting about the difficulties.

And i think most of can relate to what you are saying. It's like my infamous battle to get super lean for abs.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    So I’m all over the place. Still uncommitted to either cutting or bulking. Managing to train despite crappy sleep, it’s the thing that keeps me sane. I checked my weight trends and basically gained .8 lb in December and .75lb in Jan. So I guess that’s the start of an accidental lean bulk. As a former fat person it still goes against the grain to be gaining weight. Maybe this needs a new thread, sorry for high jacking a thread about losing. Hey

As a former stick figure my issue is the opposite. Cutting freaks me out and sends my body dysmorphia into overdrive.

• sardelsa

@cupcakesandproteinshakes this thread isn't just about cutting anymore, it's a thread about cutting, bulking and everything in between as well as accountability, frustration and progress sharing

You are getting your workouts in so just keep trucking. You can always cut a bit down the road if you feel really uncomfortable. Just focus on your gym progress
  • psuLemon
    Side note. After hitting 177lbs after some work travel, i am down to 171-172. My low is still 168 ih which I am working towards.

And I set up a new lifting upper lower split.
  • imfornd70
    imfornd70 Posts: 552 Member
    I just have a hard time buying into traditional cutting bulking - Lean bulking is far healthier and far more obtainable long term - movement of 300 calories up and down are far easier than 700-1000
  • sardelsa
    I just have a hard time buying into traditional cutting bulking - Lean bulking is far healthier and far more obtainable long term - movement of 300 calories up and down are far easier than 700-1000

Oh wow I don't know who bulks with those numbers, I usually don't see a recommendation for higher than 500 per week above maintenance (for males) if they want to keep fat gain at bay. If they just want to get as big as possible then hey, that is their own prerogative.
  • imfornd70

Oh wow I don't know who bulks with those numbers, I usually don't see a recommendation for higher than 500 per week above maintenance (for males) if they want to keep fat gain at bay. If they just want to get as big as possible then hey, that is their own prerogative.

I agree but I see it more often than not - I hang out in the 300 range and up my HV workouts to burn off the xtra
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member

It's hard to say without context, eg., what a person's maintenance level is, but for most folks 700-1000 calories is a pretty large surplus/deficit. I haven't heard of anyone doing that, except perhaps to experiment with "dirty" bulking. Most people subscribe to the idea that keeping their surplus/deficit within 10-15% of their maintenance level during bulk/cut cycles is optimal.
  • sardelsa

I agree but I see it more often than not - I hang out in the 300 range and up my HV workouts to burn off the xtra

If you are burning some off then your surplus must be really minimal and lean, which is fine if that's your goal!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    I've always found it interesting how actors like the rock and the avengers will claim to eat 5-6k calories per day when adding muscle for a movie and still manage to not gain fat...

First of all... I know they are not burning it all off everyday in the gym 8hrs per day... Your body just couldn't recover from that, joints muscles etc...

And even if you could and did burn it all off every day, you wouldn't get any bigger...

I mean it's possible they just simply starve themselves for 3 months before filming like some bodybuilders do...

And then there's the obvious ped's... It's a mystery to me honestly
  • imfornd70

If you are burning some off then your surplus must be really minimal and lean, which is fine if that's your goal!

for me I like to be withing 4-5% of the lowest fat % 7% in my case so i never reach more than 12 or so - well after the holidays I gave myself a couple extra LOL
  • sardelsa

for me I like to be withing 4-5% of the lowest fat % 7% in my case so i never reach more than 12 or so - well after the holidays I gave myself a couple extra LOL

I don't remember but do you compete ? In that case it's beneficial to not go too far from your stage leanness, just enough to relax and build a bit. I don't compete so I don't mind packing on some extra weight after getting super lean especially since I feel too scrawny
  • sardelsa
    I've always found it interesting how actors like the rock and the avengers will claim to eat 5-6k calories per day when adding muscle for a movie and still manage to not gain fat...

First of all... I know they are not burning it all off everyday in the gym 8hrs per day... Your body just couldn't recover from that, joints muscles etc...

And even if you could and did burn it all off every day, you wouldn't get any bigger...

I mean it's possible they just simply starve themselves for 3 months before filming like some bodybuilders do...

And then there's the obvious ped's... It's a mystery to me honestly

I think these bigger guys are actually able to maintain on that intake, I know Lanny @Chieflrg maintains on that or higher if I'm not mistaken. It takes a lot of calories to move all that muscle around!