What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I once loved malt balls. Now I hate them. In the movie candy genre (which is where malt balls are for me) nothing beats raisinets. NOTHING. Offer opposing views on risk of being dead to me.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I once loved malt balls. Now I hate them. In the movie candy genre (which is where malt balls are for me) nothing beats raisinets. NOTHING. Offer opposing views on risk of being dead to me.

I'm not a big raisin person, but raisinets are okay. Also raisin bran. But raisins ruin carrot cake and oatmeal cookies.
  • RelCanonical
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Candy corn
    Mayo
    Licorice 'Allsorts'
    Malted milk chocolate balls
    Turkish Delight
    Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...)
    Baked apple 'anything'
    Gravy
    Beer
    Nutella (not homemade ones)

this reminds me...who loves/hates those Lofthouse cookies? lol!

THANK YOU! I don't understand why people like malted milk balls! And milk duds.. Also don't like beer, nutella or baked apples (except pie)

However, I do like Mayo, licorice (good and plenty!), pineapple on pizza, gravy.

I love malted milk balls. It's a texture thing for me. Whoppers are my jam.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member

I'm not a big raisin person, but raisinets are okay. Also raisin bran. But raisins ruin carrot cake and oatmeal cookies.

Possibly unpopular: I've always liked raisin bran and corn flakes. Even without added sugar.

Possibly deeply unpopular: I think it has to do with the way it absorbs the milk. I like it slightly soggy.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member

Raisinets are the best! Agree 100%. Also Snow Caps
  • pancakerunner
    pjo32q768wsi.jpg

shoot... they're on sale
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

I agree regarding the carrot cake...I think it's my favorite (sans those raisins..and pineapple too if you are so inclined)

regarding the 'licorice' thing...while I hate those 'Allsorts licorice candies'....I LOVE LOVE black licorice...just not those little square sugar bombs 😣

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    edited February 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Candy corn -- bad (but does anyone actually like it?)

Mayo -- mostly bad, has a few uses

Licorice 'Allsorts' -- bad, everything licorice is bad

Malted milk chocolate balls -- bad

Turkish Delight -- very extra bad because I thought it would be wonderful because CS Lewis tricked me!

Pineapple on Pizza (actually pineapple baked into anything is pretty ick...) -- pineapple is an excellent pizza topping, I will die on this hill. My mom made baked ham with pineapple too and although I have not had it since the early '90s I have fond memories

Baked apple 'anything' -- many excellent desserts involve baked apples

Gravy -- overrated and usually unnecessary. Mashed potatoes are better with just butter, baked potatoes are better with sour cream (or greek yogurt), roasted potatoes with nothing added (cooked with a bit of olive oil and salt), well-prepared meat does not need it. Biscuits and gravy can be tasty, though.

Beer -- I used to love good beer, but cannot drink it anymore

Nutella (not homemade ones) -- I don't get the Nutella love

Ok, I'll play. :)

Candy corn - I used to like it, then stopped liking it, then liked it again, then stopped again. I don't know why!

Mayo - not really but I still like potato salad and macaroni salad and coleslaw and if it's already on a sandwich but only lightly I'll deal

Licorice - I hate black licorice but love love love twizzlers and red vines

Malted milk balls - hell yeah!

Turkish delight - I'm not sure I've ever had it but it doesn't really sound up my alley

Pineapple on pizza - Double hell yeah! Great with canadian bacon or pepperoni (it cuts the heartburnedness of the pepperoni for me)

Baked apple - I haven't had one in ages but I grew up eating them soaked in like this diet strawberry soda

Gravy - I don't go out of my way for it but sure

Beer - A world of no

Nutella - I like it but I can also live without it
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    As far as candy corn goes, I don't like candy corn. And I know it's the same stuff, but let me at the little mallow pumpkins.
    Mellowcreme-Pumpkins-Loose-Product.jpg

Somehow there being more in a different shape, and the way my teeth sink into them, just muah *chef's kiss* Mmmmm yellow #5
  • deannasawyer
    deannasawyer Posts: 47 Member
    Anchovies are all that is good in this world. I will eat anchovies with/on/in just about anything. Grilled cheese? With marinara and anchovies. Pasta? Anchovies. Pizza? Give me pineapple, roasted red peppers, and anchovies please.
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I agree regarding the carrot cake...I think it's my favorite (sans those raisins..and pineapple too if you are so inclined)

regarding the 'licorice' thing...while I hate those 'Allsorts licorice candies'....I LOVE LOVE black licorice...just not those little square sugar bombs 😣

zpp2izdumqjo.png

I also love these!

and these...

2p5qs50w7je2.png
  • pancakerunner
    As far as candy corn goes, I don't like candy corn. And I know it's the same stuff, but let me at the little mallow pumpkins.

Somehow there being more in a different shape, and the way my teeth sink into them, just muah *chef's kiss* Mmmmm yellow #5

Agreed! I like the bite them in half from the top down
  • RelCanonical

Yeah, I love mallow pumpkins way more than candy corn even though they're the same thing. The shape really makes a difference.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I can't remember if I posted this already or not (I probably did, in November-ish)...but I think the typical (for my area) Thanksgiving spread is ALL pretty gross/unappealing -- or at the best, totally meh...

Turkey :#
    Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese
    Mashed potatoes with brown gravy
    Green bean casserole :s
    Sweet potato casseroles with lots of sugar/marshmallows/nuts

Also it's usually followed up with pumpkin pie and apple pie. The 2 least appealing of all pies (at least for me, a pie lover).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Anchovies are all that is good in this world. I will eat anchovies with/on/in just about anything. Grilled cheese? With marinara and anchovies. Pasta? Anchovies. Pizza? Give me pineapple, roasted red peppers, and anchovies please.

You had me until you mixed the anchovies and the pineapple.

Anchovies on caesar salad are the bomb.
  • pancakerunner
    I can't remember if I posted this already or not (I probably did, in November-ish)...but I think the typical (for my area) Thanksgiving spread is ALL pretty gross/unappealing -- or at the best, totally meh...

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

Also it's usually followed up with pumpkin pie and apple pie. The 2 least appealing of all pies (at least for me, a pie lover).

I agree for the most part. I do like a well cooked turkey and stuffing though (depends how it is cooked!)... not a fan of mac and cheese, mashed potaoes, green bean casserole or sweet potatos... BUT this year I made this wild rice salad and it was bomb
    jta4pvapv0pl.jpg
    added some cashews, goat cheese and dried cherries
  • RelCanonical

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

This is a very good unpopular opinion. Near epitome.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I love anchovies. I love them on salads, on pizza, right out of the tin...

Worcestshire or fish sauce are okay but nothing really beats using actual anchovies in beef dishes imo. One or two fillets will replace some of the salt.

Reminds me that I have been using @just_Tomek's fish sauce idea in popcorn but I really should try anchovies.
  • lemurcat2
    For Thanksgiving we always have turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon (and other ingredients varying by the year), green beans with almonds and mushrooms, my mom's traditional vegetable that my sister now makes (I think the recipe was on a box or in Good Housekeeping in the '70s) of broccoli and cauliflower with cheese and croutons, and sometimes either roasted sweet potatoes or roasted winter squash. I don't add marshmallow to the sweet potatoes since I think marshmallow is disgusting, and if it's not a very big gathering I might not have sweet potatoes or winter squash for the main meal (in past years I've done a sweet potato based dessert instead). I like all those foods and find them (with the exception of the sweet potatoes, which I can take or leave) delicious together.

I don't care about gravy (I never use it) or stuffing, so I get others to make them (my sister makes the gravy, someone always wants to bring a special stuffing). I always try the stuffing and may enjoy it, but I'm a mashed potato person first.

Someone also always brings salad and rolls and I like salad and rolls.

I also don't care about cranberry sauce. I tried for years to do some fancy sauce with fresh cranberries and different ingredients, but still never cared, and so many liked the canned stuff anyway that I now let people volunteer to do cranberries which we sometimes have and sometimes don't. I have made an apple cranberry crisp as the dessert before, which was great.

Unless I have the crisp, I will have apple pie, which I think is one of the best pies (strawberry rhubarb may be the best, but it's not seasonal for Thanksgiving, and cherry is excellent too, but same). I don't like pumpkin pie much, so again if someone brings it, great. One of the people who normally comes will bring her chocolate bourbon pecan pie too, which is great even though I don't like most pecan pies.

I adore Thanksgiving, but my pet-peeve is holidays with the same menu -- when I was growing up our Christmas dinner was always the same as Thanksgiving.

Now Easter is always lamb, Thanksgiving is turkey, etc., and Christmas is normally prime rib, although many years I'll have a formal meal (like this year with prime rib for a dinner party) and then a more rustic one for the holiday itself, which is more just family--this one was cassoulet.
  • lemurcat2
    (That wild rice dish looks like a good replacement for the sweet potatoes and the stuffing, however. I like it.)