What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Forgot to mention: I do know someone who likes mellocremes, of which candy corn is one type . . . to the point that her nickname is "Coach Mellocreme" (one of my past rowing coaches, a stellar amateur athlete - the year they cancelled the Chicago Marathon midway because of excessive heat, she'd already finished by the time they cancelled :lol: - and a brilliant, successful biomedical engineering researcher . . . fueled significantly by mellocremes, malted milk balls, and marshmallow Peeps. Go figure.)

Which reminds me: I don't think (?) Peeps have come up so far in this thread, and I think they are a controversial food. Like or hate? Better fresh, or stale? (They're not vegetarian, so I don't eat 'em.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Anchovies are all that is good in this world. I will eat anchovies with/on/in just about anything. Grilled cheese? With marinara and anchovies. Pasta? Anchovies. Pizza? Give me pineapple, roasted red peppers, and anchovies please.

I always put a little fish sauce in savory soups, stews, sauces, etc.
  • kshama2001
    Faux-meat (burgers, chicken, etc.) is not helping the environment. You can tell yourself that while ordering an Impossible Burger while driving your SUV through the BK drive-thru if it makes you feel better, but... no

I heard about that (specific to faux hamburger) on Christopher Kimbell's podcast from the author of this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/upshot/beef-health-climate-impact.html

Executive Summary: ground beef is a by product of cows raised for dairy or steak. In order to reduce the supply of ground beef, we must first reduce the demand for dairy and steak.

“...There’s no profit to be made in ground beef,” she said. “That all comes either from leftover parts once cattle have been slaughtered for more expensive cuts, or from dairy cattle that have outlived their usefulness. If everyone gave up hamburgers tomorrow, the same number of cows would still be raised and need to be fed.”
  • kshama2001
    Also, Chinese takeout is grossly overpriced.

This might be a regional issue. I never found Chinese takeout overpriced in suburban MA, upstate NY, or South Florida.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Carbs on pizza is an abomination. Brownies that are ALMOST baked are the best. Jk I’d eat raw dough/batter whenever.

Wait... so.. like the whole pizza? I mean, carbs is kind of the thing that makes it pizza. Or do you mean things like mac n cheese pizza?

Yes and fries on pizza. Wtf???
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention: I do know someone who likes mellocremes, of which candy corn is one type . . . to the point that her nickname is "Coach Mellocreme" (one of my past rowing coaches, a stellar amateur athlete - the year they cancelled the Chicago Marathon midway because of excessive heat, she'd already finished by the time they cancelled :lol: - and a brilliant, successful biomedical engineering researcher . . . fueled significantly by mellocremes, malted milk balls, and marshmallow Peeps. Go figure.)

Which reminds me: I don't think (?) Peeps have come up so far in this thread, and I think they are a controversial food. Like or hate? Better fresh, or stale? (They're not vegetarian, so I don't eat 'em.)

Peeps are ALL NO in Casa Cupcake.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I can't remember if I posted this already or not (I probably did, in November-ish)...but I think the typical (for my area) Thanksgiving spread is ALL pretty gross/unappealing -- or at the best, totally meh...

Turkey :#
    Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese
    Mashed potatoes with brown gravy
    Green bean casserole :s
    Sweet potato casseroles with lots of sugar/marshmallows/nuts

Also it's usually followed up with pumpkin pie and apple pie. The 2 least appealing of all pies (at least for me, a pie lover).

This is a very good unpopular opinion. Near epitome.

Green bean casserole was voted worst thanksgiving dish in American for a reason
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

I don't think of them as food, or even candy, but as a vehicle for art they can be fun:

https://comicsalliance.com/peeps-dioramas-geeky-comics/
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I can't remember if I posted this already or not (I probably did, in November-ish)...but I think the typical (for my area) Thanksgiving spread is ALL pretty gross/unappealing -- or at the best, totally meh...

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

Also it's usually followed up with pumpkin pie and apple pie. The 2 least appealing of all pies (at least for me, a pie lover).

This reminds me of a friend of mine's mother. I think it was her second year in the US and for the Thanksgiving meal she was assigned the green bean casserole. I guess nobody explained it to her very well because she used all the normal ingredients but used canned black beans instead of green beans. I couldn't even pretend to taste it. Green bean casserole is bad enough. Black bean? *kitten* no!

Fortunately she had a sense of humor and had a good laugh at herself.
  • lemurcat2
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This might be a regional issue. I never found Chinese takeout overpriced in suburban MA, upstate NY, or South Florida.

Not in Chicago either.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Not in Chicago either.
    x9vfi4r7qvvb.jpg

idk but $9.99 for this seems pricey
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited February 2020
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I once loved malt balls. Now I hate them. In the movie candy genre (which is where malt balls are for me) nothing beats raisinets. NOTHING. Offer opposing views on risk of being dead to me.

I'm not a big raisin person, but raisinets are okay. Also raisin bran. But raisins ruin carrot cake and oatmeal cookies.

I agree regarding the carrot cake...I think it's my favorite (sans those raisins..and pineapple too if you are so inclined)

regarding the 'licorice' thing...while I hate those 'Allsorts licorice candies'....I LOVE LOVE black licorice...just not those little square sugar bombs 😣

and these...

2p5qs50w7je2.png

yup...those little square 'things'....😣lol! The blue or pink round ones are fine though

• lemurcat2
    edited February 2020

Not in Chicago either.
    x9vfi4r7qvvb.jpg

Wide variety of prices and compared to other takeout Chinese is among the cheapest.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

A very amusing moment in my life was when I decided to make a real food imitation of classic green been casserole for a potluck Thanksgiving (fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, bechamel, caramelised fresh onions, toasted/buttered bread crumbs). Someone else brought the classic version (canned beans, Campbell's condensed mushroom soup, canned fried onions).

Results?

LOL: You decide! :lol::lol::lol:
  • lemurcat2

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

A very amusing moment in my life was when I decided to make a real food imitation of classic green been casserole for a potluck Thanksgiving (fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, bechamel, caramelised fresh onions, toasted/buttered bread crumbs). Someone else brought the classic version (canned beans, Campbell's condensed mushroom soup, canned fried onions).

Results?

A group of friend have an annual mock Thanksgiving event, and one of the people always brings an updated and improved green bean casserole similar to the real food one you describe, and it's hugely popular. For some reason we never did the green bean casserole at our family, so I just started doing sauteed green beans with mushrooms and almonds and garlic (and sometimes bread crumbs and/or dill) when I learned green beans at Thanksgiving was a thing.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Beer is disgusting. I have tried craft ones, “good ones”, all kinds. All are gross to me. The maltiness is what is bad.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Not in Chicago either.
    x9vfi4r7qvvb.jpg

Yeah, that looks like a 5.99 dish in my town. I’m in a small town though.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member

Stuffing or dressing
    Mac n' cheese

Results?

A group of friend have an annual mock Thanksgiving event, and one of the people always brings an updated and improved green bean casserole similar to the real food one you describe, and it's hugely popular. For some reason we never did the green bean casserole at our family, so I just started doing sauteed green beans with mushrooms and almonds and garlic (and sometimes bread crumbs and/or dill) when I learned green beans at Thanksgiving was a thing.

I make a green bean casserole at Thanksgiving with fresh green beans, shallot, mushrooms and a Parmesan garlic cream sauce (I actually make half sans mushrooms because my husband and son are not fans).
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

Not a fan of Peeps and I like marshmallow. Stale would be even worse! My mom loves them I usually get her a 4 pack each year.