For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    Not all produce, but it was delicious.

zmmx1nmrktj4.jpg

Pink shrimp, Italian sausage, rice, vegetables, in a spicy tomato broth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Kohlrabi is awesome, just peel with a sharp knife! When I tried choyote I just stir fried it with other vegetables. It was good but I probably won't buy again unless it's on sale. It looked cool so I had to try it! With the baking persimmons my grandma used to make the best persimmon bread and cookies once they softened up.

Kohlrabi skin is fine, too, as long as not badly stored or too overgrown (size is not an indication - that's more about variety; skin toughness/fibrousness is what matters). If they've broken/cut off the leafy steps and left a scar, sometimes those spots get unpleasant and can be trimmed, but if the skin isn't unpleasantly fibrous, there's no need to peel.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Chayote i treat like butternut squash
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,188 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Not all produce, but it was delicious.

Pink shrimp, Italian sausage, rice, vegetables, in a spicy tomato broth.

This is a huge spoon and a tiny bowl no?

I just had a cup of soup, so it's smaller. Also a couple oysters and a delicious pair of fish tacos.

5zzcwgpcwxwt.jpg

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Hubby found globe artichokes at the Turkish green grocer. At this time of year! Will steam them Sunday to have as a starter with hollandaise. As much as I love carciofa alla giudia I don't think I am energetic enough to try making that at home.
    11457th064ee.jpeg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Shawarma seasoned roasted veggies with lemon tahini sauce. Found on Pinterest: link
    ls54j6o11zpx.jpeg

Curried cabbage and peas, from Appetite for Reduction. I added some barley and an egg as it's a side dish.
    575ldbqbgxol.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Hubby found globe artichokes at the Turkish green grocer. At this time of year! Will steam them Sunday to have as a starter with hollandaise. As much as I love carciofa alla giudia I don't think I am energetic enough to try making that at home.
    11457th064ee.jpeg

Oooooooooh! Artichoke love! I had to learn the hard way with oil splattering everywhere how to finesse carciofi Alla guidia... :) steaming is probably healthier lol

• acpgee
    Options
    Not much appetite because the antibiotics I started on make me so nauseous. Dinner mostly for the hubby was a rosti and some air fried courgette with leftover onion gravy. Mixed the courgette with a few oil packed artichokes from a jar which gave a roast veggie side we eat quite often a real lift. Now thinking of adding bits of other strongly flavoured oil packed veg intended for anti pasti to roast veg. Sun dried tomatoes and de-seeded olives come to mind.
    pzgxai4zo2pm.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Hubby came home with quite a lot of chive leaf last night. I think we used to call it garlic chive in my childhood household. I think my mom used to use it in stir fries. Any other ideas how to use this stuff? Do you think it would it be nice as a garlic replacement in something like spaghetti aglio olio?
    fpt2j3j0ctfk.jpeg
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Galic chive is lovely in a pesto
    Snipped over roasted veg
    To spice up a salad
    Or as part of a green herb chutney
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Rediscovering chard of all sorts. What a lovely, versatile veggie 😍
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    For the love of volume and produce. Also meatless Monday 😁

syh79tij6dsw.jpg

Oh dang!
    Stunning.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Salad of baby gem, halved grapes (better mouth feel than whole grapes), red onion, feta, candied pecans.
    x2ff6de0usfo.jpeg
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Potato and cottage cheese cakes on a tub of kale salad. First time making these and I am sold. So simple. Sometimes I surprise myself lol

That sounds really good -- I looked up some recipes for the cakes, and there are a bunch.... can you give us an idea of your ingredients? Thanks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I scored some beet greens - my favorite greens, by far - at the farmers market, right here in mid-Michigan in the midst of a February cold snap (down to some single digit F temps!). Tonight, I stir-steamed the whole bag on top of some sauteed onions/garlic, then mixed with chickpea "rice" and some chopped-up queso fresco.

zrnzneor3843.jpg

The farmers market also yielded the most beautiful, perfect bok choi I think I've ever seen, grown in a greenhouse (I believe unheated), additionally under hoop-type row covers. There are no flea beetles or cabbage loopers in cool Michigan greenhouses in February, so the plants were perfect, unmarred little jewels. (I ate mine without capturing a photo, sadly.) There's a big bag of baby kale, too, but that's a little more routine all Winter here.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's nothing too exotic. I always put one or two mandarin oranges in my lunch. Depends on size.
  • acpgee
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I scored some beet greens - my favorite greens, by far - at the farmers market, right here in mid-Michigan in the midst of a February cold snap (down to some single digit F temps!). Tonight, I stir-steamed the whole bag on top of some sauteed onions/garlic, then mixed with chickpea "rice" and some chopped-up queso fresco.

zrnzneor3843.jpg

The farmers market also yielded the most beautiful, perfect bok choi I think I've ever seen, grown in a greenhouse (I believe unheated), additionally under hoop-type row covers. There are no flea beetles or cabbage loopers in cool Michigan greenhouses in February, so the plants were perfect, unmarred little jewels. (I ate mine without capturing a photo, sadly.) There's a big bag of baby kale, too, but that's a little more routine all Winter here.

Thanks for the tip on chickpea rice. I had never heard of it and will give it a try.