February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Be honest. I have thick skin. You can be outright mean. I can take it. Anyway, would it be stupid of me to register for a trial run Marathon or should I just throw caution to the wind and try? There are so many here...

You completed a road marathon, which means you probably can train to do a trail one. The major difference is the terrain is harder to run, but easier on your body :) A trail marathon could have thousands of feet of elevation, lots of mud, tree roots, bugs, and all kinds of things. The ground in the best of places is uneven meaning even those small muscles in the base of your feet will get a workout. You also likely need to learn to pick your feet up higher. Most street runners do not lift their feet enough to clear roots, rocks, and such.

They also take a lot longer normally. Adding 2-3 minutes to your street pace is not uncommon.

So you will need to train for it. Especially hilly runs or other means of building up your physical strength. It is a very big commitment and a lot of work, but I far prefer it over road races, IMO.

Stupid? No. A lot of work to get there, yes. Do you have time you would need to put in? That is the bigger question. You proven you can do the distance, the trial just ups the technical difficulty.

Oh, and you really will want trial running shoes. Unless you like face planting all the time and risking your ankles. Then, you know, whatever floats your boat. :)

@LoveyChar YOU WILL LOVE TRAIL RUNNING! I HOPE! IT'S MY FAVORITE! IT'S SO MUCH FUN! YOU'LL FEEL LIKE A KID!

Also, may I suggest Salomons for trail running. ;)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    @Camaramandy648 you did the right thing! Good for you (and your kids)!
    Now go out in this world and be free and happy!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited February 2020
    @quilteryoyo I put off my dermatologist visit until my summer tan faded, because I didn't want to get yelled at about it! And yours complimented you :)
    I thought it was a little odd for a dermatologist to say. Maybe he could tell that I don't allow myself to get burned very often or something. Or, maybe he's just not a very good dermatologist. :wink:

@Camaramandy648 Sounds like you made a good decision. Sorry that you were put in the position that you had to though. I know it's tough, even if it is the right thing.

@PastorVincent Swiss Miss has been around since 1961. Maybe some people consider that "old fashioned." :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Be honest. I have thick skin. You can be outright mean. I can take it. Anyway, would it be stupid of me to register for a trail run Marathon or should I just throw caution to the wind and try? There are so many here...

My second marathon, 4 weeks after my first marathon, was a trail marathon. I'd say go for it. But, my level of crazy is several orders of magnitude beyone most on here.

Oh, many of us are, but some of us are trying to give normal human runner advice :smiley:

If it was me, shoot, I would already be running the trail race by now... or well it is a Friday, maybe tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all.

Well no call outs last night. So got up at 7, went and did 2.6k before Parkrun, got to the start line with 1 min to spare, did the 5k Parkrun, then another 400m to round off 8k.

Thene we are having an event in town today where all these American car enthusiasts come to town, participate in a parade and park up and show off their machines. Some beautiful old cars, and some pretty spectacular new ones. Apparently there are over 500 cars in town!

So naturally we took the kids to an American diner for brunch. Cause why not. It was awesome! Most amazing waffles I've ever had - not that I've had waffles that often haha. So soaked up a bit of American culture. Now I'm relaxing watching Doctor who while the hubby takes the kids around to his parents for a bit.

I am curious what you think an American diner is? I have talked to people from India (I work in IT so we see a lot of them) who come to America. They all tell me that what they thought American food was is nothing like reality they found why they got here.

Also, they all gained a lot of weight, at least at first.

Those points might be related. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Be honest. I have thick skin. You can be outright mean. I can take it. Anyway, would it be stupid of me to register for a trail run Marathon or should I just throw caution to the wind and try? There are so many here...

My second marathon, 4 weeks after my first marathon, was a trail marathon. I'd say go for it. But, my level of crazy is several orders of magnitude beyone most on here.

Oh, many of us are, but some of us are trying to give normal human runner advice :smiley:

If it was me, shoot, I would already be running the trail race by now... or well it is a Friday, maybe tomorrow.

There's also the fact that I don't run marathons any more... I don't really like them. But really, when it comes to crazy, Mine is pretty out there, even for the folks in this group....I kind of know that I belong in Arkham Asylum.
  • enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    edited February 2020
    Well, fam, I dumped my fiance.

It's been a long time coming, but I guess, after five years, I just got to, "Yeah, I'm done." I feel a wave of relief, which I think is telling. As you might imagine, lots of things happened in that five years. He didn't do just one horrible, crazy thing - it wasn't traumatic.

Bottom line - I can't be engaged to someone that isn't even in my life. We rarely see each other. We barely speak. He's not invested in my kids and that's the biggest kicker. As well, my kids are watching how I live and if I want them to choose mates that also choose them, love intentionally, etc., then I have to choose that for myself.

Of course, the wiser ones of you will be thinking: COMMUNICATION. Yeah, I've tried that. I've suggested therapy. I've also done a bunch of meal prepping and waiting around for someone that isn't willing to make any sacrifices or choose me in any area of his life, so.... For communication to work, it would have to go both ways and in this case, it does not.

It was kind of a game - how long can a person be engaged to someone that shows no interest in them?

Anyway, I get my curls back tomorrow and it's a cut back week so only twelve miles on the books! Then, to watch a scary movie with a couple of friends. Mid-Somar... I probably spelled it wrong, but I'm bringing my dog with me so he can keep me company after on the drive home. I'll be scared, I am sure.

@pastorvincent - that's the pits about your hot chocolate. YOu should demand $2.40 refund. ;)

HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

- ALSO - I feel that it begs pointing out - my kids are fine! Literally nothing in our daily lives changes. He's just never around, so while it is a big change and a loss, they're not losing someone that has regularly been in their lives.

Had he regularly been investing in us and doing life alongside us, we probably wouldn't have gotten to this point...

Trusting yourself is everything.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Well, fam, I dumped my fiance.

It's been a long time coming, but I guess, after five years, I just got to, "Yeah, I'm done." I feel a wave of relief, which I think is telling. As you might imagine, lots of things happened in that five years. He didn't do just one horrible, crazy thing - it wasn't traumatic.

Bottom line - I can't be engaged to someone that isn't even in my life. We rarely see each other. We barely speak. He's not invested in my kids and that's the biggest kicker. As well, my kids are watching how I live and if I want them to choose mates that also choose them, love intentionally, etc., then I have to choose that for myself.

Of course, the wiser ones of you will be thinking: COMMUNICATION. Yeah, I've tried that. I've suggested therapy. I've also done a bunch of meal prepping and waiting around for someone that isn't willing to make any sacrifices or choose me in any area of his life, so.... For communication to work, it would have to go both ways and in this case, it does not.

It was kind of a game - how long can a person be engaged to someone that shows no interest in them?

Anyway, I get my curls back tomorrow and it's a cut back week so only twelve miles on the books! Then, to watch a scary movie with a couple of friends. Mid-Somar... I probably spelled it wrong, but I'm bringing my dog with me so he can keep me company after on the drive home. I'll be scared, I am sure.

@pastorvincent - that's the pits about your hot chocolate. YOu should demand $2.40 refund. ;)

HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

- ALSO - I feel that it begs pointing out - my kids are fine! Literally nothing in our daily lives changes. He's just never around, so while it is a big change and a loss, they're not losing someone that has regularly been in their lives.

Had he regularly been investing in us and doing life alongside us, we probably wouldn't have gotten to this point...

I’m sorry it didn’t work out the way you hoped. Honestly I wasn’t thinking “communication” so much as I was thinking if you need therapy before getting married, it’s time to cut your losses. Wishing you brighter days in the future!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Morning all.

Well no call outs last night. So got up at 7, went and did 2.6k before Parkrun, got to the start line with 1 min to spare, did the 5k Parkrun, then another 400m to round off 8k.

Thene we are having an event in town today where all these American car enthusiasts come to town, participate in a parade and park up and show off their machines. Some beautiful old cars, and some pretty spectacular new ones. Apparently there are over 500 cars in town!

So naturally we took the kids to an American diner for brunch. Cause why not. It was awesome! Most amazing waffles I've ever had - not that I've had waffles that often haha. So soaked up a bit of American culture. Now I'm relaxing watching Doctor who while the hubby takes the kids around to his parents for a bit.

I am curious what you think an American diner is? I have talked to people from India (I work in IT so we see a lot of them) who come to America. They all tell me that what they thought American food was is nothing like reality they found why they got here.

Haha OK how many "movie culture America" can I hit?

The diner is fitted out like a diner from back to the future. Red stools, booths, lots of formica tables. There is pop culture references everywhere, from Betty boop playing on the TV, to elvis on the jukebox, yes there is a jukebox. There were American flags everywhere. They advertised a bottomless cup of filter coffee (not really a kiwi thing at all).

Their desserts were sweet pies, so key lime, pumpkin, pecan for example.

The food itself I would say was more amerikiwi. So they had burgers, but full of salads and extra stuff - from what I've heard from my vegetarian American friend, burgers are usually bun and patty. Our burgers have a whole heap of other fillings. My mum had a fish burger for example.

Actually ill just paste the menu, you can see its "American" with a kiwi twist.

For the record, I had waffles (two) with bacon and banana. And it was 3 pieces of bacon only - which I shared with my kids - one small banana and a dish of say 30ml of maple syrup on the side. So from what I hear, about half the size of an American meal.
    e371r76u2jtb.jpg

c64hps7973th.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited February 2020
    Morning all.

Haha OK how many "movie culture America" can I hit?

The diner is fitted out like a diner from back to the future. Red stools, booths, lots of formica tables. There is pop culture references everywhere, from Betty boop playing on the TV, to elvis on the jukebox, yes there is a jukebox. There were American flags everywhere. They advertised a bottomless cup of filter coffee (not really a kiwi thing at all).

Their desserts were sweet pies, so key lime, pumpkin, pecan for example.

The food itself I would say was more amerikiwi. So they had burgers, but full of salads and extra stuff - from what I've heard from my vegetarian American friend, burgers are usually bun and patty. Our burgers have a whole heap of other fillings. My mum had a fish burger for example.

Actually ill just paste the menu, you can see its "American" with a kiwi twist.

For the record, I had waffles (two) with bacon and banana. And it was 3 pieces of bacon only - which I shared with my kids - one small banana and a dish of say 30ml of maple syrup on the side. So from what I hear, about half the size of an American meal.
    e371r76u2jtb.jpg

c64hps7973th.jpg

That is definitely a 1950's themed American diner setup... I'm not that old, but I've seen photos and movies, lol.

What is this aioli that is on everything? Also, what is the difference between bacon and "steaky bacon?" Steak here is a whole cut of meat (i.e. not ground) and if it doesn't specify the type of meat, it is beef from cows. Bacon, on the other hand, is typically slices cut from pork / hog bellies and processed / cured to become bacon. However, there are certain types of bacon that come from other parts of the hog or even from other animals, but then it isn't just "bacon." It's specifically called "hog jowl bacon" or "turkey bacon" if it comes from a different part of the animal or from a different species.

ETA: As a carnivore, I know my meats. :smiley: