February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    When you said "in town for Elton John" @Avidkeo it sounded like you were popping round for tea. Say hello to Reg for me if you are.

I'm with you on the slow pace @autumnblade75 and my 'easy pace' on the plan is a 12 minute mile which is my morning walking speed. I with stick with my 10+ minute miles and keep increasing the mileage once a week and some steady runs the other three days.

It's a bit dreich out there this morning! ☔

exercise.png

Wow wouldn't that be Amazing! Think he'd be up for a run too?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2020
    WTG @kimlight2 . Sounds like you are doing great.

@hamsterwheel6 That stinks! Sounds like a second opinion is in order, if that is an option for you. Hope it heals quickly and you can get back out to training for that HM.

I did a treadmill run this morning. I haven't run since last Wednesday and was afraid it would be bad. It was pretty awful. My plan called for 30-45 minutes of running. I had decided to do 3 miles at a fairly easy pace (11:14/mile) and then do another slower mile. But, as I was finishing up the 3 miles I started feeling nauseous. I called it quits and did my cool down walk. I hope I'm not coming down with something. The flu is still going around. Including the walks, I traversed 4.0 miles today.

exercise.png
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    WTG @kimlight2 . Sounds like you are doing great.

@hamsterwheel6 That stinks! Sounds like a second opinion is in order, if that is an option for you. Hope it heals quickly and you can get back out to training for that HM.

I did a treadmill run this morning. I haven't run since last Wednesday and was afraid it would be bad. It was pretty awful. My plan called for 30-45 minutes of running. I had decided to do 3 miles at a fairly easy pace (11:14/mile) and then do another slower mile. But, as I was finishing up the 3 miles I started feeling nauseous. I called it quits and did my cool down walk. I hope I'm not coming down with something. The flu is still going around. Including the walks, I traversed 4.0 miles today.

exercise.png

Oh, I hope you are ok! Dehydrated perhaps?
    Thanks....Actually am going for a second opinion this afternoon. I'll let you guys know how that goes.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    When you said "in town for Elton John" @Avidkeo it sounded like you were popping round for tea. Say hello to Reg for me if you are.

I'm with you on the slow pace @autumnblade75 and my 'easy pace' on the plan is a 12 minute mile which is my morning walking speed. I with stick with my 10+ minute miles and keep increasing the mileage once a week and some steady runs the other three days.

It's a bit dreich out there this morning! ☔

exercise.png

Wow wouldn't that be Amazing! Think he'd be up for a run too?

Ha this cracked me up. That would be awesome.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 - That sucks! I'm sorry about the time off and the poor bedside manner.

@quilteryoyo - I get nauseous when I am dehydrated too so hopefully that's all it is.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,864 Member
    Thanks @kimlight2 and @hamsterwheel6 . I worked yesterday, so probably didn't drink enough. You just don't have time when you're taking care of a gaggle of one year olds! I also didn't eat much yesterday, so that could have contributed too.
  • BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 418 Member
    So. Not a very good experience at the podiatrist yesterday. Will probably look for someone else.
    Really did not care for his "bedside" manor. I felt quite dismissed and rushed.
    He thinks I have 2nd toe capsilitus. Which requires a boot for at least 2 weeks. And custom orthotics. The boot = $200 the orthotic $500. WTH. I will be calling other places to see the cost of this.
    So I said I can't do that right now.
    I got a shot, and a toe splint.
    Needless to say. He doesn't want me to run for 2 weeks. Sigh. 6 weeks to the HM.
    I am bummed, but it is what it is.

I think a second opinion is a good idea. Miracles happen.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,368 Member
    edited February 2020
    So. Not a very good experience at the podiatrist yesterday. Will probably look for someone else.
    He thinks I have 2nd toe capsilitus. Which requires a boot for at least 2 weeks. And custom orthotics. The boot = $200 the orthotic $500. WTH. I will be calling other places to see the cost of this.
    Needless to say. He doesn't want me to run for 2 weeks. Sigh. 6 weeks to the HM.

What is with podiatrists? Really, I have never had a good experience and they all seem to be the same, arrogant and rushing to get you out the door. I guess maybe it is from looking at people's feet all the time. I would be grumpy and want to get appointments over with too I guess. 😂
    Hope you find someone you like better and have more confidence in!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

I have a boot, and I still remember where I put the little pump that goes with it. I could send it for the price of shipping, if you like. I lost 5 weeks of training towards the HM I was training for when I developed a stress fracture in a metatarsal. The HM was my first, and it still went pretty well. I didn't keep up with the pacer, but he was supposed to be pacing for 11:00/mile, and the data from my GPS indicates that the 4 miles I DID keep up, we were holding 10:00/mile. I can't help with the orthotic, though.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,504 Member
    Dilemma : Had a gait analysis as I am starting to find some form and sure enough my running style has changed and I've lost a lot of my over-pronation. The shoes they recommended, which were structured neutral with heel cushioning as I heel strike and good arch and ankle support were very nice however £102 ($130) and I have never spent more than £40 previously. I have two pairs of Asics gel-Sonoma that are neutral though I will need another pair for the marathon. Do I go mad and buy the £102 pair or get another £40 Asics? I have to buy something in the shop as they provided good service but that can be 10 gel packs.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @shanaber that's so frustrating! It's annoying when you use something and they change the rules on you.

@TheMrWobbly given you've been having shinsplints lately (please tell me I remember that correctly and it was you...) I'd get the new shoes and see how they go. Personally I find that it's totally worth getting shoes recommended by the analysis. And one advantage of getting fitted is if you don't like the shoes after a few runs, you should be able to return them.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    @Avidkeo - Congratulations! That's awesome!