WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Vitamins-I take Vitamin D. Have had deficiency in the past and it was miserable. With my thyroid suppression therapy (no thyroid, take meds at a level to keep me below normal), it has an impact on Vitamin D and I am to keep it at a higher level). Take a pre and post biotic and d mannose. Someone here recommended those for recurrent UTI issues and they do seem to help (took for several weeks then stopped and went back on since I could tell a difference). Other than that, try to eat fairly well and all levels look good.

Didn't sleep overly well (typical for one night in hotel). Went out this morning and walked outside for about 20 minutes. Getting ready to go sit in meetings. Should be finished in time to get back home and get to gym. Won't be able to workout Wednesday due to time of Ash Wednesday service and choir is singing.

Hope everyone has good day. Thanks for your positive thoughts for my brother and Logan.

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m new here and only a couple of weeks in. My first week I lost almost 10 pounds of which I know was water weight. I just weighed myself and I only lost .9 pound! I’m sticking to my diet, eating good foods and walking 5 miles a day every morning for excruciating. I didn’t expect to lose another 9 pounds but not even losing a whole pound was just depressing. Anyone else been through this? I only started to have a weight issue in my forties and because of this stopped working out altogether. I’m trying to get down a total of forty pounds. My thyroid has been checked and I have already gone through the change. Any help ladies who are in my age range??

Dawn, Roselle Illinois

You're doing great ... right on track. Losing about 1 lb (and that amount may vary each week) is perfect. :) Keep it up!

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Dawn Illinois- Sounds great to me!

Hubby won’t suggest anything for his meals like usual so going at it blind like usual .
    Thinking more Hispanic foods not sure yet. 15cal per fajita seasoning mix I got so could make shredded chicken.

Amber Tx

Bought $4 each new pants yesterday my next size down.Little tight like a Thanksgiving supper hoping not to pop the buttons or zipper but so close my others are gapping.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Janet OKC ~ Thanks so much for checking in with us. You have been missed. Continued good wishes and prayers for you and your daughter.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    ========================
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Janet OKC ~ Thanks so much for checking in with us. You have been missed. Continued good wishes and prayers for you and your daughter.

Carol in GA

Thank you, Carol. I was pretty sick with an eye infection and trying to settle in to this new routine. I really will try to keep up a bit better.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Amber: We used to take our kids to Chuckie Cheese for birthday party celebrations. I haven’t thought of that in ages. Your post put all sorts of happy memories in my head. Thanks! :smiley:

Machka: You are absolutely right that all the successful weight loss plans boil down to CICO—aka Calories In-Calories Out.. :star:

Ginny in OH: I hope things go very well for your brother. :heart:

Sue: The stable was having a windy weather event and the horses were all edgy so my lesson was cancelled. It is about 15 miles from here and at a higher elevation. The weather there can be more challenging than it is here beside the river. There will be another chance soon. :flowerforyou:

Dawn from Roselle Illinois: Welcome! Best advice for weight management is CICO—Calories In-Calories Out. Measure your portions and count your calories. Try to get healthy exercise. That can be brisk walking, riding bikes, or many other activities that get your body moving and burning calories. I enjoy yoga classes, walking and horseback riding. I have found that if I enjoy an exercise I am more likely to do it. :wink:

Janet OKC: Great to see your post. I hope you’ll find time to stop by more often. :smiley:

Our ovens are cleaned, the blower system is back with the rental company and life is better. YAY!!! :bigsmile:

Regarding vitamin supplements-I take quite a few. My doctor asked for me to bring them in and she was satisfied that all are good for me. She wants me to have a daily glass of red wine for heart health. As you may remember, I’ve banned alcohol from my life. I’m having some problems with this request from her. I tried the red wine for a while and am not drinking it at this time. Advice would be welcome. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR in OKC - SO pleased to hear from you, and that the situation has turned out well for your daughter. Thank you for letting us know.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: (((hugs)))

Ginny: May your brother rally and keep dementia at bay. He is lucky to have you by his side.

Janetr: Wonderful to hear DD is with you and thriving. No substitute for Mom's care.

Today's dementia rant and a question:
    DH got aggressive with DB a couple nights ago during a bout of sundowners. Nobody got any sleep, and the aftermath still lingers. I'm a wreck and DB has been staying at a hotel. I know that aggressive behavior in dementia can be an indication of pain, and he has been having diarrhea almost daily, which he completely denies. So, I'm going to get him to primary care physician this Friday and get another perspective. I've been resistant to putting him on any prescription dementia meds, but now feel ready to give modern medicine a try. I'd welcome any words of wisdom from those who have gone that route.

Rori
    NOW enjoying a moment of peace
    Colorado Foothills
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    (((Rori))) Taking DH to a primary care physician is a great idea. Hopefully you will get good guidance. Perhaps there will be some sort of RX to reduce negative behavior. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,613 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!
    So my dentist cleaning was good. Blood doctor appointment is end of March. Not that far away, but so far away. Tried to get appointment for allergy testing. They want a referral and are a month out. Has anyone done the everlywell testing? Am seriously considering it. Or do I wait for blood doctor? Just tired.
    I thought of a lot to reply to and have now forgotten. Will try to look up tonight as am on phone right now.

I didnt have a nickname until I was in my 20's. One of my friends calls me Ky. Otherwise, it is Kylia.

Lunch was romaine, spinach, lightly cooked asparagus and broccoli with black beans and a little ranch dressing. 1/2 orange for dessert. Such a pretty salad and 4 servings veggies and 1 fruit. Afternoon snack will be plain yogurt with raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries (only a few of each) with granola and cherry juice. I have been putting frozen cherries in it but forgot to get last night. Had tart cherry juice so added that. Will let you know how it tastes.

Speaking of veggies....i want to try to add more different ones to my diet. I picked up fresh brussel sprouts and cut up butternut squash. Suggestions on cooking? Brussel sprouts were boiled and buttered growing up-YUCK! Brussel sprouts, turnip greens, cabbage, and cauliflower are about the only veggies I tried growing up that I dont like. Suggestions helpful! I like sauerkraut occasionally.

Karen, I think, sorry for the loss of your friend. It has to be hard not being nearby, even if she wouldn't recognize you now. Hugs.

Gotta get back to work.
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio where winter returns tomorrow