Options
    BARBARA Happy birthday x

BARBIE Thanks for new thread

Kate UK <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Allie – stay strong, you are making a tough but excellent decision! You go girl!

Karen in Virginia – Great picture of Mom and Grandma, love the gal in blue pecking around to get in the pic!

Happy Birthday Rita and Barbara

Kim from N. California
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I have masks y gloves from taking care of my mother when her cancer was in the final stages. No they don’t expire in my opinion for normal folks since I’m not a hospital worker 👩‍⚕️ 👨‍⚕️leaning over the worst cases. I have used it through my pregnancy too (has too hubby thought it was silly 😜 I took it off to please him bam 💥 weeks in the hospital 🏥 pregnant fighting for my life y JRs.... after that he yelled where’s your mask 😷!! If I took off for even a second lol). I wear it when sick to prevent JR from getting it since I’m the main caregiver for his baths 🛁 to food even sleep 🛏. Hubby usually working even when sick or he walks himself inside a bedroom away from JR as much as possible (after JR being born premie he worries). Some folks need masks 😷 ,but not everyone.A simple face mask is good enough I see folks spending $40- $100’s for a unknown if it’s effective masks 😷! Unless it’s reusable for years with a good purpose (like if your in construction fields) then great buy. The guy sitting in Mom’s basement gaming has zero use for it! People needing masks are those with lung illnesses,cancers,auto immune disease,pregnancy,y anything that can be impacted by a normal flu even. Some 20yr old guy wearing it who’s a healthy body builder is unnecessary in my opinion. Maybe if you ride a subway to travel by plane a lot or plan a cruise yeah get a mask 😷 or if in a smoggy city that advises masks. A guy in the country side who rarely comes in contact with folks is wasting money. A home body like myself kids not in school rarely gets out doesn’t need no fancy painters mask to leave the house 🏡. Hubby does but all in construction needs them. I’m seeing folks in unpopulated areas stocking up when theirs no need.The city folks who use a bus instead of a personal car needs it more. Living in the city where it’s hard to move around in a store without bumping elbows We changed our shopping schedules the minute JR was born if a restaurant parking lots full we turn around find a quieter place. My Dads out in the country side so safer if he gets it won’t spread farther than his house or him y his sisters house. My sister-in-law well that’s a different story 3 kids in 3 different schools (elementary,middle,high school) plus she works a lot uses daycares to nanny’s is at a million after kid programs heads the Girl Scouts for her area the kids get sick continuously nonstop,but would never wear a mask is the type who needs one!!! Good news is warmer months are coming so hopefully many flu to colds will die off maybe this one too for awhile until next season. That would give scientists time to come up with stuff.

Some of the masks popping up right now are not FDA approved they may not even really work (cheaply made at hefty price tags 🏷)
    If you do buy consider Homedepots to Walmart not the 3rd party sellers. Some can be made at home for those who sew 🧵. Simply put together some thick cotton washable material nice y thick add elastic ear loops or Velcro etc. Same thing as what’s selling for $20-$50 right now.

Here’s a flu mask recommendations from years ago more reliable than the ones coming out right now where Amazon to 3rd party sellers are paying big bucks for a good review but selling junk.
    https://themighty.com/2018/01/face-masks-brands-cold-flu-prevention/

According to Government sites only very ill type people those already effected should wear a mask.Everyone else stop shaking hands to stand far enough apart from who your talking to wash hands🖐 y limit exposure until waer weather in April .

Still unsure about how the government is using bases for the sick 🤒 seems flawed.

Amber Tx

Stockpiling 2 weeks worth of food has been recommended by FEMA for any disasters at all times anyways we all just don’t follow it is all. Our city runs out of food y waters in crisis cause surrounding areas hit us hard in disasters to panics. So we try to have it ready. Dads in the country side their trying to give stuff away in disasters cause they don’t have enough shoppers lol 😂...of course they don’t their hitting my grocery store like usual!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,104 Member
    Options
    Facts about COVID-19

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus

I quote:

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.

Now, my understanding is that after investigating several different possible animals, they've indicated that the animal to human jump occurred from a bat.

News Article Updates:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Rolling Updates:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/events-as-they-happen

Questions and Answers:
    https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

I quote again:

Can humans become infected with the COVID-19 from an animal source?
    Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in animals. Rarely, people get infected with these viruses which may then spread to other people. For example, SARS-CoV was associated with civet cats and MERS-CoV is transmitted by dromedary camels. Possible animal sources of COVID-19 have not yet been confirmed.

To protect yourself, such as when visiting live animal markets, avoid direct contact with animals and surfaces in contact with animals. Ensure good food safety practices at all times. Handle raw meat, milk or animal organs with care to avoid contamination of uncooked foods and avoid consuming raw or undercooked animal products.

How long does the virus survive on surfaces?
    It is not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 survives on surfaces, but it seems to behave like other coronaviruses. Studies suggest that coronaviruses (including preliminary information on the COVID-19 virus) may persist on surfaces for a few hours or up to several days. This may vary under different conditions (e.g. type of surface, temperature or humidity of the environment).

If you think a surface may be infected, clean it with simple disinfectant to kill the virus and protect yourself and others. Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, or nose.

You can also keep on top of the situation reports and other reports:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/

The most recent one tells us that there are 88948 cases worldwide and there have been 3043 deaths. This means that 3.4% of the cases have resulted in death.

Indications are that most people just have a mild case of the flu.

And finally, check out the Myth busters section:
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Just readjusted my news feed today.Im still learning it. As for males - I have had ones just adding to look at journals like anyone else to the weirdo creepy Perv who included a phone number to I’m single are you ?? Last one was Cali said I got a kid too I’m single I’d be interested in getting to know you ! Yeah deleted so fast 💨 his heads spinning I bet. Got a roses 🌹 are red one deleted his request too. Since my pics JR it just feels creepy they confirm it with their first sentence attached to the request. All they have to do in Author search is type on my darn name can see Im 100% taken! Married! Not interested in nobody but my Hubby! I delete all male requests it’s my preference y my hubby’s also.

I have got some nice requests from Women even tho my friend list is I think up to 8 or 9 their nice Gals so I’m happy. When I get stuck on meal ideas sometimes seeing they are potatoe or shrimp 🦐 restarts my brain 🧠 on what I can make. Gets my creative juices to over come this brain fog.

Amber Tx

Heading to bed 🛌. My Dad reminded me by text we can celebrate together as a family at home if need be we can celebrate JRs birthday any day doesn’t have to be the exact day. Love my Dad he always knows what to say.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Re: males sending friends requests. Yeah, I accepted one who followed up with the old "get to know you better" thing right after I got active here again (three weeks or so ago). I didn't respond - I don't really do email, so whatever (yawn). As a relatively extreme introvert, following threads is almost more than I can handle anyway.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara, HAPPY Birthday!🎈🎁🎉🎊🎂
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,104 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) About friends on MFP. Even if you accept a friend request, you are in charge of whatever interaction you have. I tell anyone who wants to chat by mail that I'm not good at that and only interact on my favorite threads. I also remove a lot of "friends" from my newsfeed if what they share is annoying to me. As a last resort, which I've never had to use, I can delete a friend. I think you can also block someone from contacting you. I have had no trouble and don't consider a request from a man to be "creepy'. We're all on this journey together. Also I have cancelled all messages from my newsfeed so there are no reports of weight loss, exercise, completing my diary, or getting a new friend so none of my "friends" knows what's going on with me unless they read this thread or the others I post on.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

You've never deleted a "friend"?

I do that quite frequently.

Every 2-3 months, I sort my "friends" by 'Last Login', then have a closer look at those who have not logged in for 6 months or more. If you check the profiles, you can see if they've made a post on their profiles which hasn't appeared on the main newsfeed. If no posts there, then I might do a search for their names in the forum to see if they are active in the forums here. If they don't appear to be active on the forums within the last 6 months ........ delete!

I figure they're finished with MFP and gone.

I also delete people who have an entirely different approach, perspective etc. than I do ... one I don't agree with. I've only done that maybe 3-4 times.

As for friend requests ...

On my profile, under 'About Me' I have this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Please send a message with your friend request. Chances are, I won't accept without one. Introduce yourself ... tell me about yourself, your interests, your goals ... and especially let me know if you're into bicycles and cycling.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So ... when someone sends me a friend request without a message, I'll usually simply decline. After all, if the person doesn't have enough interest in me to look at my profile, then ... "bye-bye".

I will also usually wait a month or more to accept people who might be OK. Some people sign up with MFP and are really keen for a few weeks ... they post to all kinds of threads, they try to collect all kinds of friends, and then about a month later they're bored with it all and disappear.

After a month or two, I'll look at their profiles to see if they are friend collectors ... if so ... nope. Then I look to see what they've got in their "About Me" and I do a search for their names in the forum to see what kind of person they are here. If they sound interesting ... I might accept. If not ... decline.

Barbie, you said "Even if you accept a friend request, you are in charge of whatever interaction you have" and I absolutely agree.

If there's anything that makes you feel uncomfortable ... take steps to make a change.

Machka in Oz