WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.
    ** I was hoping to run a 5K in Feb, but that didn't happen. I have, however, joined a "Run Strong" program to learn to run with better technique. And I'm climbing a multitude of stairs. Hoping to get another 500 in March. I've also got one or two cycling events to organise this month. **

Machka in Oz

I have another "Run Strong" session early this evening. Looking forward to it! :)

Our instructor gave us some homework last week:

1) Try some of the exercises we did in the "Run Strong" session. I've done a bit of that.

2) Do Bridging and build up to Single-Leg Bridging, making sure to engage the glutes. I can do both because I've been working on them in my pilates class for months now.

3) Do Planks. Start with 15 seconds and build up to 30 seconds. I'd never done a plank before so last Tuesday when I went to my pilates class, I asked my instructor if she could show me how to do a plank. I started with about 8 seconds and have built up to 20 seconds. So it is still a work in progress.

I've also been doing some upper body weights and additional core work.

In the coming week, I'm going to have to give lunges a go. I used to do them years ago, but got out of the habit.

This is a bridge and then a single-leg bridge:

ci8pzdsuf73l.png

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Ginny Ohio- Way to go on a big $500 lottery win!! Get that dream day bed!

Amber Tx

Pizza 🍕 night so used my extra calories for a slice!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Ginny How did your brother's vocal cord biopsy turn out? And is Logan doing well with his casted arm?

Heather I meant to tell you how truly wonderful your Norway trip sounds. Is there any chance Penny will be nearby? It would be neat if she could take the RHIB jaunt with you.

Luci Love the adorable Iris photos. <3

Rori Understandable that your brother is discouraged. :(

>>>

Someone asked about my nickname, I think it may have been Barbara who asked. It's taken me some time to remember why I was called Karen-a-wee-wee. Karen-a-wee-wee was my older sister's endearment for me because my middle name was Marie. I guess "a-wee-wee" was "Marie" in sister-talk. My older brother sometimes called me Carrom because of a board game we played. My mother called me "Dolly". In elementary school, a few mean boys called me "horse" and pretended it was because I owned & rode horses. Idiots.
    I matured early at 10 or 11, and was much taller and more developed than other girls my age. The others caught up with me by the time we were 14 or 15, but going through puberty early (for that era) was a humiliating experience.

>>>

Today is the 19th anniversary of my mother's death. This is my mom as a young woman; I believe it was taken around 1950:
    88qvfbv8cly1.jpeg

>>>

I wanted to post 2 more photos of my friend Lynette's wedding day in 1976 I believe. I love Rod's western dress outfits - probably the only dressy clothes he has ever owned in his life. He is a farmer and never ever dresses up for anything. Rod and Lynette were both in my high school graduating class, as were Shona, Pam, Jodie, and Daylene.
    qntera4sjjo6.png

Karen in Virginia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Karen - Thank you for all your beautiful photographs. They touch my heart. Such stories they tell. I feel I could sit right down and write a story about each of them. <3

SuziQ - Delicious! :D I find that the nicer and more special the food I eat, the less I need to binge or "treat" myself with junk. I feel so happy that I've had something lovely that I have no urge to stuff myself.
    Our last night tandoori chicken thighs with roasted cauliflower was heavenly and very low in calories. I made a raita to go with it and chopped up a couple of fresh tomatoes. Afterwards we had fresh mango. And 1 oz of dark chocolate. A feast beyond compare! I had AF pink wine.

KJ - You must be aching to see those adorable boys. :o<3
    I'm sorry you are not getting more me time. Can you find a day at the weekend just to get out of the house and do something fun for you? You definitely 'deserve ' it. :D

Rori - Sending good vibes for the day care. It might take a bit of perseverance. <3 Sorry about your snow. We feel the same about our record rain in February, though the wind was also awful and never stopped.

Might get the blood test results today, or maybe tomorrow. They just said 3 working days. I hope DH will ring up if we don't hear by tomorrow.
    We are picking up Bea from nursery today and taking her back to their house to see the others. Nice. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Karen - Penny lives in Svarlbard most of the year. In the summer she lives near Tromso. Both, but particularly Svarlbard, are a long way from where I will be half way up the coast of Norway. Tromso is on the top of the mainland and Svarlbard is in the mass of islands directly to the north. It looks closer and bigger on this flat map than it looks on a globe, where it is definitely right up by the North Pole.

9uc50fqm8mm7.jpg

I'm feeling that it is likely our trip will not take place at all. If I were Saga I would be very worried.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.
    ** I was hoping to run a 5K in Feb, but that didn't happen. I have, however, joined a "Run Strong" program to learn to run with better technique. And I'm climbing a multitude of stairs. Hoping to get another 500 in March. I've also got one or two cycling events to organise this month. **

Machka in Oz

I have another "Run Strong" session early this evening. Looking forward to it! :)

Our instructor gave us some homework last week:

1) Try some of the exercises we did in the "Run Strong" session. I've done a bit of that.

2) Do Bridging and build up to Single-Leg Bridging, making sure to engage the glutes. I can do both because I've been working on them in my pilates class for months now.

3) Do Planks. Start with 15 seconds and build up to 30 seconds. I'd never done a plank before so last Tuesday when I went to my pilates class, I asked my instructor if she could show me how to do a plank. I started with about 8 seconds and have built up to 20 seconds. So it is still a work in progress.

I've also been doing some upper body weights and additional core work.

In the coming week, I'm going to have to give lunges a go. I used to do them years ago, but got out of the habit.

Machka in Oz

Brisk 1.8 km walk after work to the park.

Our instructor put us through our paces!! The focus of this Run Strong class was to get our feet up ... we were leaping over low hurdles and all. One of the better ones for me was to run as though the ground was very hot ... lots of high, short steps.

But it was tiring! My legs aren't used to running with short, high steps. My tendency has been to run with longer, low steps which is less efficient and actually puts a bit of a braking effect on my legs.

This week's homework is to continue with the planks and bridging, to add some lunges and to work on the high steps any chance I get.

Machka in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Karen in Va -brother’s procedure went well. They biopsied two tumors. Will get results Wednesday. Mr. Logan is doing well with cast. He is a typically toddler and doesn’t let much of anything slow him down!

Heather-I would think a cruise might get cancelled right now with the corona virus.

Rori-hope husband’s visit goes well.

Machka-planks and bridges definitely provide a work out.

Slept well last night-off to get ready to start another week. End today with gym so I will just focus on that if thinks start bothering me today. The good news it is warmer today (50s). Bad news is--rain all day!
    Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    Good Monday! Happy March!
    Barbie Thank you for a new month!
    Barbara Happy birthday!
    Ginny I hope you enjoyed some of the sunshine yesterday.

This weekend was awesome! Could I have gotten more done.....always....but was still a great weekend. Ran a few errands with Husband on Saturday, then spent some time listing stuff on eBay for him. Was a quiet evening. Sunday we finally made it back to church. Between having grandkids, being out of town, me being sick, husband having back issues, it has been a few months. It was wonderful! Small enough congregation that we were missed. 🙂 Came home and listed more stuffs on eBay. He then went with me on a walk! We went to a local park with blacktop walking trail. It was fun. We need to do that more. Ran a few more errands. I got a new pillow for my bench outside. Looking forward to sitting out there! Picked up house, cleaned up kitchen, changed sheets, sorted laundry, vacuumed house. Husband helped me vacuum our comforter. Lots of dog hair! I was surprised as she isn't allowed on bed, but shows how the hair floats.

February goals- I am going to say overall I get a C. I logged daily, I watched eating choices. I saved and gave. I kept paperwork up to date. I generally hit water goal 90%. Ended month 2 lbs lighter!

March- continue with eating well, logging, and water. Concentrate on spiritual, exercise, and cleaning.

Have a blessed day!
    <3
    Kylia in rainy Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    SuziQ Thanks for CDC link and update on your work restructuring, which must be a mercenary process. Not like the gleaning, which is the polar opposite. You lead an interesting life. And…that meal looks scrumptious. There is a thread called "What do your meals look like (show me pictures)…." - you should post there.

Pip Glad your bruise is gone and hope your tummy is better now.

Green Bay Tracie Nice to hear from you!

Beth I use Nature Made, but I haven't done extensive research on the best brands.

Betsy Good to have the legal stuff in your rearview mirror.

Kelly Ahhhh!!! Thanks. Those 3 month pics are so similar! Miguel is a little rounder and his eyebrows are a little darker. Love the way they both rub their hair & other hand near their mouths when they sleep. So vulnerable and sweet.

Pat, near Chattanooga, Tennessee at the foot of Lookout Mountain Welcome! We are supportive & caring, for sure, and are actually interested in your boring drudge, so feel free to share anything.

Katla Quiet reading day sounds wonderful to me. Add some hot tea and I'd be in heaven.

Barbara 70th Birthday! Woooooooottt!!! birthday-song.gif

>>>

Karen in Virginia

bruise is gone, still a small bump that's going down but tummy ache still lingering on
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie My mom would advise you to "go forward with a fierce heart".

We're with you.

Karen in Virginia
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Kylia - I think you should give yourself at least a B+. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone! How about that...I was able to make it through all the pages this morning! <3

Goal for March 2020: To remember to have balance in all things including food intake. I really would like to drop 4 pounds from my frame. ;)

Heather: Sorry about your cruise worries. :'( Hoping it all works out. I worry about going anywhere there are a lot of people now. We seem to be isolating ourselves because of being afraid. If its not fear of a mass shooting, it's a contagion or bomb threat. What is the world coming to?

Allie: Sending hugs! Loved the advice Karen in Virginia gave “Go forward with a fierce heart”.
    <3

Tere in RVA