WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Happy Marc ladies! I had planned to get on this forum more but already failed that! DOH! Lol

Good news is I made 95% of my 20 for 20 goals in February! Happy about that!

Well, still busy so gotta go.

Happy birthday Barbara! Mine is tomorrow. 64 already! Where does the time go?

RV Rita

Finished reading pg 2
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for the new thread!

Barbara and Rita Happy birthday!

Allie best of luck with your job transition!

Heather, I am also worried about travel. My trip is scheduled for the end of March to Tucson. There's no telling how widespread the virus will be by then. All we can do is wait and see. And wash our hands!

I did pretty well with exercise but poorly with diet in February. Goals for March are the same: stay under calorie budget and exercise six days a week. Well, I am off to the gym.

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I hope your brother feels better soon and that he finds just the right job. I especially hope your DH enjoys himself at the Vet’s club. Keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out very well. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Your mom is looking very stylish in her good Sunday clothes. She has a lovely face and bright eyes. :heart:

Heather: Is Saga having boat troubles, virus worries for passenger health, or is this a weather problem? :huh: I am a very conservative soul and would be strongly considering cancelling this trip and rebooking after worldwide virus worries decline or disappear. :flowerforyou:

Allie: The staff departures definitely speak of very poor management by your employer. Have you been looking for work in another dentist office? I would be, in your situation. I’d also look at other types of work. I like Karen’s advice to go forward with a fierce heart and also Barbie’s advice to come from a place of love. Anger and resentment in the workplace are not good for you or the patients. :star:

Barbara: Happy Birthday!!! :heart:

Pat: Your owl is delightful. :bigsmile:

Luci: My doctor advised me to have a glass of red wine daily. She says that resveratrol in red wine is heart healthy. I have partially implemented her advice, and I add just a little red wine to a glass of sparkling water each evening. So far, so good. :heart: Marijuana is legal in OR but I don’t want to smoke anything. I wouldn’t mind MJ brownies, though. :devil:

Mcbf42: Welcome! :star:

I planned to go to yoga today and went to the gym where I learned that our teacher is at home with sick kids. I rode a recumbent bike for 100 calories worth and came home.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna and Celia! :)

Celia ~ We could kind of be twins...I retired as a 5th grade teacher at 58, I'm 5'1", and I weigh 170 lbs.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,242 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Katla - For Saga at the moment it's business as normal, with restrictions on people who have returned from high risk areas and more monitoring before hand and on board. They are doing only waiter service for meals, no buffets and have increased the hand sanitation stations, which were already prolific. The problem for us is not the fear of catching something, but being confined to a cabin for 14 days if someone else tests positive. We are keeping an eye on numbers of people in the UK affected, currently pretty low, but expected to increase. The trouble is, it would only take one person to ruin everything.
    I am grateful that we have a couple of weeks to see how things are going and I am especially grateful that I am not CEO of Saga. :o

Our pizza was fantastic, the atmosphere was great and the waiters were perfect. :D I have squeaked under maintenance calories because we walked 3 miles to the kids and back.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Clarification: my paternal grandmother is sitting beside my mother, in the same pew, on my mother's right.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    I just got a male friend request and sure enough when I looked him up all his friends were female. To me this is creepy.

I admit I bought a wipes to keep in my car when I go into a store or restaurant I use one or more to open doors, touch the key pads, wipe off the table at the restaurant, etc. Your right Macha I should have done this all along to cut down on catching others illnesses out there.

So far this year I had a cold that lasted about four days. I feel fortunate to be healthy thus far.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did a spinning download workout. The plan for tomorrow is to take the Power Hour class

After exercise stopped at a store to return one thing then went to the crochet group here, then went out by the pool. Just laid in the sun. Really, too windy to go in the pool, but it was nice to lay in the sun. Just went to a few thrift stores with a friend of mine and got some DVD’s (yes, ones I didn’t have, there are some like that)

Drkatie – sending virtual Kleenex. While this isn’t something I gave up, but for Lent I’m making the “sacrifice” that I don’t eat anything after dinner. I know that I really shouldn’t do that, it just sits on my stomach, so I want to change it. I know that the one year I gave up white flour (this must have been about 15 years ago) and ever since those 40 days, I rarely care for biscuits, etc. Before…just put it in front of me and watch it disappear. Now even today I can have one and that’s enough

GinnyOH – wow! So happy for your winnings

Katla – I love my tea, but not black tea. Anything but. Black tea makes my stomach feel terrible

Rori – you never cease to amaze me how you (and M) care for your hubby. Hope your brother gets better fast which will help lift his spirits.

Karen VA – your mom was a lovely lady. It’s so interesting to look at pictures from long ago, see the clothes they wore, etc. Look at Lynette’s bell bottoms!! Oh, yes, how well I remember always have a corsage for Easter.

Speaking of men on here…I got a friend request from another one today. I just deleted it. Wonder why I’m getting so many lately?

Luci NC – I don’t even tell Vince what I put in his food. Otherwise, I’d never hear the end of it! And if he had even a tiny stomach ache, you KNOW it’ll be because of what he ate.

Welcome everyone new. This is a great group

Dcresider – I always say that you’re as old as you feel. I just don’t talk about the days when I feel 75…lol

Paula – I’m so sorry about your mom

Bettyann – welcome back!!!

RVRita – happy birthday

Celia TX – welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan in place!

Michele who wish she could stay in FL longer
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,567 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Good afternoon. Welcome to the new ladies, and thank you to Barb for keeping us going.

I have an unrelated question regarding Covid-19.

So back when H1N1 hit us, 1 out of every 5 US citizens caught it (according to the quick research I did on it this morning). The mortality rate was very low, thankfully, although I did lose a childhood friend to it. (He had asthma and didn't seek medical attention soon enough).

Even though that was only 10 years ago, I don't remember this much hype about it. Am I forgetting, or is there something different about this virus than H1N1?

Any medical people (Karen?) out there who want to help me understand why this seems so much worse?

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    A couple good things are developing from this coronavirus situation.

1) Increased emphasis on hygiene and cleanliness.

2) Increased emphasis on personal space with limited physical contact.

I'm delighted with those developments! The university has already started cleaning the place ... really cleaning not just a quick vacuum once in a while. And I hope the metro will do the same.

Winter flus here have been getting worse and worse. Maybe cleaning and letting us maintain personal space will help!

M in Oz

Further to this ...

It seems to me that flus have been increasing in intensity and length.

I recall that when I was in my Business Admin course in about 1997, I came down with a flu including a temp around 101-102F. I was away from class for 3 days before the temp broke and I felt better. But I was ridiculed by one instructor in particular who thought I was a) faking it because flus don't last 3 days, or 2) should have come anyway because a fever is no reason to stay home.

I've encountered that sort of attitude at different times in my education and work experiences.

Flus were once thought to be 24 hours or maybe 48 hours if they were really bad. A cold might be 5-7 days.

Now we seem to get things that hang in there for a month or more. I don't know why ... maybe it's that people in general seem to eat less healthy diets and don't exercise as much. Maybe we've become more complacent about hygiene. Maybe it's the trend toward open plan workplaces. Maybe it's because we're a global community now. This might be an area that needs research.

Whatever it is, I am hoping that some good might come of the raised concerns now and I'll add a third thing to my list above ...

3) Increased focus on online courses and working from home!! :)

Meanwhile, my workplace has just issued this advice:

Simple things you can do to protect yourself and others from novel coronavirus (COVID-19)

1. Wash and dry your hands often, with soap and water. Germs can spread through hand contact. Wash your hands before touching your face (especially lips, mouth, nose, eyes), food and drinks, and after coughing, sneezing and going to the toilet.

2. Wash and dry your hands well. Make sure the soap and water come into contact with your whole hand – palms, backs of hands, thumbs, fingertips, wrists and the webbing between your fingers. Rub your hands for 15–20 seconds, or for as long as it takes to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song slowly.

3. Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. If you don’t have a tissue, use the inside of your elbow. Put used tissues in the rubbish straight after use (don’t keep germs in your pocket!) and then wash your hands.

4. Keep your distance. Try to keep a metre (a large step) from people who are coughing or sneezing.

And I'll add that these are not just things to protect ourselves from COVID-19 but also from all colds and flus.

I'm also wiping down ...
    • my desk phone
    • my keyboard
    • my mouse
    • my mousepad
    • my mobile phone
    • my monitors if I sneeze
    • my desk surface
    • the arms of my desk chair

When I arrive at work after taking the bus, when I get in from walking at lunch, and when I arrive at home after taking the bus, I wash my hands.

And I'm debating about bringing wipes onto the bus to wipe down any place my hands might touch to brace myself as the bus goes around corners.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    RV Rita: It is great to see your post! Happy Birthday tomorrow. I’ll bet you’ll still be needed when you’re 64. :bigsmile: :wink:

Celia in Bastrop TX: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. I retired from teaching several years ago. I miss my coworkers and most of the kids, but NOT the nasty commute. Retirement is pretty nice. I hope you’ll enjoy every minute of it. :heart:

Anna OK: Welcome!

Heather: I hope that you’re able to take the trip because things are safe again. Keeping my fingers crossed that safety comes in time for your get away. :star:

Allie: Wishing you the best of luck. I hope you find your dream job.

I’ve been reading books written by Janet Chapman. The series is about time traveling highlanders. I read them the first time several years ago. I owned most of them and recently found a few more books in her Highlander series. I enjoyed them in the past and have enjoyed them again. Sadly, Ms.Chapman died from breast cancer several years go. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Allie as you look for other jobs have a story ready if they ask about your previous employment where you can put a positive spin. (I know it has not been positive for you.)

I like how you say you are ready to try something else a great thing to say. I would say nothing negative about your previous employer. Hard to do, so have some practiced answers ready.

Perhaps concentrate on the training you received and how well you got along with the patients. Maybe ask a patient for a reference. Your boss wanted you to stay yet you knew it was time to explore other options that fit your skill set.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie-Got to do what you got to do. There’s plenty of other dentists that are more relaxed environments to even office jobs.Take a breath be glad it’s almost over with.

Welcome more new comers.

Not sure why this ones considered worse than H1N1. I do know for some it turns into deadly phemonia others it doesn’t.Seems like an off illness. If we get it we get it don’t think it can be avoided if your areas hit hard. My areas oopsie incident we may be on the news like Wuhan soon. Will see if God shows mercy on us or not. I do know this is making it hard to plan a Birthday Party for JR (me,Dad,hubby,y JR only). Leaving it up to hubby he good about making decisions I can’t handle the stress of it.

Amber Tx

Lunch y Dinner - 1 slice of pizza 🍕 y a crystal light sweet tea with lemon. Snack don’t know yet.