• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Update
    1/1/20= 270
    1/11/20= 266.4
    1/17/20= 263.2
    1/25/20=262.3
    2/15/20=260.9

Good to see you made it through this latest coldmageddon. Have to admit I don't care one bit for these temperature swings. And congrats on your progress.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday Check-in

In short, progress being made. -2.4 pound scale movement, all commitments met, active goals met.

Longer version
    I'm relieved to say that I was able to successfully reset/retool with the change I settled on last Sunday. It is less for me to ponder on. It should also make adherence that much better, as I will now be creating habits within what might be really close to maintenance level. The shift in perspective is quite something. Of course, if I decide to have a higher recomp/maintenance level of activity, I will need to shift up, but I will wait until I torch at least another 20-30 pounds before giving much thought to that, as I need to wait for diagnoses and see how therapy and such goes.

I have been slowly getting back into barbell training, and taking my time to progress. I went back down to the bare bar (45 pounds) and am waiting for the trainer clear on my form before moving on to additional bar loads and lifts, so I can hopefully build my body back up and maybe even help it move beyond the chronic injuries I've been dealing with (hoping that training with proper form will build up muscles/tendons to bolster joints and such). My squat form was cleared last week, so I am now adding in overhead press and have added 10 pounds to the bar for squats. I got the green light on the squat form with added weight yesterday, and the OHP just needs a bit of ironing, so I'm hoping that either next week or the week after I'll find that I'm good to go for that.

It's hard to be patient with strength training. I really want to get all the lifts going again, because all of them were going at what I felt was a decent form with a much more challenging load. Of course, the saying goes "practice makes permanent" and I don't want to create bad habits that can lead to lower total progress in the long run and possibly injuries, so I will do my best to keep remembering that.

Sleep issues and pain management continue to plague me. I'm going to have to poke at the ortho who ordered the MRI and find out why I have yet to be called with results or to have me schedule a follow-up. It's frustrating waiting.

On Monday I met with the physical therapist regarding my foot/knee issues. The knees are seemingly within the "fine" realm, so long as it's only exhaustion/basic soreness that I deal with. The feet are not something we can do much with in therapy, but he did figure out that we might be able to help mitigate some of the bone spur/arthritis pain by retraining my big toes for positioning and trying to increase the range of motion for spreading my toes out. He taught me how to tape my feet for additional support to help the retraining of my toes as well as to help my tendons/load issues, and I've learned a couple of stretches I can work on which should add strength and mobility over time.

He also had an extensive discussion with me on where I was going with my training. The summary bottom line was that, in order to avoid additional issues, I need to either 1) accept a [much] slower rate of loss and walk a lot less, or 2) walk less, but also work other types of fitness into my regular schedule that will allow my feet at least some reprieve while expanding my caloric deficit. I'm trying some group classes yesterday through next Thursday to see how I can do in them (most will require modification), and I'm also incorporating some time on the stationary recumbent bike (as much as I don't care for it). On the up-side, he was all for me continuing barbell training, so that was good.

The basic plan is to have me giving my feet a "active recovery day" mid week and end of week (or some other similar split). If I were to figure things out to be able to do an active recovery day every other day, that would be even more optimal. It will probably take at least a few weeks to figure out exactly what this will look like, but I am making it my primary focus.

The challenge I am currently in at my gym will be winding down this coming Thursday night. Honesty, I can't wait. If I wasn't plagued by physical issues, I think I would have enjoyed the challenge. Perhaps even a lot. It did help me with motivation to keep going/get back on the train, but it also has been a grind for some of the tasks, and absolutely frustrating and somewhat demotivating for group sessions and weekly physical challenges where I end up modifying so much as everyone else is powering through.

I'm going to buckle down, hit it as hard as I reasonably can for this last week, and after the challenge ends, I'm going to reward myself with a very "naughty" meal/day (an all-you-can-eat of some super tasty food that will likely have me at or somewhat above maintenance for the day), then will move forward with the general plan. I know that food rewards are generally not the way to go, but advertising has been driving me nuts, and I've been dangling this carrot in front of myself since I started working out of that binge cycle the prior week. I figure it can't be too bad to do it every once in a blue moon, so long as it's not habitual. I'll figure out some other non-food rewards for myself as time continues and make those the primary focus. Not sure what that will really look like, but I was thinking a pretty sundress for Easter might be something worth considering. Especially if it has the potential to be downsized as I continue on.

In other news, my psychiatrist has determined that we need to shift medications, as she's thinking another class of meds might have a better outcome than what I'm on right now. I'll be honest -- I'm really wary of changing, as most meds have not worked well for me at all, either in just not being effective or side effects being way beyond unacceptable. I've decided to hold off on the switch until after the challenge, as I don't want more irons in the fire. The shift will take several weeks, tapering off the current one as I taper up on the other. I'm really, really not crazy about this, but will do it. I just hope it doesn't land me inpatient. So Friday will be the first day of the shift. I probably won't have much to report on Saturday next week though since the build-down/build-up is time delayed.

If anyone read this, thank you for your patience and attention. I know it's long.

My plan:
    Current macro targets:

Strength days:
    1,995 kcal
    C: 258g
    F: 43g
    P: 144g

Off days:
    1,270 kcal
    C: 43g
    F: 58g
    P: 144g

Fat to include 10 grams EFAs all days

Commitments:

1) Intake: >1,150 kcal/day
    2) Exercise: >=30 minutes, 6 days/week
    3) Single-day deficit limit: 2,500 kcal
    4) Rest day(s): >=1/week (<1,100 kcal deficit)

Goals:

1) Strength training: 2+ days/week
    2) Indoor rowing (**with good form**): >=3 days/week (on hold due to nerve issues)
    3) Musical instrument practice: >=30 min, 6 days/week (on hold due to nerve issues)
    4) Caloric deficit (50+ kcal under): >=6 days/week

My Stats:

5'1" Female
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242.7
    Original goal: 140 lbs
    Current goal: 21.5% body fat (currently estimated at 140 lbs). Aiming to be at this point by 2020/12/05.

2020 Progress
    2020/01/04: 194.7
    2020/01/11: 192.0
    2020/01/18: 189.4
    2020/01/25: 185.4
    2020/02/01: 184.1
    2020/02/08: 184.3
    2020/02/15: 181.9

2019 Progress
    2019/09/14: 240.7
    2019/09/21: 238.8
    2019/09/28: 234.6
    2019/10/05: 230.8
    2019/10/12: 231.0
    2019/10/19: 226.9
    2019/10/26: 223.8
    2019/11/01: 219.6
    2019/11/09: 215.6
    2019/11/16: 212.7
    2019/11/23: 209.2
    2019/11/30: 203.9
    2019/12/07: 201.3
    2019/12/17: 199.7
    2019/12/21: 196.7
    2019/12/28: 197.3 (Planned maintenance break)

Strength training progress

Squats:
    55 lb 5x5 (2020/02/14)

Overhead Press:
    45 lb (started training form 2020/02/14)

Deadlift:
    45 lb (on hold)

Bench Press:
    45 lb (on hold)

Barbell Rows:
    45 lb (on hold)
  • aarnwaltne
    aarnwaltne Posts: 3 Member
    Hello all, I’m new. I’ve been @ this weight loss journey my whole life. I’ve always struggle. I’ve been consistent now for over 3 months and have dropped 37.8 lbs. I’m just consistently staying w/in my calories and exercise 4 times a week (twice w/ weights & twice cardio). I’ve been working on other areas in my life and I have a community to lean on. I realized I don’t really have a fitness community outside my wife & mom. So that’s my long way of saying Hello 👋🏽
  • wizdom70
    wizdom70 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello everyone I am new to the group. Ihave lost 24 pounds with 76 more to go. Recently I have not cared amd it showed up in my eating and exercise routine. I am getting back on track by establishing some accountability and a way to interact with others that struggle with weight. Best regards to everyone.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Welcome to all the new people.
    @MelodiousMermaid - The temp swings do suck and those are the biggest reason I’ve been thinking of warmer climate.

AFM-
    Weekend was a little rough missibg my dad and son a lot. My dad gave us small heart chocolate box until we moved out for me that was 18. I did the same for my son until he passed. I did plan my week of meals today.
  • Tattoomama4440
    Tattoomama4440 Posts: 26 Member
    Looks like I am not the only one who needs to loose a excess amount of weight. It sucks that I let myself go this far. On top of it all I am having to find out how to diet with hypothyroidism.
  • Tattoomama4440
    Tattoomama4440 Posts: 26 Member
    Welcome to all the new people.
    @MelodiousMermaid - The temp swings do suck and those are the biggest reason I’ve been thinking of warmer climate.

AFM-
    Weekend was a little rough missibg my dad and son a lot. My dad gave us small heart chocolate box until we moved out for me that was 18. I did the same for my son until he passed. I did plan my week of meals today.

I’m very ready for warmer climates too. It’s so much nicer to exercise outside. Walks are way more enjoyable! So sorry about this hard time during the weekend. Flowers in their honor on Valentines either in your home could help bring up your spirit about the holiday.
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Well, wasn't careful with my diet - put on a few pounds - stupid. Had a very active week, but lots of meetings and lots of food and going out to dinner with people from work. Needless to say, it's showing on the scale. Back to losing.

I did a session of chair yoga today - felt good. It's not easy when you are stiff and fat. LOL Will try to do something every day.

1/24 - 250.2
    2/17 - 253.2
  • timnsara617
    timnsara617 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, I just wanted found this group and really think this would be great to get some motivation from others. I have really bad arthritis in my knee and need a knee replacement. They will not do the surgery until I lose weight. Was doing really great for about 2 months. Until I recently became extremely ill. I was hospitalized. I could not hold anything down and had to be fed intravenously. Sadly I did not lose much weight. The doctors think my body went into storage mode. I am just now getting back to eating and exercising. Hoping to get motivated to get back to the diet.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @Tattoomama4440- Welcome...Thanks for suggestion. I agree I would enjoy nature more if it was warmer.
    @Sweetypie1- yoga I have always thought about trying. Congrats on doing it.
    @Timnsara617- Welcome!

AFM:
    Can’t wait for warmer weather so I will actually leave the house. Wish this week is instant motivation....I wish that I had it.
  • sweeetypie1
    edited February 2020
    Did yoga two days in a row then rested. Eating was better this week.
    Welcome @timnsara617

1/24 - 250.2
    2/17 - 253/2
    221 - 250.4
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Update
    1/1/20= 270
    1/11/20= 266.4
    1/17/20= 263.2
    1/25/20=262.3
    2/15/20=260.9
    2/22/20= 261.8

AFM:
    Weather was nice so was able to get outside this weekend. I also planned out my meals again this week. I went to the gym tonight.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Well the nice weather is arriving here in MN. Walked the dog outside for last 3 days. I planned my meals again this week. I had some blood work done and everything is good except for my blood pressure has been high for a year so doctor put me on a medication for now.

Update:
    1/1/20= 270
    1/11/20= 266.4
    1/17/20= 263.2
    1/25/20=262.3
    2/15/20=260.9
    2/22/20= 261.8
    2/28/20= 258.0
  • sweeetypie1
    @mnwalkingqueen - looking good on the weight loss. Keep it up!
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    This thread looks so positive and supportive, glad I found it, new to MFP communities. 6’4 male, 335 down to 315. Have been to 260 before and ready to get back there and below. -500 calories below BMR today and 3,000 steps (have back injury that caused foot drop so 3,000 is actually a good day, average about 2,000 during week and maybe 5,000 cutting grass on weekend). More updates to follow!
  • sweeetypie1
    Struggling - haven't really lost any weight for a while.
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    @sweetypie1 I know that feeling all too well. Sometimes it’s all I can do to get through my week, much less worry about losing weight. You, and your body, will do the best it can. I found that when I accept that thought I can focus on doing better instead of beating myself up. Some weeks it’s get more sleep, some weeks it’s drink more water, most weeks it’s just don’t gain weight much less lose weight. I count those weeks as a win too!
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday Check-in

Welcome to the new people. I'm on the struggle bus right now along with you all.

Short version: It's been a whirlwind of family drama, exhaustion, and more over the last several weeks. I've been lurking, but haven't been motivated to check in due to multiple factors. Will probably be getting back into a routine this coming week and have updated targets/commitments/goals such that they are all at a level I can be accountable for.

Longer version
    Honestly, there is so much more I could write, but I am so tired. Life-ing has been hard these last several weeks.

My stepfather is currently at Mayo Clinic. He has coded several times, and has had two heart surgeries. Progress has been up and down, and as of last night went into another downswing, though I've been instructed to stay home for now rather than hit the road again to go out and support my mom and stepfather. Drama has also increased to the home with support issues from my family. I'm trying to accept their decisions for what they are, but it is very disheartening/frustrating/disappointing.

My pain levels are very escalated right now due to a lot of driving and some nights of poor sleep/poor sleeping position. I got home Thursday night and am just trying to get back into something resembling normal. A couple of nights of good sleep have seen me to an improved level, but there is still plenty of improvement to make.

My mental health has been all over the place. In the immediate moment of emergency, I was able to stand in as needed for support for the family, but pushed myself so hard I got to the point where I seriously considered whether or not I needed to check myself in. A medication shift during this time has NOT been helpful either, but I'm getting through well enough now. I don't think the new med is a good match, but will give it a few more days before starting that conversation with my psychiatrist.

I let go of my macros, commitments, and goals during this time. That probably didn't really help me, in hindsight. If I need to go and support again, I will be better preparing so I can loosen up (maintenance-ish kcal levels), but still get what I need at least for protein without going way over. And will hopefully avoid binge eating, which I slipped on as well.

The setback/derailment, fatigue/exhaustion, and all the drama have me at a point where I'm once again at war for every bite, sip, and step. I've moved to daily goals on my newsfeed for better accountability while I'm attempting to get things back in line. Hopefully I will meet/exceed them as needed to meet my goals here.

This derailment, combined with slower-than-anticipated losses in the earlier months, has brought me to the point where I have decided I need to let go of a goal I had set. When I started and forecasted back in September, it seemed as though I would have been able to get out of the 160s by my birthday, which is March 31st. Around the new year, I resigned myself to the likelihood that it would be more like "making it into the 160s" by my birthday. And now? Nope. I'm pretty sure that my weight is pretty close to true right now at 181.2. If I were to make it into the 160s, it would only be due to a combination of water weight and glycogen loss, and that is not something I could celebrate. It is deeply disappointing to acknowledge/accept this.

As much as I want to get 2+ pounds of fat torched each week, I don't think I can mentally handle that. I am trying my best to accept that I might not see much change in the near future and to try to let go of making anything other than daily commitments in that regard. I do want to have my trending numbers solidly in the 170s by the end of the month. Solidly would mean at 179.0 or lower.

If I can get myself back into a groove going forward, I think I'd like to try a special program for maintaining/increasing strength/muscle while focusing on fat loss. This last ten pounds did well in that regard (scan reading showed muscle mass at a small overall increase), but I want to see if I can get things locked in at a good level. If I try it and have anything of note to offer for insight, I will write about it later.

My targets/commitments/goals:
    Current macro targets:

Minimums:
    Protein: 143 grams
    Carbs: 25 grams
    Fat: 45 grams

Fat to include 10 grams EFAs all days

Commitments:

1) Intake: >1,075 kcal/day
    2) Exercise: >=30 minutes, 6 days/week
    3) Single-day deficit limit: 2,500 kcal
    4) Rest day(s): >=1/week (<1,100 kcal deficit)

Goals:

1) Strength training: 2+ days/week
    2) Indoor rowing (**with good form**): 1,000 meters >=3 days/week
    3) Musical instrument practice: >=10 min, 3 days/week
    4) Caloric deficit (50+ kcal under): >=6 days/week

My Stats:

5'1" Female
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242.7
    Original goal: 140 lbs
    Current goal: 21.5% body fat (currently estimated at 140 lbs). Aiming to be at this point by 2020/12/05.

2020 Progress
    2020/01/04: 194.7
    2020/01/11: 192.0
    2020/01/18: 189.4
    2020/01/25: 185.4
    2020/02/01: 184.1
    2020/02/08: 184.3
    2020/02/15: 181.9
    2020/02/22: 182.1
    2020/02/29: 184.7
    2020/03/07: 182.1

2019 Progress
    2019/09/14: 240.7
    2019/09/21: 238.8
    2019/09/28: 234.6
    2019/10/05: 230.8
    2019/10/12: 231.0
    2019/10/19: 226.9
    2019/10/26: 223.8
    2019/11/01: 219.6
    2019/11/09: 215.6
    2019/11/16: 212.7
    2019/11/23: 209.2
    2019/11/30: 203.9
    2019/12/07: 201.3
    2019/12/17: 199.7
    2019/12/21: 196.7
    2019/12/28: 197.3 (Planned maintenance break)

Strength training progress

Squats:
    70 lb 5x5 (2020/02/27)

Overhead Press:
    50 lb (2020/02/27)

Deadlift:
    45 lb (on hold)

Bench Press:
    45 lb (on hold)

Barbell Rows:
    45 lb (on hold)
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @Sweeetypie1- keep your head up you can do this. Remember weight loss isn’t the only benefit 😉
    @pslankys-Welcome. I like this group for most of struggle with the same issues. Great to interact with those who understand.
    @MelodiousMermaid- We all have struggles. You know your self the best but remember you matter too. Family drama usually derails me, so I have distanced myself from it for now.

AFM:
    MN weather has been great!! Me and Riley (dog) walked for 5 hours this weekend. It felt wonderful but my body is feeling it. We did 2 hrs Saturday and 2.5 hrs Sunday.