Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    'only' 20 something cases in Australia so far, 1 death, all but one of whom had direct contact with travel from China or Iran or were repatriated from the Diamond Princess.

Nevertheless hand sanitiser is not available in my regional town because shops have sold out. :o

I have an overseas holiday to UK booked for August - it is to my daughters wedding so just not going probably wouldnt go down well.

and then to river cruise in Europe (after all, nobody would fly from Australia to UK for one weekend)

Have paid a hefty deposit already for cruise/airfares and remainder of money due end of May - dilemma.

am not sure travel insurance will cover if trip is cancelled or reduced ( eg we cant get off to do excursions)

am not worried about any issues on my return - if an outbreak happens where I am after I get there and I have to self quarantine when I get home so be it.( yay for online shopping)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

My sister is in Morrocco right now. They didn't have any confirmed cases, to my knowledge, a week ago. It will probably be fine as long as you take proper precautions at the airport and plane.

1 today. So it started.

Just thought I'd mention that some countries will give you a choice upon arriving--2 weeks quarantine or go home without setting foot off the plane. Some Italian tourists have been quarantined while on vacation, with small children, flights back to Italy cancelled and are begging the government to come and get them. Morrocco is refusing Italian flights or cruises. So, if you're coming from a region that has cases of Corona Virus, check before you leave.

Yeah, people in the U.S. are worried about getting stuck somewhere (like Morocco - if only - ) but as an American I'd be more concerned right now that they won't even let you in Morocco. There aren't many African cases reported - yet...although it looks like Morocco now has one reported case after a traveler returned from Italy. It's probably more that they are behind the eight ball on testing (?) I don't know, maybe someone here from Africa? We're not even doing that great with testing here...With the number of U.S. cases now at over 60, I would think they wouldn't want people from the U.S. in Morocco. It's going to be a very fluid situation for a while.

I saw a video on one of the news stories where every passenger was getting his/her temperature taken as he/she left the gate at the airport. I have no idea where that was.

This is gonna suck for tourism dollars...everywhere. Staycations!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My parents (mid to late 60’s) live on the border of Washington and Idaho, in a college town, next to another college town... my mom’s boss commutes back and forth from Seattle and my mom is doing volunteer work at a hospital... they are going to attempt to sell quarantine...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    As far as preparing, I'm am stocking up on food sufficient for a couple weeks. Just enough in case there were a requirement to self-quarantine at home for a period of time. Not hording anything, but putting a couple extra packs of chicken and fish and frozen vegetables in the freezer, as well as the typical staples eggs, rice, bread, that keep well. There hasn't been any confirmed cases in my area yet, but I don't want to be behind the curve in case people get stupid once a few are reported.

I just listened to Radio Boston with guest Dr. Leonard Marcus, founding Co-Director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative, a collaborative effort of HSPH and the Kennedy School of Government, developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the White House, and the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense.

At the end of the show when asked to pass along one key message, he said, "The key message is: Get prepared to be quarantined... what would you do? Have the procedures, have the food, go through the drill with your friends and family.

Host: And that means food and medications, right?

Lenny: All of your essentials. ...imagine that you will be out of the loop for two weeks and prepare yourself for that eventuality.

That's been my thought process. I'm not dependent on any prescription meds, but they'd be another consideration if I were.

BTW, I have to disagree with you on your assessment of China's handling of the outbreak. Yes, they've been very aggressive in responding once the reports were widespread, but their initial reaction was to suppress reporting on the initial cases and punish the doctors and officials raising the alarm. That initial suppression gave a window for the outbreak get worse, so they went from denying the problem to draconian measures.

One key thing with this type of situation is whether or not people are able to trust in the honesty and competence of the institutions trying to manage it. I'm very worried that containment efforts by the CDC and major medical institutions in the US will be thwarted by people in the government trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation for their own purposes.

You're disagreeing with someone other than me - I've not commented on China's handling of the outbreak :)

I share your concerns about the consequences of people in the US government trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation for their own purposes.

Oops! You're right, I was disagreeing with @Nony_Mouse from page 3. Sincere apologies!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My parents (mid to late 60’s) live on the border of Washington and Idaho, in a college town, next to another college town... my mom’s boss commutes back and forth from Seattle and my mom is doing volunteer work at a hospital... they are going to attempt to sell quarantine...

Pullman and Moscow? I have family in the area.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Pullman and Moscow? I have family in the area.
    You got it! 🏅

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My spouse's company has put a ban on all work travel.

My adult child's company is requiring 14 days away from work after any international travel. (Either work from home or paid leave if your job doesn't allow work from home.)

I would recommend Fairlife shelf stable milk.

I think the 14 days of food, medication, supplies, etc is just a good idea always (probably because I've lived in natural disaster areas), but I haven't done it yet.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    In all seriousness, if the world did run out of toilet paper supplies (which is extremely unlikely), I have plenty of old cloth nappies, flannels etc that can be used instead. Not ideal but certainly not the end of the world. We can survive such conditions.
    I cloth diapered my 4 children, which most people found pretty ick, but it does give you a different mindset on these things! We have plenty of (clean) rags in a bin that could easily be cut up and repurposed if needed...

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I live one county away from where 2 cases were confirmed last night. I'm not worried for myself, but I do worry for my 84 year-old gramma who has had an aortic valve transplant. I went to Walmart this past Saturday and people were going crazy buying water and toiletries. It's frustrating, because it makes it difficult to make regular purchases.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    And to emphasis the importance of disaster preparedness in general, we had a wee earthquake just as I posted that :lol: (which I had to check was a quake because we also have very strong winds atm).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.

I don’t get the stocking up in water for most folks. Since when does a potential quarantine come with a utility shut off?

In some places, tap water is either not safe to drink or doesn't taste good (ours has far too much chlorine - we cook with it but we don't drink it). We buy water in 20 liter water cooler jugs, 5 at a time.

The reason we are personally not stocking up is that we usually buy beans and rice in bulk anyway because they're staples, and right now we're fully stocked. Not to mention we do a lot of freezing and canning, so we have enough food to last us a good while in case we need to self-quarantine. We are also stocked on toilet paper and most essentials already, and we use less TP than the average household because we have a bidet, so we're not going to run out any time soon.