Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

What if they do, after you're already there?

There’s a lot worse places to be stranded.
    @just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.

Canadian labour laws generally tend to be better than the US.

For whoever disagreed with this:

https://www.ela.law/Templates/media/files/Canadian Overview -- Distinctions Between US and Canadian Labor and Employment Law - 9-3-13.pdf
  • jthillk
    jthillk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    jthillk wrote: »
    My family traveled to Oklahoma this weekend to visit other family (military) that was in the states from South Korea temporarily. Once we got to Oklahoma we discovered that virtually the entire city was without water for most of our trip. I feel like the Coronavirus is out to get me.

Is that maybe just a coincidence? I have been places that had temporary water problems and then boil orders when fixed due to a breach in pipes beyond the treatment facility or a problem with the water treatment facility itself. But no water at all was always temporary.

Yes, it's a coincidence that we were without water while I was there, but the city has had issues in the past. The owner of our hotel said they drill for oil and it ruins the pipes and then have water issues. They are sometimes without water for days. It just seems like a bad time to be without water, unable to wash hands, bathe, flush toilets, etc.
  • mpca66
    mpca66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm a bit worried for my parents, as they are in their 70s and it seems to be more of a problem for seniors. We live in the vicinity of UVA and spring break is coming up with lots of students traveling and returning (including international students going home). They've had their flu shots but generally refuse the pneumonia vaccine.

Same. My parents are in their 70's as well and not in the best of health and live a couple of states away. I need to go visit to check on them, but I don't want to be a 'carrier' either. I'm in good health so not too worried, but I will probably pick up a few extra groceries just in case there is a "state of emergency". You never know in the state of CA ~ land of fruits and nuts.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I know we have a lot of posters in the UK, but can't remember who most of you are. @BarbaraHelen2013 what are the public policies over there?

I confess I’ve not been keeping up to date on the issue as it’s my opinion that things such as this tend to be over sensationalised by the media so whilst I know what’s going on it’s something I take with a large pinch of salt!

However, my husband has had a company wide conference week cancelled which was due to be held in Paris. Also, my eldest son and his wife are due to go to Venice on honeymoon later this month and are anxiously awaiting decisions by either U.K. or the Italian governments and/or the travel company.

Here’s the latest speculation based on today’s announcement by the government:

“The government has powers it can use to protect people from infection. Among the measures which could be introduced if there are major outbreaks are:
    ■ School closures. It also hopes to pass new laws to allow bigger class sizes if there are teacher shortages
    ■ Restrictions on the use of public transport
    ■ The stopping of big gatherings
    ■ Troops supporting the emergency services
    ■ Police focusing on the most serious crimes and maintaining public order
    ■ New legal powers to make people stay in quarantine
    A public information campaign will be launched to help people protect themselves. The main focus will be on regular and thorough hand washing.”
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

I agree but my concern's with potentially, being unable to return to work upon time. If/when, there's a travel suspension and/or quarantine. I assume that even though it'd be unfair that they still're at risk of being fired.

The only thing that I know of here's that an employer's unable to fire an employee, for jury duty but 1 did try & got arrested, after the judge noticed that the potential juror was upset.

I tried to parse this and failed, but US laws about jury duty are not germane to the lack of sick leave protections for many US workers.

It was my response to a reply concerning the fairness of an employee facing long term absenteeism beyond their control regardless of why, that's known here by law & that it should extend to protect others, within those unfortunate situations.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    As far as preparing, I'm am stocking up on food sufficient for a couple weeks. Just enough in case there were a requirement to self-quarantine at home for a period of time. Not hording anything, but putting a couple extra packs of chicken and fish and frozen vegetables in the freezer, as well as the typical staples eggs, rice, bread, that keep well. There hasn't been any confirmed cases in my area yet, but I don't want to be behind the curve in case people get stupid once a few are reported.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

The only thing that I know of here's that an employer's unable to fire an employee, for jury duty but 1 did try & got arrested, after the judge noticed that the potential juror was upset.

I tried to parse this and failed, but US laws about jury duty are not germane to the lack of sick leave protections for many US workers.

It was my response to a reply concerning the fairness of an employee facing long term absenteeism beyond their control regardless of why, that's known here by law & that it should extend to protect others, within those unfortunate situations.

Jury duty and sick leave are completely different situations.

The relevance's that both might cause long term absenteeism beyond the control of the employee. If jury duty's considered a necessary protection against firing, it's fair to expect health be also & questionable, as to why it isn't.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I went to the grocery store, I got there by 8AM. It was pretty empty. I should have taken a pic of the guy with the sterile gloves, face mask and large cart full of bottled water, Clorox wipes, packaged pizza and soda. I mean. Okay. Whatever.

There was one pallet of TP. The store employees said it was empty yesterday along with bottled water and other staples. The store has people who do shopping for delivery and pickup and those people were working hard. One of them said they are slammed. I can imagine. No one sneezed or coughed that I noticed, the checkout lady was wearing sterile gloves.

It was interesting to me that I had to fight the urge to double-buy certain staples that I don't really need.

I worry about the fact we use our own reusable shopping bags these days due to recycling laws...I can see that as a problem, sanitation-wise.

I'm glad I was in and out early, in Washington we are already using social distancing. Not mandated - they aren't cancelling mass spectator events yet, but just a suggestion with which I don't mind agreeing.

Oh wait, I do that all the time! "Social distancing," I like that there is a term for it.

I happened to have forgotten to bring in my reuseable bags yesterday - hadn't thought about those from a hygiene standpoint.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    As far as preparing, I'm am stocking up on food sufficient for a couple weeks. Just enough in case there were a requirement to self-quarantine at home for a period of time. Not hording anything, but putting a couple extra packs of chicken and fish and frozen vegetables in the freezer, as well as the typical staples eggs, rice, bread, that keep well. There hasn't been any confirmed cases in my area yet, but I don't want to be behind the curve in case people get stupid once a few are reported.

I tend to keep extra stuff around anyway, just in case I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store one week, I have plenty. I did pick up a few extra canned goods this last trip, but I can typically last about a month on what I have around the house. It won't be anything fancy, but if you're hungry enough anything will do. Although I do suddenly have a craving for some homemade rice pudding.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

The relevance's that both might cause long term absenteeism beyond the control of the employee. If jury duty's considered a necessary protection against firing, it's fair to expect health be also & questionable, as to why it isn't.

It's likely because jury duty has traditionally been seen as a citizen's duty to the state, while illness is a private matter.

Illnesses that aren't dangerously contagious're private matters but when the government has to intervene, that's a public matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

If a company has more than 50 employees, they also have to follow FMLA, which would protect workers from being fired in the event of a long term absence due to illness or taking care of a family member with illness. My work also provides short term disability as a provided benefit and long term disability if you buy in.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I just listened to Radio Boston with guest Dr. Leonard Marcus, founding Co-Director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative, a collaborative effort of HSPH and the Kennedy School of Government, developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the White House, and the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense.

At the end of the show when asked to pass along one key message, he said, "The key message is: Get prepared to be quarantined... what would you do? Have the procedures, have the food, go through the drill with your friends and family.

Host: And that means food and medications, right?

Lenny: All of your essentials. ...imagine that you will be out of the loop for two weeks and prepare yourself for that eventuality.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options

@just_Tomek Enjoy!

My comment about the labour laws was made because the person you were referring to is Canadian (according to his profile), he isn't likely facing unemployment should he be quarantined in another country. I took 2.5 weeks off work this year with pneumonia and didn't need to worry about being fired. Your stated worry of someone being fired because they may be quarantined in another country while on vacation is specific to where you are living. My only point was that, many countries protect employees in a way that this wouldn't be a worry for them.

I understood that, that's why I put "here's" within my comment to differentiate them.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I tend to keep extra stuff around anyway, just in case I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store one week, I have plenty. I did pick up a few extra canned goods this last trip, but I can typically last about a month on what I have around the house. It won't be anything fancy, but if you're hungry enough anything will do. Although I do suddenly have a craving for some homemade rice pudding.

I am never out of the ingredients needed for homemade rice pudding :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My family traveled to Oklahoma this weekend to visit other family (military) that was in the states from South Korea temporarily. Once we got to Oklahoma we discovered that virtually the entire city was without water for most of our trip. I feel like the Coronavirus is out to get me.

@jthillk why no water?

The city we were in apparently has a recurring problem with broken pipes, water leaks, low pressure, etc.

What a sorry state of affairs. It's not like the USA is poor nation. It's that dependable potable running water, in some places, is not a priority. Evidently, in this town, fracking is. SMH. And you're right, all the hand washing admonitions are a little difficult to do without water, so the juxtaposition is timely.

I have 3 kids in 2 colleges. Both schools ended their study abroad semesters in places with outbreaks and brought back those study abroad students last week. One kid is on spring break this week. The other 2 tell me some instructors are accelerating classes in case of disruption, and one course went online because the instructor's doctors advised him to stay away from campus. It's nowhere near the same as having to work sick or lose pay, but students also have motivation to go to class sick. Some classes move pretty quickly with pretty challenging material, and very few can afford to drop a class they've already paid for, especially if it is on the student's major track.