Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I was just reading a gaming subreddit and they were talking about the virus. Someone from Australia mentioned that they have a toilet paper crisis. It's almost like stampedes when they're in stock, and a shopper even pulled out a knife on another over a TP roll.

I found that funny and sad at the same time. I know covering things up and not reporting cases doesn't end well, but all the media coverage is causing overblown mass hysteria. I wonder if this needs to be handled better.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As others have said I am not concerned about the virus I am concerned about the reaction to the virus. I have a disaster preparedness kit. I have a pantry and a freezer. I could easily go a a couple of months on food... it would get pretty boring but we would not starve. I think I could manage 3 week on hygienic items right now. This is really all without buying anything more although I did place a Prime Pantry order for a little more TP, and toothpaste. I was already at a place where I needed more dog food.

I am not cancelling any of our plans including an upcoming cruise. I do not allow myself to be impacted (at least greatly impacted) by the 24 hour news cycle. It is a money making venture and the appeal to emotion fear is good for business.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The response right now doesn't make any sense. One confirmed case is resulting in shutting down a school or workplace, yet those with mild symptoms may not be tested at all (rightfully so, I think). Short of a full-on shutdown of the country, which isn't going to happen, it's going to spread and it won't be a concern for most. So it would seem to make sense to focus efforts on the most vulnerable.

*Edited to remove a reference to CDC guidelines, which I discovered have just changed.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    The response right now doesn't make any sense. One confirmed case is resulting in shutting down a school or workplace, yet the CDC guideline is to only test those requiring hospitalization (rightfully so, I think). Short of a full-on shutdown of the country, which isn't going to happen, it's going to spread and it won't be a concern for most. So it would seem to make sense to focus efforts on the most vulnerable.

Ideally there would always be a high focus of efforts on the most vulnerable.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    As others have said I am not concerned about the virus I am concerned about the reaction to the virus. I have a disaster preparedness kit. I have a pantry and a freezer. I could easily go a a couple of months on food... it would get pretty boring but we would not starve. I think I could manage 3 week on hygienic items right now. This is really all without buying anything more although I did place a Prime Pantry order for a little more TP, and toothpaste. I was already at a place where I needed more dog food.

I am not cancelling any of our plans including an upcoming cruise. I do not allow myself to be impacted (at least greatly impacted) by the 24 hour news cycle. It is a money making venture and the appeal to emotion fear is good for business.

I refuse to sit around in fear and panic as well. The virus has been in the US since almost the start. The thing is, since it is flu season and we were not looking for it, illnesses and even deaths were most likely written off as flu and pneumonia. I know of people who were sick, went to be looked at, had very distinct Coronavirus symptoms, but were not tested because they hadn't been to China or around someone who had been. There are a bunch of stories like that.

Will I buy a couple things this week that I maybe would have held off on for another week or so? Sure. Honestly, when you have medical issues that often result in increase bathroom usage, there is never such a thing as too much toilet paper. But I am not going to start hoarding canned food and other supplies. That is just a silly over reaction.

Now, I do have few concerns. (1) is the fact that I pretty much always have a cough and chest congestion due to year round allergies. So I worry that people will treat me horribly even though I am not sick. (2) I am allergic to the majority of soaps that are used in public restrooms. As in, my hands will blister and I will get open sores. So I CAN'T use that soap! Often what I have to do is wash my hands under warm/hot water. I scrub for a longer period of time then most people who do use the soap. Then I will use a safe hand sanitize. Sorry all. It's the best I can do because open wounds on my hands is just asking for OTHER infections. (3) Medications. Some medications can not be refilled ahead of time. If I can't go to the pharmacy and get my refill then I am in danger of withdrawl symptoms that can be dangerous (anti depression and anxiety meds). I wish I could "stock up" in case... but I can't. It's not allowed.
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    The response right now doesn't make any sense. One confirmed case is resulting in shutting down a school or workplace, yet the CDC guideline is to only test those requiring hospitalization (rightfully so, I think). Short of a full-on shutdown of the country, which isn't going to happen, it's going to spread and it won't be a concern for most. So it would seem to make sense to focus efforts on the most vulnerable.

This morning they are saying (federal) that everyone can get tested but they need their doctor's recommendation. No hospitalization required.

Just saw that myself and came back to edit :)
  • try2again
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »

(3) Medications. Some medications can not be refilled ahead of time. If I can't go to the pharmacy and get my refill then I am in danger of withdrawl symptoms that can be dangerous (anti depression and anxiety meds). I wish I could "stock up" in case... but I can't. It's not allowed.

I've thought about this too. What do people do who can't "get an advance" on their meds whether due to insurance or other reasons?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    So, since I am at Ground Zero here in north Seattle, two miles from the nursing home deaths and I'm in my mid-sixties, I've been reading all kinds of stuff on the WHO and CDC websites.

One of the questions I had was why do our immune systems get weaker as we get older and in a related question what can I do to fight that. Turns out it's all the things we talk about already on this site:

1. Eat well. A varied diet of lots of fruits and vegetables along with varied sources of protein, grains, nuts, legumes.
    2. Get enough sleep.
    3. Exercise
    4. Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight causes inflammation which over-works the immune system and can lead to other problems such as diabetes and circulatory illness which makes any viral attack much more dangerous.
    ..and then the obvious: Don't smoke. Drink alcohol moderately.

Well, then my 82 yo mom is in good shape :)

Fingers crossed for those who are not or who have loved ones at risk.
  • NovusDies
    edited March 2020
    Options

I refuse to sit around in fear and panic as well. The virus has been in the US since almost the start. The thing is, since it is flu season and we were not looking for it, illnesses and even deaths were most likely written off as flu and pneumonia. I know of people who were sick, went to be looked at, had very distinct Coronavirus symptoms, but were not tested because they hadn't been to China or around someone who had been. There are a bunch of stories like that.

Will I buy a couple things this week that I maybe would have held off on for another week or so? Sure. Honestly, when you have medical issues that often result in increase bathroom usage, there is never such a thing as too much toilet paper. But I am not going to start hoarding canned food and other supplies. That is just a silly over reaction.

Now, I do have few concerns. (1) is the fact that I pretty much always have a cough and chest congestion due to year round allergies. So I worry that people will treat me horribly even though I am not sick. (2) I am allergic to the majority of soaps that are used in public restrooms. As in, my hands will blister and I will get open sores. So I CAN'T use that soap! Often what I have to do is wash my hands under warm/hot water. I scrub for a longer period of time then most people who do use the soap. Then I will use a safe hand sanitize. Sorry all. It's the best I can do because open wounds on my hands is just asking for OTHER infections. (3) Medications. Some medications can not be refilled ahead of time. If I can't go to the pharmacy and get my refill then I am in danger of withdrawl symptoms that can be dangerous (anti depression and anxiety meds). I wish I could "stock up" in case... but I can't. It's not allowed.

You can get medications delivered to you these days. If not, if your pharmacy has a drive-thru that keeps you safely away from anyone and you take precautions then I don't see why you shouldn't just do that. What a lot of people are missing is that you will not have an armed guard in front of your home enforcing a quarantine. It will be voluntary. If it gets bad enough there will be ways to get medication or guidelines to follow if you need to go out and get it.

That all assumes that you or someone in your house gets sick.
  • try2again
    edited March 2020
    Options

You can get medications delivered to you these days. If not, if your pharmacy has a drive-thru that keeps you safely away from anyone and you take precautions then I don't see why you shouldn't just do that. What a lot of people are missing is that you will not have an armed guard in front of your home enforcing a quarantine. It will be voluntary. If it gets bad enough there will be ways to get medication or guidelines to follow if you need to go out and get it.

That all assumes that you or someone in your house gets sick.

These are all good points. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of businesses being shut down or the supply chain interrupted. As part of the guidance I have seen, they do mention keeping a supply of medication on hand, which is what prompted me to wonder about the whole thing.

BTW, my personality is such that I can worry about virtually anything, but I'm actually not too concerned about this, except for those in my life who are part of the high-risk population.

Edited to add: There is also the element that, in our case, we live in a rural area with only 1 pharmacy in a 30 mile or so radius, and I'm sure we are not alone in that.