Coronavirus prep

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I mean this is almost the same as the threat of a snowstorm in my town every time they clear the shelves and then no snow people shop like it’s apocalypse or something
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    As far as preparing, I'm am stocking up on food sufficient for a couple weeks. Just enough in case there were a requirement to self-quarantine at home for a period of time. Not hording anything, but putting a couple extra packs of chicken and fish and frozen vegetables in the freezer, as well as the typical staples eggs, rice, bread, that keep well. There hasn't been any confirmed cases in my area yet, but I don't want to be behind the curve in case people get stupid once a few are reported.

I just listened to Radio Boston with guest Dr. Leonard Marcus, founding Co-Director of the National Preparedness Leadership Initiative, a collaborative effort of HSPH and the Kennedy School of Government, developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the White House, and the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense.

At the end of the show when asked to pass along one key message, he said, "The key message is: Get prepared to be quarantined... what would you do? Have the procedures, have the food, go through the drill with your friends and family.

Host: And that means food and medications, right?

Lenny: All of your essentials. ...imagine that you will be out of the loop for two weeks and prepare yourself for that eventuality.

That's been my thought process. I'm not dependent on any prescription meds, but they'd be another consideration if I were.

BTW, I have to disagree with you on your assessment of China's handling of the outbreak. Yes, they've been very aggressive in responding once the reports were widespread, but their initial reaction was to suppress reporting on the initial cases and punish the doctors and officials raising the alarm. That initial suppression gave a window for the outbreak get worse, so they went from denying the problem to draconian measures.

One key thing with this type of situation is whether or not people are able to trust in the honesty and competence of the institutions trying to manage it. I'm very worried that containment efforts by the CDC and major medical institutions in the US will be thwarted by people in the government trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation for their own purposes.

You're disagreeing with someone other than me - I've not commented on China's handling of the outbreak :)

I share your concerns about the consequences of people in the US government trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation for their own purposes.

The Chinese government tried to downplay it, as did the Italian government--- that's why they're both in big trouble. Downplaying will not work. As for tourism, Italy is in a crisis. The economy is based on tourism and everyone is cancelling. A funny note: a noted chinese restaurant in our area is closing for two months. The owner said that after the initial drop in customers, business was picking up but the employees asked for closure because they're afraid of the Corona Virus. Some are going back to China.

I despair for my country.

For those missing context, people are/were avoiding Chinese restaurants in America because they thought they could get Coronavirus from Chinese food. As Seth Meyers said, you can't even get Chinese food at Chinese restaurants in America.

Me too, and with very good reason.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

From The Mandalorian.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

No..it is yoda as a baby.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Yoda had a baby?

I am SO out of the loop.

From The Mandalorian.

Yes, well I just had to Google baby Yoda. Didn't see Mandalorian.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

My sister is in Morrocco right now. They didn't have any confirmed cases, to my knowledge, a week ago. It will probably be fine as long as you take proper precautions at the airport and plane.

1 today. So it started.

Just thought I'd mention that some countries will give you a choice upon arriving--2 weeks quarantine or go home without setting foot off the plane. Some Italian tourists have been quarantined while on vacation, with small children, flights back to Italy cancelled and are begging the government to come and get them. Morrocco is refusing Italian flights or cruises. So, if you're coming from a region that has cases of Corona Virus, check before you leave.

In Toronto we now have 20. All came from China, Italy or Iran.

Ours originally came from China, but now it's all over and coming from anywhere. There can be no symptoms for a month. That's scary.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Likely a case in Pennsylvania now.

I'm not that worried about coronavirus. Unless you have a weakened immune system or are elderly, its unlikely to affect you any worse than the flu. That being said, I do work in a school and I have stocked up on some extra hand sanitizer and clorax wipes.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I'm not worried about myself (It's not even reported in my province yet). The only one I worry about, would be my dad. He is 72 and suffers from a lung condition.