Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    :lol:

I had to remind myself at the grocery yesterday that I still live alone and I still don't need the big bag of pinto beans nor five pounds of rice.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I had to remind myself at the grocery yesterday that I still live alone and I still don't need the big bag of pinto beans nor five pounds of rice.

I tend to make huge batches of beans for later consumption so we usually have 3-4 pounds of them anyway. Neither of us spend many calories on rice so having an abundant supply of it would be potentially wasteful. I was going to order a couple of extra boxes of stock but the hoarders wiped Amazon out on it. My whole PP order was maybe 6 things. I need to go to costco for some more fish but I won't be stocking up on anything else... EXCEPT ARTICHOKE HEARTS!! I NEED ALL OF THEM!
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    *Keep extra pet food on hand*

Always a good idea to stock up on shelf stable food just in case, been through shelves being empty due to tornados or ice storms before--don't forget your pets need to eat too! I try to keep 60 days of dog food, cat food and chicken feed. Probably too much, but I can always share with friends, family and shelters if necessary.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I AM PANICKED NOW!

I just pulled the last can of artichoke hearts from my cupboard. How did I let this get so low?

I will trade TP or ammo for artichoke hearts. Who wants to barter?

Hopefully the hoarders left some at the store.

Is there anyone (other than you apparently ;) ) hoarding artichoke hearts?

Nah... forget I asked that. :D

I have six steam bags of artichoke hearts in the freezer, does that count?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    As others have said I am not concerned about the virus I am concerned about the reaction to the virus. I have a disaster preparedness kit. I have a pantry and a freezer. I could easily go a a couple of months on food... it would get pretty boring but we would not starve. I think I could manage 3 week on hygienic items right now. This is really all without buying anything more although I did place a Prime Pantry order for a little more TP, and toothpaste. I was already at a place where I needed more dog food.

I am not cancelling any of our plans including an upcoming cruise. I do not allow myself to be impacted (at least greatly impacted) by the 24 hour news cycle. It is a money making venture and the appeal to emotion fear is good for business.

I refuse to sit around in fear and panic as well. The virus has been in the US since almost the start. The thing is, since it is flu season and we were not looking for it, illnesses and even deaths were most likely written off as flu and pneumonia. I know of people who were sick, went to be looked at, had very distinct Coronavirus symptoms, but were not tested because they hadn't been to China or around someone who had been. There are a bunch of stories like that.

Will I buy a couple things this week that I maybe would have held off on for another week or so? Sure. Honestly, when you have medical issues that often result in increase bathroom usage, there is never such a thing as too much toilet paper. But I am not going to start hoarding canned food and other supplies. That is just a silly over reaction.

Now, I do have few concerns. (1) is the fact that I pretty much always have a cough and chest congestion due to year round allergies. So I worry that people will treat me horribly even though I am not sick. (2) I am allergic to the majority of soaps that are used in public restrooms. As in, my hands will blister and I will get open sores. So I CAN'T use that soap! Often what I have to do is wash my hands under warm/hot water. I scrub for a longer period of time then most people who do use the soap. Then I will use a safe hand sanitize. Sorry all. It's the best I can do because open wounds on my hands is just asking for OTHER infections. (3) Medications. Some medications can not be refilled ahead of time. If I can't go to the pharmacy and get my refill then I am in danger of withdrawl symptoms that can be dangerous (anti depression and anxiety meds). I wish I could "stock up" in case... but I can't. It's not allowed.

You can get medications delivered to you these days. If not, if your pharmacy has a drive-thru that keeps you safely away from anyone and you take precautions then I don't see why you shouldn't just do that. What a lot of people are missing is that you will not have an armed guard in front of your home enforcing a quarantine. It will be voluntary. If it gets bad enough there will be ways to get medication or guidelines to follow if you need to go out and get it.

That all assumes that you or someone in your house gets sick.

These are all good points. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of businesses being shut down or the supply chain interrupted. As part of the guidance I have seen, they do mention keeping a supply of medication on hand, which is what prompted me to wonder about the whole thing.

BTW, my personality is such that I can worry about virtually anything, but I'm actually not too concerned about this, except for those in my life who are part of the high-risk population.

Edited to add: There is also the element that, in our case, we live in a rural area with only 1 pharmacy in a 30 mile or so radius, and I'm sure we are not alone in that.

I would suspect the concern re prescriptions is first a supply chain disruption and second, as your ETA suggested, not everyone lives somewhere with a drive thru pharmacy or an order by mail option covered by their prescription plan. I know more than one person whose only option is one drug store chain, and they still can barely afford it so they wait until the last second or sometimes risk going without for a few days until they get paid. Folks like that should really be considered as part of the vulnerable population. Not that they are more likely to get sick from the virus, but they are more likely to be caught unprepared without options they can afford.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I tend to make huge batches of beans for later consumption so we usually have 3-4 pounds of them anyway. Neither of us spend many calories on rice so having an abundant supply of it would be potentially wasteful. I was going to order a couple of extra boxes of stock but the hoarders wiped Amazon out on it. My whole PP order was maybe 6 things. I need to go to costco for some more fish but I won't be stocking up on anything else... EXCEPT ARTICHOKE HEARTS!! I NEED ALL OF THEM!

We eat rice so often that we buy it in 5 kg (11 lb) bags.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    News: Italy has just ordered it's schools closed until March 15th.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I AM PANICKED NOW!

I just pulled the last can of artichoke hearts from my cupboard. How did I let this get so low?

I will trade TP or ammo for artichoke hearts. Who wants to barter?

Hopefully the hoarders left some at the store.

Is there anyone (other than you apparently ;) ) hoarding artichoke hearts?

Nah... forget I asked that. :D

I have six steam bags of artichoke hearts in the freezer, does that count?

I just drilled your identity and stole them all. Sorry not sorry.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I received this from a kid's youth sports organization:

Practice frequent and meticulous hand-washing with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
    Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
    Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and/or sneezing with a tissue or flexed elbow
    Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
    Quarantine anyone who is sick (players, coaches, parents, roommates)
    Ensure safe food sources; thoroughly cook meat and eggs
    Handshake lines after games should include fist bumps with gloves on
    Use individual water bottles; do not share them
    Towels should not be shared in any way

My question is: why isn't this the way we all live our lives every day, with or without a pandemic scare? Once this scare has passed, do people just go "whew, now I can stop washing my hands, can go out in public when I have illness symptoms, can share water bottles, eat unthoroughly cooked meat and eggs, etc.?" Lol
    Exactly!

I remember overhearing a couple of girls in the bathroom at a basketball game - 8-10 year old range. One commented “why do I have to wash my hands? They are just going to get dirty again!” Definitely a disconnect going on there, and likely a lack of basic education (basic health and sanitation likely isn’t on any standardized tests). Oh the cringey germ stories from basketball! We enjoy the season, but I dread it at the same time!

I blame shows like CSI for my borderline germaphobe tendencies - I can almost visualize the transfer of germs the way they would show transfer of various things by a color glowing on hands and surfaces (hard to explain).