Flavors of Childhood?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Bags of bulk candy from the bins at the grocery store. That was such a treat. Especially before going to the movies We’d go and get bags of cheap bulk candy.

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg

This was so not my experience...my mom would bring treats in her bag😪

We didn't have bulk candy like that in our grocery stores but we had a bulk candy store in the mall and it was VERY expensive. Like four or five individual Haribo peaches would be a dollar (in 1989!)...forget about anything caramel or chocolate, we couldn't afford it. So my friends and I would walk to grocery stores or dollar shops to get candy to sneak into the theater.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    p5roy0mscq0w.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Bags of bulk candy from the bins at the grocery store. That was such a treat. Especially before going to the movies We’d go and get bags of cheap bulk candy.

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg

We didn't have bulk candy like that in our grocery stores but we had a bulk candy store in the mall and it was VERY expensive. Like four or five individual Haribo peaches would be a dollar (in 1989!)...forget about anything caramel or chocolate, we couldn't afford it. So my friends and I would walk to grocery stores or dollar shops to get candy to sneak into the theater.

We'd always get icees and sour gummy worms at the theater haha
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg

We'd always get icees and sour gummy worms at the theater haha

x1fwp84oe0mu.jpeg

We never got theatre candy because it was too expensive. The bulk candy bins at the store were super cheap and we had a penny candy store which was just tons of bulk bins!

Mom also would pop 2 bags of popcorn and put under the front of her jacket pretending she was just pregnant 😅
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Anybody mentioned cream cheese on Ritz crackers yet?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Homemade snow cones and ice cream

7lhdplgpimkv.png
    pxwqrxs6t8jq.png
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

pretty sure I did! Haha and cream cheese with pretzels
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    x6jsr3qpgmaf.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Homemade snow cones and ice cream

7lhdplgpimkv.png
    pxwqrxs6t8jq.png
    OMG YES I HAD ONE OF THESE SNOOPY ONES! also had one of these...n0y0csp4myix.jpeg
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    oef1w8qcd2s9.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    oef1w8qcd2s9.png

This!

We get McDonalds occasionally when on a road trip or busy weekends with the kids, although mine prefer other FF joints. I usually go for a McDouble or Grilled chicken in those instances. However, any time I return from international trips, especially if I fly through O'Hare as I often do, I stop at McDonalds and get a 6 pack of chicken nuggets with honey, small fries and a fountain diet coke. It tastes like my American childhood.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    dgodhrmp4ftd.png
    This was my thing...I loved that stupid thing!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

With jalepeno jelly!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember "icebox Napoleon" type desserts? Mostly graham crackers & pudding, layered together & refrigerated or frozen...I barely remember this but I really liked it!

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    oef1w8qcd2s9.png

This!

We get McDonalds occasionally when on a road trip or busy weekends with the kids, although mine prefer other FF joints. I usually go for a McDouble or Grilled chicken in those instances. However, any time I return from international trips, especially if I fly through O'Hare as I often do, I stop at McDonalds and get a 6 pack of chicken nuggets with honey, small fries and a fountain diet coke. It tastes like my American childhood.

I can't resist McDonald's when I go through O'Hare. That good nostalgic smells just waft through the terminal. Fortunately, I don't fly often, but I almost always connect in O'Hare so I gotta get me some McDonalds.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Here's another place we didn't go to often, but when we did---THE ANSWER WAS YES!

Jack in The Box menu from the 60's:

JBX_Menu_board_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d7692ccc373d56e40cf708e3fa67d9af9d

What Jack in The box looked like in the late 60's early 1970's
    deliveryService?max=800&id=https%3A%2F%2Famericanhistory.si.edu%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2F1838_06.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    oef1w8qcd2s9.png

This!

I can't resist McDonald's when I go through O'Hare. That good nostalgic smells just waft through the terminal. Fortunately, I don't fly often, but I almost always connect in O'Hare so I gotta get me some McDonalds.

I love roadtrips because we stop at McDonald's early in the morning for hashbrowns, mcmuffins and coffee lol
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    f5pqtmp7llhh.png
    Did anyone do A&W drive in meals? The servers were all on rollerskates.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Here's another place we didn't go to often, but when we did---THE ANSWER WAS YES!

Jack in The Box menu from the 60's:

JBX_Menu_board_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d7692ccc373d56e40cf708e3fa67d9af9d

What Jack in The box looked like in the late 60's early 1970's
    deliveryService?max=800&id=https%3A%2F%2Famericanhistory.si.edu%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2F1838_06.jpg

To heck with the food, I want those prices!!! :)
  • ctimewiz
    ctimewiz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow