WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• cathys01
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Just marking my spot. I will be back later. Thanks, Barbie for the new thread. I will be back - so many posts to catch up on .....

Love, Cathy
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Mimi, you made me laugh when you said "At least I don't have to worry about being pregnant!" Wish I could say the same thing! On top of dealing with mom and eating candy and cheesecake, I had to go down to the doctor to test if I was pregnant!:noway: (Period was very, very late) Thank goodness I wasn't. I had her check for everything including sexually transmitted diseases, (also nothing). My mind just goes crazy with possiblities and what if's.

I also thought it was cute you saying you were concious of your eating vs being unconcious! I just imagined you lying there unconcious and little treats and goodies with tiny feet marching into your open mouth. (Not to insinuate that you snore! Just a visualization.:wink: ) I would weigh a ton if I was asleep and tiny candy bars were jumping in every night!:happy:

Okay enough goofiness. You just made me laugh. The way things have been I need a laugh wherever I can find one. Take care. Happy logging and holiday!
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I`m back .Been busy with the move.Got sick -asthma crisis.Been sick for 2 weeks.Know the dr says sinus infection.
    I told him to get me better so I can get back to walking or any ex.
    I haven`t unpacked much.Feel lousy most of the time.
    Am excited about our temp home.I love the town.People very friendly.Daughter loves school.Hubby is adjusting to some new meds.
    Am happy about the move.Found out our house has toxic mold and the brand new roof is leaking.We left at a good time.
    Will try to be better.Had issues with computers etc.
    Glad to be apart of this great group.
    Good night
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    HI!I`m back .Been busy with the move.Got sick -asthma crisis.Been sick for 2 weeks.Know the dr says sinus infection.
    I told him to get me better so I can get back to walking or any ex.
    I haven`t unpacked much.Feel lousy most of the time.
    Am excited about our temp home.I love the town.People very friendly.Daughter loves school.Hubby is adjusting to some new meds.
    Am happy about the move.Found out our house has toxic mold and the brand new roof is leaking.We left at a good time.
    Will try to be better.Had issues with computers etc.
    Glad to be apart of this great group.
    Good night
    jane

Jane, I was thinking about you today and if you hadn't posted, I would have sent you a message. i have missed your positive attitude and upbeat message and your message today was inspiring to me.......you see the best in the situation you are in, and find things to be grateful for.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: our calendar page for the month says "Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you":bigsmile: :bigsmile: you seem to embody that outlook on life. :bigsmile:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just read your post everyone is so positive. I could use the postive feed back. Sometimes I get to down on myself for not meeting my goals for the day or week. Been at this since 1/11. Just happy weight is slowly going down.

Joyce

SW-206
    CW-175
    GW-145
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Julia - there's ALWAYS room for one or two or three more -- ALWAYS. Just jump right on in! Honestly, I many times don't eat my workout calories. I really don't add them in. That seems to work for me. So I would say that at least for me, nothing will happen if you don't eat them back. Now there are some people who feel that you absolutely MUST eat them back. I don't even know what they are, I just exercise and if I'm over I figure that'll help compensate. I do try to watch my sodium

Faye - thanks for telling me not to worry if the pinkish-ness lasted as much as two days. It seems to be gone now. Those beets were so sweet, too! I like sweet veges. I know there's a variety of beets that are orange, guess I'll have to stick to them. Don't want to have another heartattack early in the a.m.....lol So sorry about your sinuses. Isn't a sinus headache the pits? I used to get them really bad when we lived in PA, but I don't seem to get them as badly here in NC. As a matter of fact, remember when I realized that the sinus medication I had was expired (I guess this was about a year or so ago)? I usually take Sudafed. It says on the box "may cause drowsiness" but for me it does the exact opposite. I take one and then I get cold, then hot, and I'm awake at 3a.m. Take care, and remember that this too shall pass.

Jessica came here last night. I did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill and then played mahjongg (I maj'd once!). When I got home she wanted to go to a winery. I'm not a real big wine drinker, but that's just me, but I did go with her. Got a bottle of wine which I will probably take to her place for Thanksgiving. Tonight we're going to this movie place that's $2.50 (they recently increased from $2) to see Bridesmaids. I really want to see it and there's no way Vince will go so I'm taking Jessica. If I really like it, I may ask Lynette to go another day.

Tried something new last night and it seemed to help. I made up a big salad, crookneck squash, okra, tomato, radish, egg white. I couldn't finish it with dinner but left it on the counter and munched on it all night. Was better than munching on cookies, that's for sure.

Oh, we're having our neighbor and the people next door to them who just moved in over for a cookout next weekend. I have some beef tenderloin steaks that I want to finish up, I'm planning to make some terriyaki chicken, I have some corn on the cob in the freezer, I figure I'll buy some potatoes and sweet potatoes. Does anyone else have a suggestion as to something veggie-oriented to have? I'd really prefer to have something that I can make ahead of time.

When Vince had the tibial plateau fracture and the physical therapist came into his hosp. room, he screamed so much but all they did was close the door to his room. But in the end, it was worth it.

Bryan just called. The calls kept getting dropped. We're sure he's asking for money because he was very insistent that he'd call (not email) us later tonight or tomorrow. Honestly, I'm not crazy about lending him a lot of money. Mainly because I think it was a bit foolish on his part to just go to France and figure when he got there he'd get an apt. He should have had that lined up. To me, he made his bed now he should lie in it. What does he think we are -- money bags???? He's really adoped a Western European attitude -- very casual, doesn't seem to be accountable (apologies to anyone from Western Europe. I know that this isn't everyone, but I'm concerned about the fact that he seems to feel "oh, the government will take care of me". Well, let the government find him an apartment! Sorry to vent)

Mary - have a wonderful evening.

mimi - oh you have no idea how much I miss that good feeling when all I craved was veges. The worst part is that most restaurants skimp on the veges. There wasn't a recipe for the spinach salad, had that when we went out to lunch with the Newcomers. Basically, there was spinach, egg white (I took the yolks out, for some reason I just don'e like hard boiled egg yolks), tomato, cukes, peppers, carrots, grilled shrimp, there might have been other things that I've forgotten. I asked them to leave off the cheese, the croutons, the bacon bits, and put the salad dressing on the side. I wasn't too crazy about the salad dressing, so I'm doubly glad that I asked it be on the side.

Tomorrow I'll go to the farmer's market and then to yoga.

barbie - especially like the "welcome" on the front page. That really brightens my day. Thanks

Went with Jessica to see Bridesmaids. It was a funny movie. I popped a bag of the 100 calorie popcorn and took that, took the carrots I'd measured out, took a 24oz bottle of water which I didn't drink and 1/2 cup of grapes which I didn't eat. Tomorrow we'll probably go to the Humane Society. I want to introduce Jessica to Shelby, IF she's still there. She's the cat that was thrown out of a car window and there was so much nerve damage that they had to amputate her right front leg. But she's SOOO sweet. I also was Jessica to meet Wallaby. He's a dog whose hind legs never developed so when he walks he draws his hind legs up and walks on his front legs.

I doubt Lynette will go to see Bridesmaids with me. Seems they only show it at 9:30 at night, Jessica and I didn't get home until midnight. Lynette will have to work the next day.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello ladies, I'm alive and well. Having a rough go at it again, but willing to get to the drawing board again. Stress has been the culpret of my weight and water retention is a sign of stress.

We have a new yellow lab..Ben.. and he is full of energy. Ben has a home with all kinds of furry friends that have received him well. However they would appreciate if he would leave their tails alone.

I'll catch you ladies later and hopefully have some answers to my problem or at least another plan.

Take care.

Marilyn
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: A Sweet September Bump!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • grabbit97
    Options
    We here in the midwest have had nothing but great weather, and for the next week, 70 and sun, NOW, that is my kind of weather..
    I can get out and exercise this new knee, walking is the best exercise there is..
    I had Pad Thai last night, scale was up a bit, but it will go back down, it was yummy, and lettuce wraps (chicken)...
    Drank water, will drink lots more today.
    Have a great weekend.
    Natalie
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I'm heading down to Pasadena with my mom for a 3-day visit with my DD and one of the bridesmaids who was in my mom's wedding, then continuing to Irvine where we'll stay with another one of the gals who was in her wedding. Still another will come up on the train to join us for lunch. It's pretty wonderful that, at 85, she can still get together with some of the women who were in her wedding. I can only hope. At least now I'll have a chance at it.

My weight/eating crisis maxed out at just the right time. I have my trusty little notebook and will take it with me to jot down what I'm eating when I'm out and about. I hope to get back on MFP each day but if I cant, just know that I AM STAYING ON TRACK! :happy:

Thanks to all of you for your support. It makes a huge difference. For everyone who, like me, did a some wandering this summer, we can do this. We ARE doing this! To everyone who stuck to the plan, you are our inspiration. Thank goodness we are all able to inspire each other from time to time.

:heart:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Going out to a double birthday cookout with tons of great food! :tongue: I got weighed this morning and have gained 2 pounds.:embarassed: It's a red flag to be careful today, so I'm commiting a day of good choices and no absent minded picking. :flowerforyou: :drinker: 2 pounds is not much (actually it's 3 from my lowest weight):ohwell: but just as we lose it one pound at a time:happy: .....we can gain it back the same way. :noway: I'm wearing my most fitted pants to keep me in check.:laugh: Now that's a change!!:wink: Before I'd look for some nice comfy stretched out pants LOL So even when we see a red flag....we need to keep reminding ourselves where we came from and just how much our lives....on a whole....have changed for the better!!! Have a great day ladies!!!!
    BirdieM:heart::drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat to you all.
    Birdie good luck with the double b/days.Double whammy.
    Mimi-Have a good time with mom
    Natalie-glad to see you are walking and getting around.Enjoy your walks.
    Hugs to you all.
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    I'm trying soooo hard to get back on track. Tonight we went out to dinner and I asked how the chicken was prepared -- grilled. Ok, so I ordered the chicken (I did bring half of it home), no bread or cheese or mayo, and for my side steamed broccoli. You should have heard Vince and Jessica! "Why do you have to eat so healthy" "last night we had spaghetti, you had those Shirataki noodles, why can't you eat with us?" "Why can't I have what I prefer, and I prefer the shirataki noodles". I'm just getting so sick and tired of hearing how Vince thinks I'm going vegetarian (I'm not -- I'm just trying to have more veggies). I don't have anywhere near half the digestive problems that Vince has. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to vary his diet? Maybe it has something to do with all the fats that he eats? enough of my rant!

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll do some training games on the Wii. Since Mon is Labor Day, there aren't any classes so I'll probably do a Jari Love DVD at home.

Sorry ladies, I'm just getting so fed up with Vince's comments about my eating. I do make him a dinner different from mine, most times I vary the recipe because it contains something he won't eat (not can't) if he sees it. So what's the problem, why can't I eat what I prefer to have? If I prefer to have a plate of veggies, why can't I have it???? Why do I have to hear "why can't you just eat spaghetti with us, why do you want something different?" Why can't Vince try something different?

Michele
  • jeqrosen
    jeqrosen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A quick reply to mark my spot and to get back in touch with all of you. You are such great motivators! Like others, I have let things slide. Reading about everyone else's experiences and efforts to get back to basics is inspiring me to do the same. Thanks to all of you for sharing and helping others to turn over a new leaf in this new month and season. In catching up with the posts, I realized just how much I have missed you all!
    Hope you all have a restful, peaceful Labor Day.

Janet
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    I'm trying soooo hard to get back on track. Tonight we went out to dinner and I asked how the chicken was prepared -- grilled. Ok, so I ordered the chicken (I did bring half of it home), no bread or cheese or mayo, and for my side steamed broccoli. You should have heard Vince and Jessica! "Why do you have to eat so healthy" "last night we had spaghetti, you had those Shirataki noodles, why can't you eat with us?" "Why can't I have what I prefer, and I prefer the shirataki noodles". I'm just getting so sick and tired of hearing how Vince thinks I'm going vegetarian (I'm not -- I'm just trying to have more veggies). I don't have anywhere near half the digestive problems that Vince has. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to vary his diet? Maybe it has something to do with all the fats that he eats? enough of my rant!

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'm thinking that I'll do some training games on the Wii. Since Mon is Labor Day, there aren't any classes so I'll probably do a Jari Love DVD at home.

Sorry ladies, I'm just getting so fed up with Vince's comments about my eating. I do make him a dinner different from mine, most times I vary the recipe because it contains something he won't eat (not can't) if he sees it. So what's the problem, why can't I eat what I prefer to have? If I prefer to have a plate of veggies, why can't I have it???? Why do I have to hear "why can't you just eat spaghetti with us, why do you want something different?" Why can't Vince try something different?

Michele

Don't let the dream stealers get you down........today I had a friend ask me if I ever ate :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michele - I would be steamed at your DH as well. It's not like you cook what you want and insist that he eat it as well. It seems you do like me and make two meals most times. That seems quite fair to me even though I'm sure that you, like me, wish you could persuade him to eat better. I have gotten mine to eat a salad for lunch about half the time and he gags down green beans with his meat and potatoes but that is as FAR as he will go and only because the doctor laid down the law. It wasn't me. He still eats way too much carbs, meat and junk.

Perhaps if you asked him why it matters so much to him what you eat? Maybe the answer would surprise you - who knows. I would at least let him know that it bothers you that he pesters you. I think I would tell him that I am eating exactly what I like just the same as he is. He should see the logic in that.

Is your guy a bit older than you? Mine is by 6 years and I have gotten a tiny bit healthier and fitter and he hasn't in the last year or so. Mine takes 6 different prescriptions and I take none. That is a bit of health habits but it's a LOT genetics and I'm sure that seems a bit unfair. My family lives forever and he has already outlived every male relative in his family that I know of (he's 67). Maybe you two have some of that going on as well?

Anyway, that's all I can think of about that. Just thought I'd chime in as me and DH eat radically different as well. I will often bring in our plates and hold them out for him to choose one - like that is ever in question! :wink: All he says about my dinner is that it is usually large and colorful. And he wiggles his nose like a bunny sometimes.

I would love to comment on some of the rest of you but I don't have the ambition to go back and read and open a window to comment. I can't wait for Tuesday so I can get to the doctor. I have the ac off, a sweatshirt on and a blanket over my knees. Even my hair hurts. Not much of a temp fortunately, just a couple degrees. I think maybe this isn't just my sinuses acting up; it may be the flu. I didn't think that was a problem this early in the year.

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend! My grandpuppy is here by my chair, so I am changing my pic to him and the GGS.

oops - the pic isn't sized right and it cut the kid's head off! :noway: That won't do. Too pooped to mess with it now.
    Faye
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, This group called me by name,lol. I wanted to jump in and be a part of this motivating group. First let me say hello to all and I am glad to be here. I am a Nurse of over 30 years, I had a gastric bypass in 2006, I lost 185#'s never got to my goal weight , but I am extremely happy to have lost what I lost and I feel even better.
    My challenge now is getting down to my goal weight once and for all.:smile:

I am committed to becoming Healthy And Fit, this will be my permanent lifestyle change. Here is what I do on a daily basis I take a supplement called Zeal, which is an all in 1 nutritional supplement I take twice daily, I drink a protein shake for breakfast and at night as a snack, I take a Burn supplement, that does not make me jittery it has vitamins -B12,B6 and B3, then I take a cleanse once a day. I am a firm believer when on a weight management regimine the colon needs to be cleansed regularly,for the program to be effective. I eat something every 2 to 3 hours keeping my calories per day around 1200, this keeps down my hunger and keeps my metabolism up throughout the day, and of course water water water..:drinker:

I lost 19 pounds doing this in August, So here are my goals for September:

I will follow my meals and supplements as written above to maintain a more balanced nutrition
    I will walk 30 -60 minutes daily and go to an aerobics class twice weekly
    I will lose 10 to 15 more pounds
    I will work on My Personal Growth by staying connected this inspiring group of like minded ladies on the quest to be Fit And Free
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    You should have heard Vince and Jessica! "Why do you have to eat so healthy" "last night we had spaghetti, you had those Shirataki noodles, why can't you eat with us?" "Why can't I have what I prefer, and I prefer the shirataki noodles". I'm just getting so sick and tired of hearing how Vince thinks I'm going vegetarian (I'm not -- I'm just trying to have more veggies). I don't have anywhere near half the digestive problems that Vince has. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to vary his diet? Maybe it has something to do with all the fats that he eats? enough of my rant!

Michele

Michele, I am no expert, but I find that when someone is doing something healthy, whether it's eating or exercising etc......people around us may tend to feel guilty because they are not doing the same!:drinker: So in order to give thier own actions credibility....they try to criticize your's! :angry: It's so easy to put someone down and hope that they join them in their unhealthy habits.:tongue::tongue: And with all due respect....what's it to anybody else WHAT we eat! :mad: Do you rant and rave and criticize them about how their foods are bad for them when their indulging in an unhealthy meal????:angry: I find it's a double standard that has it's roots in guilt.:wink: Ignore them and keep making healthy choices! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: YOUR digestive system will thank you....while the rest are eating tums :laugh:
    BTW...I am lucky..... in that my husband is so impressed with what I've been doing and keeps trying to get on board with me so HE can be healthier. I'm just lucky in that way and thankful:blushing:

Have a great Sunday all. I'm off to the beach! Our last hurrah!!!!:laugh: Yesterday's cookout went well and I didn't over indulge. Thank God for this tool (MFP)....a format that helps us communicate with each other and encourage each other!!!

BirdieM:heart::drinker:
  • melyhegedu
    melyhegedu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Although I am new here, I also want to give some words of support, Michele! Why is it that those closest to us insist on sabotaging our efforts?? I haven't told my DH that I have joined this website. He would start bringing home chips, my downfall. Hang in there and stick to your guns.

But today, we are having friends over for okonomiyaki. This is a Japanese snack food that starts out healthy. It's a pancake filled with cabbage. But then you pile on whatever you want: bacon, shrimp, fish, etc. and top it off with a sweet soy sauce and mayonnaise! I discovered it on a trip to Japan a few years ago and learned how to make it at home. I am going to figure out exactly how many calories it has. I don't even want to think about it now. Speaking of shirataki noodles, I also learned how to make sukiyaki. It's easy and very healthy, with lots of vegetables and really thin-sliced beef.

have a healthy, happy weekend everyone!
    Julia
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Natalie – Glad you are doing well after your surgery. Hang in there. You will be back on your bike outside soon.

Mimi – Glad you are back posting again. I do miss you when you are gone.

Julia – I was told by a nutritionist to try not to be more than 500 calories (over or under) my calories. With that said, I only worry about my exercise calories on the odd day they make more than a 500 calorie deficit.

Kathy – If you can post pictures of your yard and gardens. I’d love to see them. (said wishfully thinking of the day when I have water and can start planting again)

Sally- Glad to hear you have your power back.

Jane – It looks like things are turning out well for you. Good luck in your new home and new town.

Joyce – Welcome. There is always some positive stuff going on here. But, always feel free to whine when you need it.

Michelle – Good idea about leaving healthy stuff out for munching. I need to remember that idea on weekends especially.

Marilyn – I love labs, but do know what you mean about the young ones. Hang in there! Best wishes for the tails of your other critters.

To all cooking for hubbies and families – If I lived alone or just with my DD, I’d be a vegetarian or only eat meat a few times a month. Instead I cook meat 5-6 days a week for the carnivores in the house. What I do that works out well, is I cook a meatless meal and cook meat on the side. I cook 3 meat portions instead of 4 and DD and I share one. My goal is to get to 2 meatless dinners a week instead of one.

Melvac – Welcome. Congratulations on the 19 pound loss in August. That is fantastic.
    Good luck meeting your goals in September.

Jeannie