Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    f5pqtmp7llhh.png
    Did anyone do A&W drive in meals? The servers were all on rollerskates.

I just BARELY remember this because I think our original A&W drive-in closed around 1980 and I was just a toddler.
    But yes!!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    jdkbutknahz9.jpg
    9wx8hxlxplvb.jpg
    jsqc93fna1kp.png
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited March 2020
    old school candy I used to LOVE and eat when I was a child (and when/if I find any of these now...will eat them still):

Economy-Candy-Decade-Box-1960sv2-1.jpg

sR2RJ_JMbDj2-3lPPnOPkyhqw8Mr5Cih3cZcDdRh2COmsDHh_ahXNvwdxHjEMhawhEQx8nQFk0Ku0y6FlqhSjWzD

razzles-raspberry-e1351219713616-450x316.jpg

decades-02-2up-M.jpg

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSX5YXaU44fYbtZOidh5z-oX4q3ugl8gQc_Br188zsoqmnbcq-Y

newtb01.jpg

violet-gum.png

70020.main.png&height=700&width=450&outputFormat=JPEG&quality=0.8&outputFormat=JPEG&quality=0.8

IMG_0779.jpg

• pancakerunner
    old school candy I used to LOVE and eat when I was a child (and when/if I find any of these now...will eat them still):

Economy-Candy-Decade-Box-1960sv2-1.jpg

sR2RJ_JMbDj2-3lPPnOPkyhqw8Mr5Cih3cZcDdRh2COmsDHh_ahXNvwdxHjEMhawhEQx8nQFk0Ku0y6FlqhSjWzD

razzles-raspberry-e1351219713616-450x316.jpg

decades-02-2up-M.jpg

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSX5YXaU44fYbtZOidh5z-oX4q3ugl8gQc_Br188zsoqmnbcq-Y

newtb01.jpg

violet-gum.png

70020.main.png&height=700&width=450&outputFormat=JPEG&quality=0.8&outputFormat=JPEG&quality=0.8

IMG_0779.jpg

my FAVORITE old time candy:

62g57876uqoh.png
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

62g57876uqoh.png

I remember these WELL and used to love them too!
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    tneiw56j1hzp.png

Not sure if I liked these or not but my grandma always gave them to me for Easter and I usually suffered through them!
  • pancakerunner
    a6gxe0guv54r.png

these were the WORST
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

62g57876uqoh.png

Yep. I also liked Mint Julips. My mom would give me a couple pennies to take to school occasionally because on the way home I'd pick up our newspaper, and treat myself to a couple of pieces of penny candy. The newspaper was still a nickle. :) Even better were the banana popsicles that were a nickle. :) And the small glass bottles of coke icy cold fresh out of the cooler, a nickle.

Anybody remember those gross orange peanut shaped candies? I still see them in stores. As much as I hated them, I'd still eat them whenever my parents bought them. And the big chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies called Pinwheels.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    My mom used to keep these in her purse to shut us up during church. :laugh:

So good!

ipk7nbse8sbg.jpg
  • pancakerunner
    My mom used to keep these in her purse to shut us up during church. :laugh:

So good!

ipk7nbse8sbg.jpg

I have bad memories of these (specifically the fruit flavors).
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    62i98ooc8g2w.png
    rwe5zglp2765.png
  • pancakerunner
    iu02zesqwz5m.jpg
    vg81covn0lp0.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited March 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

62g57876uqoh.png

Yep. I also liked Mint Julips. My mom would give me a couple pennies to take to school occasionally because on the way home I'd pick up our newspaper, and treat myself to a couple of pieces of penny candy. The newspaper was still a nickle. :) Even better were the banana popsicles that were a nickle. :) And the small glass bottles of coke icy cold fresh out of the cooler, a nickle.

Anybody remember those gross orange peanut shaped candies? I still see them in stores. As much as I hated them, I'd still eat them whenever my parents bought them. And the big chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies called Pinwheels.

I SUPER remember all of this...like it was yesterday! I SUPER loved those mint juleps too. You are a wee bit tougher than me, I used to hate those big "gross" orange peanuts and tried them only a couple of times and then always utterly forsook them--no matter how badly I wanted some candy. BUT...obviously some folk really loved them, cause they were always around. None of me nor my friends would eat them--no matter what! It makes me so HAPPY to see you remember the nickle good ole Popsicle ( my FAVORITE popsicle was lime, then grape and then cherry. Also I so remember getting the newspaper for my father ALL the time for a nickle.

Also, if you owned a car, you were "lucky" and certainly no one owned two cars, unless they were Rich. People WALKED everywhere or took buses or cabs. We were strictly taught (on pains of death or worse--NEVER to get into a car with a stranger/strangers--so different from today with uber or lift! Also, I had a TON of friends, and only one of my friends mother worked (because she wanted to). ALL my other friends mother's were like mine, SAHM or homemakers as we used to call them. There was virtually no such thing as "daycare"...parent used "baby-sitters" instead, when they wanted to go out for an evening.

I Remember phone calls were a nickle for years and years, then rose to a dime for a long long time, ( NO cellphones, pagers not any such wonderment back then...telephone booths were everywhere and we ALWAYS were "commanded" to keep a dime in our pockets for emergency phones calls when we were away from our neighborhood). Potato chips were a nickle too. and I remember when, in the early 1960's postage stamps rose from 3 cents to 4 cents and then 6 cents in the 1970's and people were outraged! I also remember the mail used to be delivered 7 days per week (yep, even on Sundays). Man! after doing a ton of chores, maybe we got a whole quarter and talk about YEAH BABY, going to the candie store and loading up on penny candies having a little brown paper bag FILLED with YUM, that lasted all day. Also diligently searching for and taking tons of empty soda pop bottles back to the grocery store for BIG MONEY (maybe even more than a quarter), depending on how many you and your friends could FIND and carry!

NO big box stores back then...there was a butcher for your meats, fish market for you seafood, Fruit stand for your fruits and veggies hardware store for stuff, corner pharmacy, stationary store for paper supplies, cobblers/shoe repair, tailors, flower shop, gift shop, clothing stores, shoe stores and more and everyone had a business for all the stuff today we go to walmart or target for. You got your toys and games from the grocery store or the pharmacy. Our Grocery stores were small (tiny in comparison to today). All this was in the 1960's and in the 1970's big grocery stores started coming in and then big box stores--and ran ALL of the small businesses out of business, because they couldn't compete with the big box store prices.

I also remember we were NOT allowed to stay indoors, unless we were sick and/or on punishment or it was inclement weather and even then, we still went out to hang over our friends house and visa versa. We HAD to and LOVED to go outside and play ALL day, until the lights came on or a bit before.

ETA: Uhhhhhhh, remember.....S&H Green Stamps???????!!!!!!??????
  • ReenieHJ
    Haha NewLifestyle, what a trip back in time. We should start a whole new thread for all the memories. :) S&H green stamps, and Plaid stamps. :) Oh so many memories. :) But many people gone from back then. :(
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    My grandma made graham cracker/frosting "sandwiches" for us, and hot jello to drink when we were sick. Oh, and cinnamon toast.

56xw6qp1kp4k.jpg

(When I went looking for a image for cinnamon toast, I found it in a recipe site. Who in the kitten needs a recipe for cinnamon toast?!? :laugh:)

I used to make toast for myself with butter and sugar when i got home from school. It was easy for me to make. Didnt know anyone else liked it!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    My mom made the yummiest oatmeal for me as a child, she cooked it with milk and molasses and it sat on the stove all day. I can't make anything like her
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    My grandma made graham cracker/frosting "sandwiches" for us, and hot jello to drink when we were sick. Oh, and cinnamon toast.

56xw6qp1kp4k.jpg

(When I went looking for a image for cinnamon toast, I found it in a recipe site. Who in the kitten needs a recipe for cinnamon toast?!? :laugh:)

I used to make toast for myself with butter and sugar when i got home from school. It was easy for me to make. Didnt know anyone else liked it!

Love the recipe site for cinnamon toast! I loved when my Mom made it for us.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    Haha NewLifestyle, what a trip back in time. We should start a whole new thread for all the memories. :) S&H green stamps, and Plaid stamps. :) Oh so many memories. :) But many people gone from back then. :(

Green stamps? Are those like the grocery store stamps that went in the little booklets to redeem? My Mom made me lick them all to stick in the books, I'm so glad stamps are sticky now, that was pretty gross!
  • ReenieHJ
    Katmary71 wrote: »

Green stamps? Are those like the grocery store stamps that went in the little booklets to redeem? My Mom made me lick them all to stick in the books, I'm so glad stamps are sticky now, that was pretty gross!

Lol Yep, I did all the licking and sticking for my mom too. Then Plaid Stamps tried to be a thing, but only a short time.
    I remember the only thing I ever bought with the stamps was a playpen for my firstborn, he turns 39 this yr. :'(
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited March 2020

:D I totally forgot about "Plaid stamps" until you mentioned them. Ahhhh, I remember well.