March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Here’s a fun question

I will be in Portland the weekend that i am supposed to do my 20 mile run.

There is no other day of the week i can do it.

Do i skip it and stick to the schedule and just do 22 miles the next scheduled long run?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t skip a 20 mile run if there’s any way to avoid it. In a traditional plan they are big for physical and mental prep for time on your feet.

But if you can’t avoid skipping it; it’s not like you’ll die or anything. A lot of plans only have one 20 mile run anyway.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 how many weeks out from your marathon are you? Can you run at all when you are in Portland?

I personally did not do more than 20 miles in marathon training so I don't think you need to do 22 necessarily, regardless. If time permits, I would take a cut-back week and run as long as I could that weekend, and then back to 20 miles the next week. Assuming this would still allow you to have at least 2 runs of 20 miles before your race.
  • enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here’s a fun question

I will be in Portland the weekend that i am supposed to do my 20 mile run.

There is no other day of the week i can do it.

Do i skip it and stick to the schedule and just do 22 miles the next scheduled long run?

Portland is a beautiful place to run! There are so many great routes.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar that looks delicious- I miss crunchy salty carbs, spiders or otherwise! How cute is that!

@katharmonic assuming your a professor? I can’t imagine the stress of having to deal with online classes. My daughter is a senior at UT Austin. We are assuming they will move to online classes after spring break next week. She is basically doing 2 anyway for her biz certificate and her senior design project is group meetings with her team so not too different. I feel bad for the lab kids. How is that going to work? Hang in there!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    March Goal: 90 Miles

3/1: 7.62 miles
    3/2: 5.05 miles
    3/3: 5.02 miles
    3/5: 5.05 miles
    3/8: 7.60 miles
    3/10: 5.32 miles

35.66/90 miles completed for March

234.74/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 5.3 miles today. It was a really good run. I tried to keep it easy and not pay attention to my pace and just go by feel. I ended up with an average 10:42 mi/min. I am hoping to run my HM in May at about a 10:00 mi/min pace. So I felt like that was pretty good for an "easy" run. Lately on my weekday runs it has been dark when I started, but light by the time I get home. I knew that after the time change it would be dark the whole run and I was kind of not really looking forward to that. But since there was a full moon last night it was nice and bright outside even though it was dark. And it wasn't cloudy so not only could I see the pretty full moon, there were lots of stars too so it was a lovely run. The weather was nice too at 50°F with just a very light breeze, not the 15-20 mph winds we have been having. Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be around 65°F. It may be a little warm, but it is the kind of warm that I really don't mind. I wore shorts and a t-shirt today and am planning on shorts and tank tops the next two days. I really love just being able to throw on a shirt and pair of shorts and not have to worry about what to wear.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
    I checked my pace chart from the run club. For a 9:55 marathon race pace the easy run range is 10:15 to
    11:07 and the long run is 10:18 to 11:31. Sounds like you are on plan for a 2:10:00 goal half marathon.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t skip a 20 mile run if there’s any way to avoid it. In a traditional plan they are big for physical and mental prep for time on your feet.

But if you can’t avoid skipping it; it’s not like you’ll die or anything. A lot of plans only have one 20 mile run anyway.

This. :) Puddle here has nailed it. If you have to miss your 20 this week, just do your 22 next week and if you can maybe do another the following week pending the rest of your plan and such. Getting 2 good and long runs in near the end of a marathon plan is a good thing.

• bearly63
    Options
    @mbaker566
    So very sorry for your losses! I hope you can keep going and find some version of peace ✌🏼
  • bearly63
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 Oh wow! That sounds stressful especially if your pregnant! I have always struggled with napping during the day even when exhausted! I wonder if taking up meditation, yoga, or something that can help you wind down after the night shift. And maybe some room darkening curtains? I hope it’s the shorter time they mentioned.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Isn't Portland a beer, wine, booze, food guru place? Last time I was there I think we pretty much ate our way through! I love it there and yes there are some gorgeous places to run. I especially like running along the rivers!

@bearly63 - I am a firm believer that pups know when we are in pain or healing and want to help. Either that or they are totally opportunistic when they see us lying around and can get an extra snuggle in! When I had my hand surgery Hobbes had to lie across my lap helping to support my bandaged hand and was oh so gentle when he moved around me. Very unlike his normal crazy self.

@duck_puddle - what is OTS? Overtraining syndrome? Sounds like something more serious.