Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    There are purists with photography where people believe you must do this, that, or the other or you aren't a photographer. There are purists in golf that believe you must do this or that to have the perfect swing. Some people get too hung up on the process and not the results. Purists.

Here is a girl that lost 175 lbs. She also does not want to make her own spices, condiments, and so on. She will explain the whole lazy keto thing ;)

https://youtu.be/_CbimIG5wYk

It's not convenient for me to watch a video right now. Would you please define "lazy keto" in a few sentences?
  • foolforcarbos
    foolforcarbos Posts: 70 Member
    Jane, it's because I am trying to expose that while I am trying to follow a Keto diet, the question of the thread was what are your thoughts on keto. I am trying my best to be honest. I am saying, by way of example and talking about what I am doing, that I am not a Keto guru. I am not hung up on it, inasmuch as I am wanting anyone following to know where I stand and what I am doing and that it may, indeed, not be purely keto.

Again, Keto was developed back in 1915 (ish) for patients with severe diabetes. I do not have diabetes. I am sure, when I go days at a time, and my carb count is 50g or less, I am most likely in ketosis. I didn't choose this lifestyle to stop insulin production and control that production, but it eliminate all the things at the grocery store that I needed to stop eating. At least for now.

Maybe Keto people, again maybe not most, can't speak for others, but maybe they like the fact that you learn how to read labels, cuts foods out of your diet, and can then eat food groups that as close to whole foods and you can, & see how your body reacts to certain foods. You will know if one food or another spikes your insulin, for example. I will not. I was honest. I don't test my blood. Not every day. Not ever.

But Keto can really help people understand how foods they consume effect their body through insulin and sugar levels. And to them, or me, that, along with carbs, is a huge factor in controlling what one eats to lose weight.

So why this diet? Or why not low carb? The available information and video made it easy for me to learn a simplistic practice. Getting pastas, breads, sugars out of the way, and concentrate on only a few things made my dietary list easy to maintain. I will not eat most veggies. Not your broccoli, squash, cauliflower (including cauliflower doughs or rice), peas, sprouts, etc... So any diet that requires lots of veggies, like the Mediterranean, is a no go.

Because we are talking Keto and our thoughts here, I want people to know that you will find some truly fanatics that will judge you by what you are willing to accept. The lazy part of keto. Lazy keto. If you are not making your own mayo. Or if you open a can of anything. Or if you don't buy that pasture fed. When anyone interested in Keto starts watching video online, it may be very easy to be dissuaded from Keto. Not only are they asking you to give up beads, pastas, and sugars, then they go into this whole skip this because of GMOs and skip that because of low fat is really just stripped nutrients and then they add additives and processed junk back in to get it to low fat. It would intimidate most. Probably does.

So why am I trying hard to expose Keto and say yes, I am trying it, but I am also being honest about it, but as with any concerted effort, one can lose weight, if one eats better, and counts every gram they eat.

So when you are riding me for openly discussing eating processed foods, it is because I want people to know that on Keto, there are processed foods. You made such a big deal of my openness that I wanted to just walk away. But I am still here trying to answer questions. I made a slight error when I was describing what I was doing, which was lazy keto, but accidentally called it Dirty. I honestly felt if you knew the subject matter, you should have caught that error and known I meant Lazy, not Dirty. But I don't think you know Keto as well as you may think. But that's okay. I was willing to discuss this. But you just wanted to ride me about mistakes.

Even now, you are asking: Why is the distinction between "keto" and "lazy keto" meaningful for you?

Because I simply was trying to be open about my experience with Keto and which form of Keto I was taking. Not Dirty. Not strict. But more or less Lazy keto. Which is why I asked how are you defining Keto. I hope that answers your question.
  • foolforcarbos
    Keto isn't complicated. It's multifaceted. It's like karate with different colored belts. Or levels. How pure does one want to go with their keto? But then again, I guess all diets are multifaceted. Whether cheat days, or not counting every ounce and gram, or not worrying about that slip or snack. How regimented, in either Keto or any diet can make or break a diet.

Most diets fail because people are lazy and don't put in the work, count the calories, and stay to some adherence of a food plan. So in time, they opt for the next fad. Calling Keto a fad? It was designed and has been around since 1915ish. But sure, it's popular and a fad. What's next and what will take it's place. Doesn't matter. If you cheat enough on any diet, you won't succeed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Keto isn't complicated. It's multifaceted. It's like karate with different colored belts. Or levels. How pure does one want to go with their keto? But then again, I guess all diets are multifaceted. Whether cheat days, or not counting every ounce and gram, or not worrying about that slip or snack. How regimented, in either Keto or any diet can make or break a diet.

Most diets fail because people are lazy and don't put in the work, count the calories, and stay to some adherence of a food plan. So in time, they opt for the next fad. Calling Keto a fad? It was designed and has been around since 1915ish. But sure, it's popular and a fad. What's next and what will take it's place. Doesn't matter. If you cheat enough on any diet, you won't succeed.

Keto IS a fad. It was designed in the 1920's as a medical treatment for seizure disorders and was used as such for the next 8 decades. The use of it for weight loss exploded a few years ago and is expected to wane within the next 2 years (the normal cycle of a fad). Most who claim they are doing keto aren't because they find it hard to eat 90% fat (the amount called for in classic keto). Yes, it has been modified so people doing modified keto eat 75% fat.
  • foolforcarbos
    There is strict keto. These people have unlimited resources to purchase expensive non-grain fed (no GMO) pasture fed meats, eggs, etc... It's like saying organic but to the strictest degree. They literally make their own mayo, condiments, their version of their breads, pancakes, waffles, whatever. They are purist.

There is lazy keto. They buy mayo. They eat the occasional food out of a can, or don't buy pasture fed or may not necessarily get organic. They concede they are willing to not meet the goals of purists and in doing so, use some processed foods.

Then I guess, there is Dirty keto. I see different variations of this, so I am not commenting.

Every Keto follower reads labels and avoid lots of items in ingredients. Most know there are over 60 ways to list sugar as an ingredient. Or over 20 ways to list MSG. Keto means cutting out ingredients that aren't whole. So that corn syrup, or that carageenan, or that whatever, doesn't belong in food. That could be very complicated.

You may be trying to all of a sudden look up terms for keto. I think you would need, like I have, and most, to watch all the channels and gather all the information, mostly but not limited to, all the various videos online from Dr Nick to Keto Connect. But even they will change their direction, just as AllyMcWowie did on the video I posted. She said she did this, but now does that.

Do you know what pasture fed means? That for 4 months of the year, the cows are in a pasture. For the rest of the year, especially when there is 4 ft of snow on the ground, they eat feed. What is that feed? GMO corn? Who knows.

Keto people may not know there are only ten (10) food manufacturers in the US. But they do believe that every company and corporation that makes food is putting things in there, and stripping things out of there, for their benefit, not ours. Watch Keto videos and you will quickly find one of the first things is you throw out all the food with labels that aren't Keto friendly.

I honestly am trying here. You keep getting on me about what you feel are my mistakes. There is no mistake saying Keto is getting rid of processed food and going to whole foods. But that one will still be getting some processed foods. That's Keto.

My question is do you honestly know Keto? Or are you just now learning about Keto and looking up the terms and definitions as our conversation progresses? Now you are correcting me about whether Keto was developed for epilepsy, and not diabetes. I am telling you the earliest I found from a prescription for a keto diet was for severe diabetic patients. If you are going to go to Wikipedia and other sources and look up everything I try to explain and what I have found, and fact check me by your limited time and research, then I can only say I have put in the hours and and doing my best to be as honest as I can. But I was going into this thread, this topic expecting people to have a good general knowledge of Keto, and not that all of a sudden I was going to be the one to discuss Keto101.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Here are my thoughts on Keto.

If you like it, do it.

If not, don't.

Yup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    There is strict keto. These people have unlimited resources to purchase expensive non-grain fed (no GMO) pasture fed meats, eggs, etc... It's like saying organic but to the strictest degree. They literally make their own mayo, condiments, their version of their breads, pancakes, waffles, whatever. They are purist.

There is lazy keto. They buy mayo. They eat the occasional food out of a can, or don't buy pasture fed or may not necessarily get organic. They concede they are willing to not meet the goals of purists and in doing so, use some processed foods.

[snip]

That's not how my neighbor, who has been doing keto for some time, defines lazy keto. Her definition is more like healthline's. Both have nothing to do with cans, pasture fed, or organic.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lazy-keto#what-it-is

...Traditional keto diets require you to closely track your macronutrient intake and follow a strict, very-low-carb, high-fat eating pattern that includes only moderate amounts of protein (4, 5).

The intention is to induce ketosis, a metabolic state in which your body burns fat as its primary source of fuel (6).

Like most variations of the ketogenic diet, lazy keto dramatically restricts your carb intake. Typically, carbs are restricted to around 5–10% of your total daily calories — or around 20–50 grams per day for most people (7).

However, you don’t have to worry about tracking calories, protein, or fat on lazy keto.
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    paperpudding,

In the words of of the great Inigo Montoyo, "I don't think that means what you think it means."
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    pence429 wrote: »
    paperpudding,

In the words of of the great Inigo Montoyo, "I don't think that means what you think it means."

It might help if you quote the person you are trying to respond to. Between responses like the one above, and your random made up labels and definitions of keto, I am finding you extremely hard to follow. Just a page or two back you flat out said you didn't think you are in ketosis, yet you seem to think you are doing the purest form of keto there is. That seems to be a huge contradiction to me, and I'm obviously not the only person who is confused by your stance.