Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    This is a good article that hits all the high points...no pun intended, but it also explains the Flattening of the Curve and why it's important and why things are being done the way they are (with closings and travel bans etc.)

Herd Immunity is a BIG deal...and that's what we have with the seasonal flu, plus we have widespread vaccine use for the seasonal flu. Yes, a lot of people die of the regular flu, but they don't all present at hospitals in a one-month period of time, and they do present at a fairly predictable rate and it's not half the population needing medical help all at the same time.

I haven't gotten any flu in decades, but I do get a flu shot every year. I am careful and I am healthy but I have herd immunity to partially thank for that.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Specifically about flattening the curve:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation

Is there any idea of what that time frame looks like in the graph? All I see right now is that things are getting cancelled and postponed indefinitely into the future. If there was a known effective time frame (it look like there is, but the chart isn't marked), then that would ease some concerns. I, for one, would be unhappy if everything is getting cancelled for the "this year and next."

That graph is from the CDC.

The first article specifically delves into, "How Does This End?" - https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/6/21161234/coronavirus-covid-19-science-outbreak-ends-endemic-vaccine

Since this is a New Approach (social distancing/mass closings) we've not tried before with novel viruses, I think your guess is as good as mine. :neutral:

Sounds like it really isn't known or predicted. I'm not suggesting an end to the virus. In fact, I can see that it becomes a thing that goes around indefinitely like the common cold. I am hoping there is a timeline soon about how long everything gets canceled before the "Flattening of the Curve" is complete and we can start going on with our normal lives again. I'm not concerned about the virus, but I am concerned about the results from panic and uncertainty of indefinite postponement and impending cancellation of events.

It seems like (to me) that the closures and cancellations will be short-term...otherwise the costs will be too great.

I mean, it worked pretty well in China if you believe their current new infection rates.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will shock those of us who were not taking this seriously (enough) and at the same time slow this little virus down. I think you'd like that article I linked. :)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylospongium

Ancient Rome didn’t have toilet paper 🧻 but they did have shared public toilets 🚽 (cheek to cheek not your face) with a shared sponge 🧽 on a stick to wipe. Yuck 🤢
    Xylospongium they were called.

Daughter reminded me about it. Lol 😂 Told her we have enough paper items to rags we won’t get that gross again lol .
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    :lol: Ann.

Awesome.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    edited March 2020
    Spot the oopsie in this capture of this BBC video (the yellow text is mine)
    x3fj8bh97adt.jpg
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    Did anyone who watched Trump’s address tonite from the Oval Office on coronavirus think he seemed a little wheezy? He was with people a day or two ago that have tested positive for the virus.

He is always wheezy when he reads from a teleprompter, but last night he was like a robot, besides other things....
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited March 2020
    Md schools are being closed starting Monday the 16th..

Eta

First community spread found in the county I work in..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    try2again wrote: »

That was interesting. Still didn't answer the question of why toilet paper. This is not a new thing as those of us who live in the frozen north know well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Big 10 college sports conference is "canceling all conference and non-conference competitions through the end of the academic year, including spring sports that compete beyond the academic year, and participation in all NCAA tournaments and competitions. In addition, the Conference has announced a moratorium on all on- and off-campus recruiting activities for the foreseeable future."

https://bigten.org/news/2020/3/12/big-ten-statement.aspx
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Maryland has cancelled all public schools
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    The State of New Mexico just issued a statement prohibiting gatherings of more than 100 people.

Does that mean all the Walmart, Costco, sams, pizza huts, etc will have to close? Or limit customers?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

That was interesting. Still didn't answer the question of why toilet paper. This is not a new thing as those of us who live in the frozen north know well.

I just figure it's one of those things that separates us from the animals. :D I think somebody else mentioned that early on in the thread... it's the mark of civilized society. ;)