Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,254 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Los Angeles County has its first case from "community spread" as opposed to an identified source of exposure (such as travel). https://abc7.com/health/2-new-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-confirmed-in-la-county/5997738/

Tonight on the news I heard several times that once community spread is happening, containment is no longer an option and the focus must shift to mitigation.

Right, I mean yeah they can encourage all the mitigation techniques...I guess it's a bit of a semantics thing. I don't think it was ever going to be "contained" as long as people live together, work together etc., but that's a term that is thrown around a lot, maybe just not by the WHO or CDC. Once it jumped continents it was Katy-bar-the-door.

Mitigation...how does one measure the success rate of mitigation?

Infection rates in the population, and deaths, perhaps? Or, as mph323 suggested, speed of progression as compared with speed of developing tests, treatments, vaccines, etc?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Los Angeles County has its first case from "community spread" as opposed to an identified source of exposure (such as travel). https://abc7.com/health/2-new-cases-of-novel-coronavirus-confirmed-in-la-county/5997738/

Tonight on the news I heard several times that once community spread is happening, containment is no longer an option and the focus must shift to mitigation.

Right, I mean yeah they can encourage all the mitigation techniques...I guess it's a bit of a semantics thing. I don't think it was ever going to be "contained" as long as people live together, work together etc., but that's a term that is thrown around a lot, maybe just not by the WHO or CDC. Once it jumped continents it was Katy-bar-the-door.

Mitigation...how does one measure the success rate of mitigation?

If one lives or dies I guess is one way to measure the success rate of mitigation. After the tilting point happens all we know there is no containment. Since it does like 80F and above temperatures going to the deep south may be the best mitigation.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    yes, expert on TV said you can catch it over and over again. But each time should be a lighter reaction due to immunities building up.

So maybe I should hug more strangers and not less.

Problem is that first encounter with it can kill you, so... ;)

My luck has been pretty bad lately, so I'm just due for a win somewhere. This just might be the time. B)
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am uncertain if I believe 1 way or another if naturally increasing outdoor temperature's an indication of cessation, due to air conditioning indoors. Unless the theory's that it's all encompassing seasonal change beyond just the temperature, of which only the Biosphere 2 otherwise'd closely mimic.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention a stat from my Netflix doc last night that I was unaware of.

More people died from the Spanish Flu in 1918 than died in both WWI and WWII. And during a much less "global" time. If you don't like the stat take it up with the producers....just the messenger. Off to wash my hands.....with my ivory soap.🧼

I've seen that stat on multiple historical info sites, and before this new virus became a thing. Wow.

And my understanding is that while it was bad in the beginning of 1918, when it re-emerged in the fall it was worse. Obviously it had it's own specific traits and was a different virus than the current one so I'm not drawing any parallels. Supposedly it was unexpectedly deadly among young healthy adults, which the current coronavirus doesn't seem to be. And I'd like to think the lack of sanitary conditions and difficulty in getting information to the masses played a role in that pandemic that is a bit alleviated now, at least in many places. But it's a reminder that "it's just a flu" and "it's just 2%" are disrespectful of what that means in number of lives taken and number of people affected. There's no harm in being vigilant just in case, as long as it's not taken to an extreme :wink:

ETA: Perhaps after watching a few dystopian apocalypse movies, I should get a book on the 1918 spanish flu. :blush:

@kimny72
    Funny you mention a book on the flu. I’m listening to the Murmur of Bees By Sofia Segovia. And the Spanish flu is just taking hold in Mexico. No pun intended but people are dropping like flies.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    yes, expert on TV said you can catch it over and over again. But each time should be a lighter reaction due to immunities building up.

Then you won't get it again, guaranteed, eh? ;)

Recently semi-diagnosed with maybe-COPD. Loving the timing wrt possible pneumonia-causing virus. Thanks, ironic universe! 🙄

Not that worried, really: Just the 🙄 .

You're welcome to come and join me in my little bubble at the bottom of the world, Ann. If the Ministry of Health is to be believed, all is still pretty good here. Five cases, no new ones in the past three days. Containment phase going well. And I have a good supply of toilet paper.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,254 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Recently semi-diagnosed with maybe-COPD. Loving the timing wrt possible pneumonia-causing virus. Thanks, ironic universe! 🙄

You're welcome to come and join me in my little bubble at the bottom of the world, Ann. If the Ministry of Health is to be believed, all is still pretty good here. Five cases, no new ones in the past three days. Containment phase going well. And I have a good supply of toilet paper.

I appreciate the kind invitation, and it would be lovely to meet you in person. But planes or boats? Hmmm. ;)

We still have zero confirmed cases in my US state, and I'm all stocked up (just my normal practice, as a lazy/infrequent shopper in snow, tornado and storm-related power outage country who lives alone and hibernates when ill).

Truly, I'm at zero personal stress over this, so far.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Be there tomorrow. You like dogs and cats, right?

I'm not sure how my cats would feel about a drooler in the house, but you're all welcome!

I appreciate the kind invitation, and it would be lovely to meet you in person. But planes or boats? Hmmm. ;)

We still have zero confirmed cases in my US state, and I'm all stocked up (just my normal practice, as a lazy/infrequent shopper in snow, tornado and storm-related power outage country who lives alone and hibernates when ill).

Truly, I'm at zero personal stress over this, so far.

Yes, good point on the flying and floating petri dishes. You could row over?

I could borrow my brother's two kayaks and we could both paddle over.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I could borrow my brother's two kayaks and we could both paddle over.

What happens if someone on your floating pacific island starts coughing? Will they be voted off the island?

They get stuffed in a spare hobbit hole.