Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Since the ones that are dying seem to have had preexisting health issues it seems while a good stock of toilet paper and canned tuna are nice that working to improve general health is the best goal 24/7/365. The first case in KY and TN have been announced. Locally it is expected to arrive mid April so at least we will have winter behind us.

Maybe being old is a factor at our house but who does not have 24+ of toilet paper on hands at all times?

I don't think whether it's winter or not matters...it's hitting in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few Social Distancing suggestions and actions right now in Seattle and the surrounding area. Older people are being told to stay home. All the senior centers are closed.

Obviously the Big Money makers are taking the biggest action. Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing and (at least) the Northshore School District have taken measures to have their employees and students work from home. Schools, including the Universities are closed for the rest of the month. ComicCon is cancelled, and I'm sure other large gatherings. The professional sports teams haven't made any official decisions but some out-of-area school sports teams have chosen not to come to Seattle - and I can't blame them. I guess it's good that this is a very tech-y community in that a lot of the work can be done in isolation/at home.

I'm torn, it's hard to stay distant. I'm hoping this containment action will help, but no way to know right now.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »

That colloidal silver stuff has been snake oil for a while..I'd run away from anything if Bakker is involved. He was already in prison for defrauding people

Even Hippocrates touted the benefits of silver. All we need now is some idiot to bring back the treatments and salves that contained mercury. At least silver is pretty much benign although if someone takes it and goes out in the sun their skin can turn blue.

Remind me of that next time I want to play a practical joke on my brother :tongue:

It's frightening how some snake oil salesmen manage to make a living off the desperation of people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    :lol: Just to stay on-topic, Ivory Soap is a Proctor and Gambles product.

I'm all set with Ivory soap for the next few months. I ordered something from Walmart.com that was not available locally and needed another $5 to meet the free shipping threshold, and it happened to be Ivory soap. Well, for some stupid reason, they shipped it out of NV instead of someplace closer to me in MA, it went all over the country, and was going to take so long to arrive that I bought another 10 pack from the store.

Good luck competing with Amazon Prime, Walmart.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I wrote the part about the government because they're trying to contain the northern outbreak by extending the quarantine. People found out about it late at night and those that live in the rest of Italy, especially college students, quickly packed up and flooded the train stations in the middle of the night and left Milan. They can be contagious and may spread the virus far and wide. Italians are used to doing what they want--the rules are for others, so now to see what happens.

We have our first case in my town (St Louis) because of a study abroad student returning in a hurry from Italy. Apparently she flew through Chicago, took an Amtrak home, and upon return did go to a local hospital for testing and the family was advised to self quarantine, only they didn’t... younger siblings went to school Friday and father took one of the daughters to a dance at a swanky hotel Saturday night. While they were there they got the confirmed presumptive positive diagnosis for the sister and immediately left but people here are outraged that they didn’t heed the recommendation for social quarantine to begin with.

Apparently "close relatives" of the student on the train have become ill with the virus.

Pubic stoning for "stupid behavior"?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    My state:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/coronavirus-cases-jump-from-13-to-28-in-massachusetts/2087593/

The number of confirmed or presumptive positive cases of the novel coronavirus in Massachusetts has jumped to 28, up from 13 on Saturday, according to state health officials.

Twenty-seven of the state's cases are presumed to be positive, state officials say. One case has been confirmed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Fifteen new presumptive positive cases of the virus were announced by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health on Sunday, including five in Boston.

State health officials say all 15 cases — eight men and seven women — had a direct connection to a conference held by the biotech company Biogen from Feb. 24 to 27 at the Marriott Long Wharf in Boston's Seaport District.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Walmart shopping the items not in the warehouse near you that’s the issue .So each box you get came from a different warehouse instead of one.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    We have our first two cases in Virginia. One was a military officer who came back from overseas and was quarantined immediately. The other was an elderly gentleman who came back from a Nile cruise. Supposedly there were also a handful of Marylanders on the same cruise that tested positive and all were handled appropriately when they arrived back.

I had dinner with my parents who are in their 70s over the weekend, and tried to feel out what their take on the situation was, and was pleasantly surprised to find they weren't panicked but also weren't buying in to the hoax thing. They are going to continue to babysit the grandkids regardless, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed those huggable little petri dishes don't give it to them.

Don't know if I would say they were all handled "appropriately" when they came back, as one individual among the Maryland cases went to a senior living community to sit shiva rather than self-quarantine, and another went to an event that I have yet to see described specifically -- it was in Pennsylvania in someone's home, but with a large attendance of both school children and school staff.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm in the San Francisco bay area. My daughter just sent me a picture of the Princess Cruise ship still docked in the bay. She took the picture from my grandson's preschool :(
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    We have our first two cases in Virginia. One was a military officer who came back from overseas and was quarantined immediately. The other was an elderly gentleman who came back from a Nile cruise. Supposedly there were also a handful of Marylanders on the same cruise that tested positive and all were handled appropriately when they arrived back.

I had dinner with my parents who are in their 70s over the weekend, and tried to feel out what their take on the situation was, and was pleasantly surprised to find they weren't panicked but also weren't buying in to the hoax thing. They are going to continue to babysit the grandkids regardless, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed those huggable little petri dishes don't give it to them.

Don't know if I would say they were all handled "appropriately" when they came back, as one individual among the Maryland cases went to a senior living community to sit shiva rather than self-quarantine, and another went to an event that I have yet to see described specifically -- it was in Pennsylvania in someone's home, but with a large attendance of both school children and school staff.

Ah, I worded that wrong, sorry. It was the two cases in VA that what I read said were handled appropriately. I actually didn't know the details of the folks in Maryland.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Since the ones that are dying seem to have had preexisting health issues it seems while a good stock of toilet paper and canned tuna are nice that working to improve general health is the best goal 24/7/365. The first case in KY and TN have been announced. Locally it is expected to arrive mid April so at least we will have winter behind us.

Maybe being old is a factor at our house but who does not have 24+ of toilet paper on hands at all times?

I don't think whether it's winter or not matters...it's hitting in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer.

From my understanding, the vast majority of cases in Australia are from people who have returned from other countries rather than transmission to others when they have returned home. That may change now that the weather is cooling down with autumn. I have read that the virus doesn't survive in the heat but who knows what is and isn't true.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

From my understanding, the vast majority of cases in Australia are from people who have returned from other countries rather than transmission to others when they have returned home. That may change now that the weather is cooling down with autumn. I have read that the virus doesn't survive in the heat but who knows what is and isn't true.

Our NZ cases are all people who have returned from overseas, or their family members, so far.

My understanding was that we don't yet know if there is a seasonal component to infection rate. The fact that it has arrived here (and in Aus) in time to coincide with seasonal 'flu is not great, though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I believe they don't know yet, but there is some hope that might be true.