Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Our San Antonio Tx Mall lady incident since she was shopping 🛍 positive at a crowded mall there was no way to track anyone down really. The mall staff y hotel 🏨 she stayed in cleaned 🧹 without protective gear after. So who knows who y where .We have mass numbers of shoppers as far as Mexico 🇲🇽 to Houston who shop here - vacation every Saturday that’s not including people abroad. We’re a tourist city.

The Nursing home in Washington State only looked at nurses who worked for the nursing home but refused testing to the private patients family hired private care nurses who sat with them.

No ones adding positive cruise passengers to their states numbers which I heard one lady say Her State has zero still. Ummm 🤔 you got 3 positive cruise ship passengers from your state that are going to bases or home after it docks today. She was shocked 😳 why isn’t it recorded or in our news?
    Don’t know.

I think it’s already in many communities without anyone knowing especially if they get the mild symptoms or can’t get tested .

Hopefully will All look back laugh about all this someday like we have every other day Yesterdays news. Or it will be more treatable thought of as the common cold 🥶 as seriousness.

I just want hubby to go grocery shopping not have to bring home tiny cans of high calorie corn cause it’s all that’s left on our shelves. That’s annoying so far. Or go to 2 stores or more to find a package of diapers (were still potty training).

Today is sons 3rd Birthday 🎁 not celebrating until my Dad can come later this week will see if elderly Dad y relatives (live together) need anything that’s not on all the empty shelves In their tiny town .
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    We have our first two cases in Virginia. One was a military officer who came back from overseas and was quarantined immediately. The other was an elderly gentleman who came back from a Nile cruise. Supposedly there were also a handful of Marylanders on the same cruise that tested positive and all were handled appropriately when they arrived back.

I had dinner with my parents who are in their 70s over the weekend, and tried to feel out what their take on the situation was, and was pleasantly surprised to find they weren't panicked but also weren't buying in to the hoax thing. They are going to continue to babysit the grandkids regardless, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed those huggable little petri dishes don't give it to them.

5 total in MD..

Couple went to public events after they got back from the trip.. one in PA school and one in old folks home/retirement community function in same county. Md governor supposed to have another press briefing today. With the info of the recent two that tested positive
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    More on the St. Louis student (from the Chi Trib):

"Health officials in Illinois and Missouri are trying to track down who came into close contact with a St. Louis woman who tested positive for the coronavirus after flying into O’Hare International Airport, staying with a friend here, then taking an Amtrak train to her home last week.

The woman, in her 20s, flew into O’Hare on Monday and took an Amtrak train to St. Louis on Wednesday, according to Missouri and St. Louis County officials. Officials did not know where she stayed in the Chicago area, or how she got to Union Station to board the Amtrak 303 train....

Meanwhile, Amtrak issued a statement saying the rail service is “working in close contact with public health and emergency management teams to have the best available information to be able to share with our customers and employees who might be affected.”

Amtrak said it was notifying passengers and employees who may have been on the same train. “As a precaution, we have taken the train out of service for comprehensive cleaning and disinfection, and are also working to do a thorough disinfection of the Chicago and St. Louis stations,” the statement said."

Given the number of people who were brought home from programs in Italy, it seems like it would make sense to test them immediately (but we seem to not have enough tests for that). Locally, I know Loyola U brought home students who were studying in Rome, and so did various other local schools and U of I. And as mentioned earlier, one of the known cases in Chicago is a student who was brought home from a Vanderbilt (in Nashville) study abroad program in Italy.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-coronavirus-illinois-universities-20200301-qjd35y5e7zconarnyqrwuw6njq-story.html

Considering how many here in SE Wisconsin commute via Amtrak and/or go through O'Hare I am guessing it is just a matter of time.

Wen to the local Pig yesterday. Only empty shelves I saw were the hand sanitizer and my diet tonic water. Paper products and water were full. I suspect the tonic water has no relationship with the virus since it was only the diet that was empty (I drink a glass near bedtime to help with nocturnal cramps).

I am very sensitive to smells so I only use sanitizer when soap and water are not available. I have a small one I keep in my backpack and another I keep in my glove box and refill them from a larger bottle. I still have most of the 8 oz I bought 2 years ago.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,455 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I wrote the part about the government because they're trying to contain the northern outbreak by extending the quarantine. People found out about it late at night and those that live in the rest of Italy, especially college students, quickly packed up and flooded the train stations in the middle of the night and left Milan. They can be contagious and may spread the virus far and wide. Italians are used to doing what they want--the rules are for others, so now to see what happens.

We have our first case in my town (St Louis) because of a study abroad student returning in a hurry from Italy. Apparently she flew through Chicago, took an Amtrak home, and upon return did go to a local hospital for testing and the family was advised to self quarantine, only they didn’t... younger siblings went to school Friday and father took one of the daughters to a dance at a swanky hotel Saturday night. While they were there they got the confirmed presumptive positive diagnosis for the sister and immediately left but people here are outraged that they didn’t heed the recommendation for social quarantine to begin with.

The train stopped in our community between Chicago and St Louis so passengers getting off may have been exposed to her.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    :lol: Just to stay on-topic, Ivory Soap is a Proctor and Gambles product.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Also, this is the third time I've come to MFP to log breakfast...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I can't attest to the accuracy of coronavirus statistics, but the use of the "ignore" button has improved the quality of my life by 35%. ;)

Only 35%? I'd have figured at least 40 :tongue:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://marinij.com/2020/03/08/more-than-just-the-flu/

Evolution of microbes is not something we can not predict and prepare for very well.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting (and good, obviously) that there are not a lot of children getting sick.

A doctor friend of mine told me she thinks this virus is similar to the "kid" cold viruses that go through schools all the time, so most children have some immunity to viruses in this category. They can definitely carry it, though, and pass it along to others.