Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @cmriverside
    Lol! this is the truth...you start thinking about this stuff. Am I the only one that goes to the store, grabs a plastic bag to add some produce and can't open the dang bag with out .....yep.....licking my fingers? I sat there last night for 3 minutes struggling to do this to buy some broccolli.

But then got a reality check. The guy next to me was with a grocery delivery service. He was struggling to do the same but when I noticed that he had prostheses for both legs and one hand, I felt pretty crappy. Covid 19 sucks but there are lot of other things in the world that suck too.

In those situations I go over to the produce with the sprayers and get a little water on my hands from a wet edge of shelf.
    try2again wrote: »
    Is there a mandatory quarantine in place for those that test positive? A friend I trust just shared an experience I find hard to believe. :o

I read an article yesterday about a couple of people in the US breaking a household self-quarantine to go to a school dance, and now having a mandatory quarantine imposed on the entire household. I don't remember the source though, so the validity is questionable.

I've read it in USA today and several other publications.

Same here. It was in Missouri.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited March 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So there are @ 175 cases in NY state, and more than 100 of them are in one county, centered around a town called New Rochelle. (For reference, there's only 30 odd cases in all of NYC) So the governor quarantined a "containment area" of one community in the town. Reports keep saying it's centered around a synagogue, so I'm guessing someone spread it at a weekend service. Schools and places of worship required to close, other businesses encouraged to close (though grocery stores are to stay open), events canceled for the next two weeks. They are sending the National Guard to deliver food to the sick who are quarantined at home and to sanitize public places. They said people who are not sick are not being forced to stay inside or even stay in the containment zone, but are strongly encouraged to.

That's basically what's going on in my town/area, just a couple miles from the outbreak in Kirkland WA. Maybe not required but "suggested."

The school closures have also led to school meals being delivered.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be suspicious about the three big Democratic states being the most infected RIGHT before the Primaries.

Luckily our ballots are all by mail. Have been for years.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Interesting perspective - just read an article where some health professionals are suggesting healthy people in communities where there are multiple coronavirus cases should wear a mask in public. Not to protect themselves but because they're contagious before showing symptoms. A moot point if masks aren't available, but food for thought.

Well, that's essentially what all these school and business closings are about.

Keeping people who are asymptomatic but infected from being in contact with genpop as much.

Until.

We're still being told not to buy face masks because of shortages. Who knows if there even ARE shortages at this point. There has been an entire week to manufacture more. That would seem to be adequate time.

Oh yeah, supply chain.

The "advice" is all over the place, honestly.

Wash your hands.

That one seems Universal.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but looked it up to post specifically because it's relevant here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/05/811387424/face-masks-not-enough-are-made-in-america-to-deal-with-coronavirus

(More to the story than just that headline, including some past-flu experience history.)
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Interesting perspective - just read an article where some health professionals are suggesting healthy people in communities where there are multiple coronavirus cases should wear a mask in public. Not to protect themselves but because they're contagious before showing symptoms. A moot point if masks aren't available, but food for thought.

Today I heard on an Italian science show some interesting information from China. Now, take this with a grain of salt, but it's a serious program. It said that the Chinese have discovered that the virus can travel much farther than they thought. A man was contagious and got on a bus, he did not have a mask. He was seated in the rear. People in the front of the bus were infected--at least 4 meters. People on the bus with masks were not infected. Surprise--after they keep telling us they're usless. The virus can live a long time on surfaces, and hot weather will not kill it off for 3 to 4 days. That's why it's such a hard nut to crack.

It also depends upon where, he entered & exited, the bus. Did he've to walk by them, to get to his seat or leave?
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    @cmriverside
    Lol! this is the truth...you start thinking about this stuff. Am I the only one that goes to the store, grabs a plastic bag to add some produce and can't open the dang bag with out .....yep.....licking my fingers? I sat there last night for 3 minutes struggling to do this to buy some broccolli.

But then got a reality check. The guy next to me was with a grocery delivery service. He was struggling to do the same but when I noticed that he had prostheses for both legs and one hand, I felt pretty crappy. Covid 19 sucks but there are lot of other things in the world that suck too.

Decided I needed to edit this:

What I meant to convey was that the gentleman with the prosthetic legs and hand was not complaining and I realized that I had no excuses to complain about the struggle with opening plastic bags. It didn't quite come across that way so hopefully this clarifies it. He was amazingly calm and I was being stupid. Nuff said.

I understood, your post.

If you're also purchasing something that causes condensation, just swipe a finger against the moisture 1st & then use it, to open the bag.

Same. Generally there are water misters by the produce I'm buying so I use that on my hands to open those super thin produce bags.

I saw someone else, mention this but it never seems to spray, when I am near.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    *sigh* my sister is buying into the hysteria. She was over for lunch today and while I agree with her complaint about a coworker mocking her for cleaning her station at the checkout at the local grocery store (she's a cashier there), her reasoning is what I disagreed with. She's convinced this thing is killing people right and left. I told her not to be listening to facebook, but I doubt it sinks in - she has a very hard head.

I did tell her that keeping her checkout station - anyplace a customer touches - clean is just a good idea period, especially since its flu season and we live in an area with a lot of elderly folks.

Course, while she's scrubbing her work station and thinking of buying a trunkful of wet-wipes, she's also the same person who grosses me out every time I go out in public with her because her idea of washing her hands is to one hand under the tap a bit to get her fingers wet......*ick to the 9*

I am sensitive to many artificial fragrances, including what's used in sanitizer, and have been smelling it a lot more at the checkouts recently. So while your sister's coworkers may be mocking her, more cleaning seems to be standard practice where I shop.

I think more useful than "don't listen to facebook" would be to provide sites where you can get good information on mortality rates. Unfortunately, here in the US, those numbers will be skewed higher due to insufficient testing, but are still far less than "killing people right and left."

if I thought she'd read them, I'd gladly forward her sites with good information; unfortunately, she's the type of person who doesn't want to take the time to research anything and would rather get her news from sound bytes. *sigh* And she generally ignores me when I try to condense some of the information down for her because I'm a know-it-all, apparently.

@bmeadows380 got an email from my supermarket today which included this:

Keeping Our Stores Safe

Stop & Shop has robust procedures in place relative to cleaning and sanitizing our stores, and we have amplified those efforts to ensure you can shop with confidence. For example, we've ramped up our already thorough processes to sanitize high-touch areas, and our associates are wiping down checkout areas including the belts and pin pads even more frequently with disinfectant. Our associates are also conducting handwashing at more frequent intervals as well as using hand sanitizer on a regular basis.

Out of an abundance of caution, we have also suspended food sampling programs and events until further notice.

We're focused on keeping our associates safe and healthy and are providing them with updated tips and guidance from the CDC and local health officials on healthy workplace habits. We are working to ensure our associates have items like disinfecting wipes, gloves and hand sanitizers to use at work to help keep themselves and customers healthy.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    Italy in bad shape. Over 600 dead and over 10k active cases. Hospitals stopped all operations / procedures and overflowing caring for covid patients. Bad scene! We need to be vigilant and people need to stop poo pooing claiming it's just no worse than a regular flu blah blah it is killing people globally.

The regular flu kills people globally

We have the regular flu every year in Italy--it's not on this scale.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

This was 2019/2020. Almost 3 Million cases reported by Jan 19 and half a million additional in just one week. At the time of the report deaths were approaching 300. I'm not downplaying the dangers of COVID-19 but the only difference in scale (the flu was worse) is mostly in the response to the outbreak.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Nothing in Michigan yet......

I know... was just talking to my boss about this (he lives and works in MI. But he is coming here to TN later this week and it is here...