Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's time to adapt. I live in a place where tourism is the main trough that feeds everyone. It's the cash cow that gouges everyone during the peak tourism months. It's time to adapt and go back to the well. Start producing more goods that everyone wants and quit depending on everyone else for everything. Our farmers and ranchers feed this nation but quickly those ranches are being turned into celebrity homes and dude ranches for tourism. Without farmers and ranchers everything must be sourced out of the country. Time to go back to the well and take care of business. History does repeat itself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Amazon and Starbucks and Microsoft all have reported verified cases within their employee base - and in the case of Amazon the employees have been urged to stay away from the city and work from home.

The news here in Seattle had stories of restaurants being empty, hair salons having no customers and it's pretty much a ghost town all over the place here in the Seattle area.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    One other thing I don’t think we’ve touched on much in this thread is the economic impact this will have, particularly on small business owners reliant on travel and tourism directly and indirectly.

Yes, good point.
    A colleague shared the story of the shoe shine guy at the airport hawking the corona special - buy one foot shine get the other for free. She stopped and asked how it was going and he said if things don’t turn around soon he will be forced to pack up.

I heard that someone was selling homemade hand sanitizer on a ferry in (near?) Seattle and making big bucks. Maybe he should adapt his business.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    So where I live in Wisconsin, the local public health department has been issuing regular updates and urging sensible supply prep like we would do for a big snowstorm. I haven't noticed anything besides hand sanitizer being bought out at the store. Over the last couple of weeks I have been sure to keep "one ahead" on the staples - usually as spring approaches we just eat our way through the pantry. I appreciate peoples' good humor and even-keel approach to this.

Another 'Sconnie here. Don't know if you live in another part of the state from me but I am seeing the same thing. No stockpiling of anything except hand sanitizer. Those that ARE prepping are pretty much snowstorm prepping which means throwing one extra pack of TP in the cart.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I was watching Downton Abbey last night. I'm at the part that takes place during the Spanish Flu. After a funeral for someone who died from this, a man shared his handkerchief with a woman. Ay yi yi yi.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Biggiwig69 wrote: »
    NicbPNW wrote: »

I'm wondering why is everyone stockpiling toilet paper?!?! That is selling out as quick as water around here!

Funny, I work at Wegmans (East Coast). Toilet paper is flying off the shelves. What are people doing with this? It‘s ridiculous. And then these facial mask shoppers.... ong! I feel like I am in the middle of a science fiction movie 😀

Have you seen anyone wearing a mask? I've seen one -- a bus driver. I actually saw more before this virus in that I live close to a neighborhood with a significant Asian population and it's not uncommon for Asians to wear them IME (my understanding is that the point is to protect others if you happen to have a cold or something).

I've seen two mask wearers so far - one at Walmart and one crossing the street.

The epidemiology guy I mentioned earlier said well people should not wear them for several reasons, including that to do any good, people need to be trained in proper donning and doffing procedures, and to save them for the people who actually need them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    So where I live in Wisconsin, the local public health department has been issuing regular updates and urging sensible supply prep like we would do for a big snowstorm. I haven't noticed anything besides hand sanitizer being bought out at the store. Over the last couple of weeks I have been sure to keep "one ahead" on the staples - usually as spring approaches we just eat our way through the pantry. I appreciate peoples' good humor and even-keel approach to this.

Another 'Sconnie here. Don't know if you live in another part of the state from me but I am seeing the same thing. No stockpiling of anything except hand sanitizer. Those that ARE prepping are pretty much snowstorm prepping which means throwing one extra pack of TP in the cart.

I’m in Minnesota. It’s funny, I’ve lived here all my life and I’ve never noticed anyone buying things up before a forecasted snow storm until this year when I happened to be shopping on a Friday afternoon before an expected snowstorm. Everyone must have been planning a Netflix binge weekend. Went shopping this morning. They had sanitizer and TP in normal quantities, and the shelves were all full.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm wondering why is everyone stockpiling toilet paper?!?! That is selling out as quick as water around here!

Funny, I work at Wegmans (East Coast). Toilet paper is flying off the shelves. What are people doing with this? It‘s ridiculous. And then these facial mask shoppers.... ong! I feel like I am in the middle of a science fiction movie 😀

Have you seen anyone wearing a mask? I've seen one -- a bus driver. I actually saw more before this virus in that I live close to a neighborhood with a significant Asian population and it's not uncommon for Asians to wear them IME (my understanding is that the point is to protect others if you happen to have a cold or something).

The epidemiology guy I mentioned earlier said well people should not wear them for several reasons, including that to do any good, people need to be trained in proper donning and doffing procedures, and to save them for the people who actually need them.

I have a couple of fabric masks that I use when making some of my personal care products, mostly because a couple of ingredients are really fine powder and a couple need to be heated and the steam shouldn't be breathed in. If masks become a fashion statement I am all set with my mint green one with bunnies.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have a couple of fabric masks that I use when making some of my personal care products, mostly because a couple of ingredients are really fine powder and a couple need to be heated and the steam shouldn't be breathed in. If masks become a fashion statement I am all set with my mint green one with bunnies.

Ha, I was researching how to make them at home...looks easy, but still a lot of fiddly work. I may pick up some thin elastic just for something fun to do.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

I see people in masks every once in a while, COVID-19 alarm or not. (I'm not counting the masks in doctors' waiting rooms that have a "Sneezing/sniffles? Wear a mask." or similar sign, but I've of course seen some there.)

I live in a moderate-sized metro area with a large research university that has a signficant international-student population. Like you, I gather that mask-wearing is more common in certain Asian countries, and it's usually young Asian people whom I see wearing masks here. It's not a daily thing (I don't usually go on campus; may be daily there). Maybe once a month I see one? Most recent was - I think - in the parking lot at Whole Foods sometime in about the past week.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.

I don’t get the stocking up in water for most folks. Since when does a potential quarantine come with a utility shut off?

I live in a rural area and we have a private company for our water supply that isn't always reliable. Having extra water isn't going to hurt anyone, especially if we wake up to the water being off or coming in off-color.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2020
    Options
    . meh. don't want the aggravation of defending that post...

Edit/.delete
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Anyway, I legit needed toilet paper, so I grabbed some at Walmart (no shortage here BTW). But I felt like I wanted to tell everyone I walked past " I'm not hoarding it! I just ran out of toilet paper. Look, I'm getting eyeliner and a pint of Ben & Jerry's I'm going to eat right when I get home." :lol:

I'm finally buying it today because I need it too, and plan to get some extra because it's nice to have plenty around the house to avoid having to ever be low on it, and similarly I am afraid it will look like hoarding. Oh, well. ;-)

I'll only stock up when my favourite brand goes on sale. I find things like toilet paper are ridiculously expensive otherwise. Even before this poop show happened. ;)