Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

The packaging on stuff - yogurt, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal. The skins of fresh fruits and vegetables.

My husband is a huge germaphobe, and has driven me crazy over the years with his habit of rewashing his hands after he opens a package before actually getting anything out of it, also "quarantining" food containers he brings home that he has handled at work until they can be washed. He also never takes any food provided for employees in the break room, unless he has seen it arrive and no one has touched/coughed on it yet. I used to make fun of him, but now not so much. He has a high-risk condition (asthma) and works at a business that sells/repairs semis, where lots of truckers of questionable hygiene from all over the country visit each day (believe me, he has some stories :# ).

I like your husband. Please have him email me his Excel sheet with his list of procedures. :wink:

:D

I know a couple (and mind you, he has a complex system that he has been working on for 35 years). He has trained himself to maintain one hand in a clean condition and use the other hand for potentially contaminated surfaces during meals. In restaurants, he only drinks out of glasses with a straw, since the glass itself was touched by the server. He washes beverage cans. He keeps his own hand towel in the kitchen (I guess the kids and I are on our own ;) ). Would you like more?

I know it sounds like he must have no life, but he's actually worked all of these habits into his routine so seamlessly that they are barely noticeable (unless you're me ;) ). Not sure where they came from, as I don't recall him being like that when we were first married.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    When I said that I've no worries, concerning getting sick and/or dying, via this virus or the flu, it's because I accept the fact that even though there're social services that currently keep me existing, "survival of the fittest" always'll reign supreme regardless.

It does concern me, that I might get it & spread it, to someone else. However my disability's severe enough, that I am mostly housebound. I do my errands, once monthly. I'm going to cancel my approximately once weekly apartment complex activities though, for this month.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options

The packaging on stuff - yogurt, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal. The skins of fresh fruits and vegetables.

My husband is a huge germaphobe, and has driven me crazy over the years with his habit of rewashing his hands after he opens a package before actually getting anything out of it, also "quarantining" food containers he brings home that he has handled at work until they can be washed. He also never takes any food provided for employees in the break room, unless he has seen it arrive and no one has touched/coughed on it yet. I used to make fun of him, but now not so much. He has a high-risk condition (asthma) and works at a business that sells/repairs semis, where lots of truckers of questionable hygiene from all over the country visit each day (believe me, he has some stories :# ).

I like your husband. Please have him email me his Excel sheet with his list of procedures. :wink:

I know a couple (and mind you, he has a complex system that he has been working on for 35 years). He has trained himself to maintain one hand in a clean condition and use the other hand for potentially contaminated surfaces during meals. In restaurants, he only drinks out of glasses with a straw, since the glass itself was touched by the server. He washes beverage cans. He keeps his own hand towel in the kitchen (I guess the kids and I are on our own ;) ). Would you like more?

I know it sounds like he must have no life, but he's actually worked all of these habits into his routine so seamlessly that they are barely noticeable (unless you're me ;) ). Not sure where they came from, as I don't recall him being like that when we were first married.

Having worked in the restaurant business for years I can poke holes in his containment procedures.

I don't want to make your life more difficult though. :lol:

The at-home stuff...I'm making changes as I go. What does he do about bread bags?

I'm kind of at the, "Se la vie," platform. Today. I reserve the right to change my mind. Again.
  • try2again
    Options

Someone touched that straw wrapper to put it on the filthy table and now he touches the wrapper and has their disgusting filth all over himself. Not replacing your kitchen towel after every incident is also a disgusting behavior, especially if its used to wipe down a counter top. Also, he picks up the beverage can, washes it, which requires that he touches the faucet and transfers the filth of the can to the knob, but does he cleanse the knob?

Hi I have bad OCD

Ah, but he only touches the wrapper with the hand designated for contaminated surfaces. ;) Oh, and our hand towels are only for washed hands- no surfaces. But I give you the rest. Pretty sure I'm the only one who cleans the faucets & knobs in the house. :D
  • cmriverside
    Options
    lol pitbullpyppy. That's kind of how I feel about it too.

I've been Netflix-watching the 1990s Star Trek series. I think we all need transporters and food replicators. I'm certain those were created by an epidemiologist.

Except I watched one episode the other day where some unintended creature got transported. That's gonna happen.

Does anyone remember the very old sci-fi horror movie, "The Fly"?
  • try2again
    Options

The at-home stuff...I'm making changes as I go. What does he do about bread bags?

Open the bag while hands are still unwashed. Wash hands. Carefully reach inside (perhaps tongs would be helpful? ;) ) and remove bread. Close bag and rewash hands before proceeding with food preparation (assuming any other required containers have already been procured and opened).

I'm starting to feel like I'm the one who's crazy!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Of course they're discussing this kimny. Between caring for multiple contagious patients and talking to us.

Considering what some of the nurses I know are saying about what they do and do not know how to handle and what the plan will be, I'm not sure "Of course" is accurate. We were unprepared with testing kits, and unprepared with masks. I will attempt to absorb your assurance by computer osmosis though :smiley:
  • try2again
    Options

I understand the effort, but there comes a point where you are just wasting time because the effort is ineffective in the big scheme (although caution is obviously a good thing). When you go food shopping, do you wash your entire car because you made contact with the door/steering wheel/seat belt/etc., not to mention every package that comes into your home, but then also your sink and counter tops for germs that might have splashed onto those surfaces, then a load of laundry, then the door to the laundry room, and then finally yourself through an air lock?

You're preaching to the choir here. ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't even leave the house at this point. I'm neurotic. I almost didn't give my dog a kiss because he might have it from spending too much time in outside contaminated air.

If it helps, the WHO is still saying that's not something you need to worry about. From their FAQ:

Can I catch COVID-19 from my pet?
    No. There is no evidence that companion animals or pets such as cats and dogs have been infected or could spread the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I've been Netflix-watching the 1990s Star Trek series. I think we all need transporters and food replicators. I'm certain those were created by an epidemiologist.

Except I watched one episode the other day where some unintended creature got transported. That's gonna happen.

Yeah, that gave me nightmares as a kid...thanks for dragging that one back into my consciousness.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Open the bag while hands are still unwashed. Wash hands. Carefully reach inside (perhaps tongs would be helpful? ;) ) and remove bread. Close bag and rewash hands before proceeding with food preparation (assuming any other required containers have already been procured and opened).

ha ha I love him.

I'm toying with the idea of just putting brand new bread in a tupperware type thing or a large ziplock - why not both? Every time the bread bag touches the counter, you've got a problem. God only knows how many hands touched it between the bakery and me.

Same with bananas.

Egg cartons. Oh, wait! *runs to look for that Dollar Store plastic egg holder thingy that I put away.*

I mean, everything in my refrigerator and cupboards are potentially a problem.
  • try2again
    edited March 2020
    Options

ha ha I love him.

I'm toying with the idea of just putting brand new bread in a tupperware type thing or a large ziplock - why not both? Every time the bread bag touches the counter, you've got a problem. God only knows how many hands touched it between the bakery and me.

Same with bananas.

Egg cartons. Oh, wait! *runs to look for that Dollar Store plastic egg holder thingy that I put away.*

I mean, everything in my refrigerator and cupboards are potentially a problem.

Not really. Has it been mentioned how long the virus can live on surfaces?

(I'm not the one who "disagreed" with you, BTW.)
  • Maggiemay1022
    Maggiemay1022 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's a Zombie Apocalypse!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Both the old one (and sequel) from the '50s and the newer one (1980s) with Jeff Goldblum. (Looking for the years I see there was a third one in the '50s that I never saw.)
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2020
    Options
    ...But they're not really sure (about the longevity)

I can't even on the math...

*edit*

Yeah, that gave me nightmares as a kid...thanks for dragging that one back into my consciousness.

You're welcome! :flowerforyou: