Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    avoiding shopping. Um... are you supposed to eat your clothes or something?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    New CDC guidance is for those over 60 and those with severe chronic medical conditions to stay home as much as possible, including avoiding shopping and crowds. An adviser to the CDC recommends avoiding things like air travel, movie theaters, family events, malls, and weekly religious services.

Like everything else, some will and some won't. I do see more people doing online grocery ordering and not going to as many movies or concerts but humans are social creatures and self imposed quarantine is difficult for many.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Also: "Family and Caregiver Support
    Know what medications your loved one is taking and see if you can help them have extra on hand.
    Monitor food and other medical supplies (oxygen, incontinence, dialysis, wound care) needed and create a back-up plan.
    Stock up on non-perishable food items to have on hand in your home to minimize trips to stores.
    If you care for a loved one living in a care facility, monitor the situation, ask about the health of the other residents frequently and know the protocol if there is an outbreak."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    my dad was just admitted to the hospital. two weeks of flu symptoms, dipping oxygen levels, difficulty breathing. there haven't been any confirmed cases in my area yet. i'm trying not to get scared here but *kitten* it might end up hitting me close to home after all.

update: so thankfully oklahoma is still (that we know of) coronavirus-free. my dad was let out a few minutes ago with an upper respiratory infection, apparently caught just in time before it became pneumonia. i'm sure corona fears helped get him out of the waiting room a lot faster though. definitely had me sweating.

Did they test him for COVID 19?

honestly i'm not sure. i'm stuck at work so i haven't been with him in the hospital, just receiving updates by text. he's been the most paranoid person in my family about it though, so i'm sure he would have asked unless the price tag scared him off.

edit: i asked and he said no, so that's not comforting. fingers crossed it's really just an infection i guess!!!!!

Statistically speaking, it is unlikely that testing was available. Earlier today, I heard the senator from Washington state lamenting the lack of testing kits available and the administration's over-promising and under-delivering.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    On topic - it worries me that all this social isolation recomended for elderly people is not a good idea really

Going out shopping, going to social outings - much better for mental health than staying stuck in your own home with shopping delivered and social connection via electronic means (and thats for those who are tech savvy with electronic means which is not all elderly people)

well known that social isolation is a key factor in depression for many people.

But I know we have to balance the risks.
    My dad’s an introvert turning hermit, with definite depression... at 69 years old I think he’s a bit too excited about those recommendations :lol: although, I am very much like him and wasn’t too sad to be housebound with sick kiddos for the last 10-12 days... slightly frustrating a time or two, bummed to miss out on a couple occasions, but overall relaxing!

Basketball tomorrow - 300+ kiddos and their families cycling in and out for nearly 12 hours. Eeesh.... The Home Depot near us has cancelled all workshops until further notice so I prepped my kids that they might do the same for the last couple of b-ball games. Hubby is a ref, instead of shaking hands at the end he is going to have them bump elbows... not that it makes a huge drastic difference after the ball has been passed around for an hour, but at least an attempt. He also already tells them to go wash their hands after every single game.

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.

My question is, how does a person acquire this nasty habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers.
    I think it might come with age and/or hormone changes - I remember having a discussion with my mom years ago when she asked me to open a produce bag for her at the store. I think over time you lose moisture in your skin and things like turning pages, opening bags, etc. becomes darn near impossible. At 35, post hysterectomy (since my guess is hormones play a role), I have had to relearn a new knot for sewing/quilting because I can’t pinch and twist the thread like I used to be able to (unless, of course, I lick my fingers... but that’s not happening!)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    moonangel, yes some of these suggestions dont seem too thought out - contact sports like football, for example - touch the same ball multiple times and tackle ones opponent, - but then dont shake hands after the game?? :*
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.

My question is, how does a person acquire this nasty habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers.
    I think it might come with age and/or hormone changes - I remember having a discussion with my mom years ago when she asked me to open a produce bag for her at the store. I think over time you lose moisture in your skin and things like turning pages, opening bags, etc. becomes darn near impossible. At 35, post hysterectomy (since my guess is hormones play a role), I have had to relearn a new knot for sewing/quilting because I can’t pinch and twist the thread like I used to be able to (unless, of course, I lick my fingers... but that’s not happening!)

Lol- not to belabor the point, but I'm 51, have just had 4 months of cold, dry air, and can pinch my skin and it will hold it's shape... still not licking. ;)
  • StephBlair2018
    StephBlair2018 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.

Same here! I mean, yeah, I'm worried about getting sick, but my husband is more worried about the possibility of a quarantine. We've made a couple trips outside normal shopping trips. Walmart had spots of sold out cleaning supplies. We got two bags of flour, sugar and a couple things of dry milk. I also got 5 cases of 24 and 32 ct bottles of water (two of one and three of the other). Stocking up on canned things each trip. My brother in law has a different approach that he 'could live off beans and rice'...I'm not sure his three kids could though *facepalm*