Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Explication of mitigation:
    Right now best knowledge is 80% of people have mild illness 15% have more significant illnesses required some medical care and 5% have very severe life threatening illnesses requiring things like respirators for a few week in order to live.
    If a metro area only has X respirators and if the whole population that is going to get sick would result in 5x people being in the grpup that needs respirators if they all get sick at once many more people die from lack of respiration help then if they get sick over say 6 months and can all be treated. And 6 times as many people can use those respirators.

Italy's death rate seems much higher, around 5% last I heard. My guess would be that's why. They literally don't have enough equipment to help all in need. We will be at that critical juncture very soon, especially if certain messaging is, "hey, it's not that serious...".

https://www.livescience.com/why-italy-coronavirus-deaths-so-high.html

I live in an area where the age demographic is literally around 70. If I get that sick that I need intubation (or my wife), they will chose me or her over someone else in need (likely). I'd rather not go out in public and force that decision. Most here are like me already and being smart about it. The young, not so much.

Here's the good potential news. If we had consistent messaging now, because I think it will lessen temporarily over the Summer, we could be way more prepared in the Fall. But that takes monumental effort and leadership, neither of which I'm confident in currently.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I cut into a fresh head of cabbage that I had washed. I immediately thought - "Hm, maybe I should have taken off a couple layers of leaves."
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Went to pub trivia last night and the place was packed as usual. Wisconsin seems to be in non-panic mode right now. Only one case reported. There is plenty of water and TP on the shelves (although hand sanitizer is sold out). We had a couple of snowstorm false alarms so I think many are either well stocked still or being practical.

So far the only way it has affected me is indirectly. I am having a family dinner on Saturday. My niece was supposed to set up a big Wisconsin Cheese display at the big South by Southwest Festival in Austin, TX but the entire festival was cancelled by the city so she will be able to make the dinner.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I think the rate of smoking in certain countries may be strongly correlated to the severity of outbreaks and the progression of more serious cases. It sounds like having having pre-existing lung damage makes it easier for the disease to progress into the lower respiratory tracts and lungs causing the more serious cases. China and Italy have higher rates of smoking than the US. If that is true, the US may see slower spread in the community and fewer severe cases. I wonder if there has been enough data collected at this point to compare the risks between smokers and non-smokers.

I saw something about the Chinese cases having a much higher death rate for men than women and speculating that that was because smoking is very common for Chinese men and not Chinese women, but I don't know if any of that has actually proved to be true, or what we now know about the death rate. This was earlier so things could have changed.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We have the first confirmed case in my town. A daycare worker. The next county over has a fire station that is under quarantine, because they attended to a teacher at a middle school who fainted on the job. The teacher tested positive in the hospital and that entire county's school system is shut down today.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Our state only has 1 confirmed case so far. Found out late last night (Mon) that the University in town successfully recalled 18 study-abroad students (Sun morning). That's nice. All 18 were in Italy, and they're now quarantined in one of the dormitories. :no_mouth: This is just the students in Italy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I think the rate of smoking in certain countries may be strongly correlated to the severity of outbreaks and the progression of more serious cases. It sounds like having having pre-existing lung damage makes it easier for the disease to progress into the lower respiratory tracts and lungs causing the more serious cases. China and Italy have higher rates of smoking than the US. If that is true, the US may see slower spread in the community and fewer severe cases. I wonder if there has been enough data collected at this point to compare the risks between smokers and non-smokers.

I have not seen much news about it but I did see a report that made the conclusion that smoking has had a strong influence over the death percentages in more non elderly cases. I do worry about the smokers in my family. In my close by family I think I have 2 at risk. One of them is younger than me but he has smoking and drinking since he was a teen in great excess. The older is weakened by poor diabetes management and age. It would be sad if something happened to either one but not a shock. The elder does not have years. The younger is close to needing an oxygen tank and will almost certainly face a pretty horrible death at a fairly early age.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I live in a very small town in a pretty rural county, which is to my advantage, but we have a lot of tourists and temporary vacationers here on this end of the county because there are a lot of luxury 2nd homes here owned by people from the DC area and other areas. So there's opportunity for it to get into this area. Not to mention the number of people who are truckers and are driving all over the country and returning here on the weekends. It has me thinking of my grandparents - my dad's parents are both still living and are 90 and 88; my moms mother is 81. They all still live at home but do have their health issues. My dad's mom has mobility problems and doesn't go anywhere except to the doctor's, and my grandfather tends to stick close to home for her sake, which keeps them fairly isolated normally, and I'm starting to be very thankful for that! My mother's mom lives in a very rural community and also tends to keep to herself though she gets out more than my other set of grandparents.

It has already made me more aware when I go into a public place, such as the local Wendy's yesterday: I was looking at the crowds in the store, not to mention the people behind the counter preparing the food, and just wondering how many of them were ill or carriers of something, and how clean could the place really be? Especially during a lunch rush, when they are extremely busy. How often do they truly take time to clean up their work stations in the back? Or go out into the lobby and wipe tables down? Are they using a clean rag each time, or just keep using the same rag dipped in the same container of sanitizer?

Another source that people don't think about is cash money - cash dollars can be home to all kinds of illnesses. It's actually gotten me to thinking about my wallet and what's inside; I've never thought about wiping my credit and debit cards down, or making sure my wallet is clean. And yet I pull those cards out to pay for all sorts of things from stores to restaurants to gas, after touching all sorts of things first. And then I just stick them back into my wallet until I need them next. So I may go to the restroom when I get to the restaurant and wash my hands thoroughly, but then if I go and pay for my order as we do at fast food restaurants, then I'm touching cash or my debit card for the transaction and recontaminating my hands.

When you really start to think about it, you start to realize just how things like this spread so quickly!

One of our first confirmed cases here in IA is an employee at Panera. I think we're done eating out now for a while. :/
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Of course they're discussing this kimny. Between caring for multiple contagious patients and talking to us.

The message has to be consistent and repetitive for it to sink in to the most possible brains.

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday. She's a very intelligent book-worm type of woman in her mid-thirties. She hasn't changed much of what she's doing on a day to day basis and she said, "I'm not worried about it at all. I'm not in the demographic." She's still going out at night, still working (for the county government, too.) She's in a public-facing non-essential job but they still aren't sending them home.

I pointed out that her parents are in the demographic. The six neighbors including me who share a stairwell with her ARE. I mean, yeah it's cmr's theater of the obvious, but the, "All about me," attitude certainly surprised me coming from such a well-educated woman.

To be fair, you weren't very worried at the beginning of this thread. Granted, that was 8 days ago, but obviously enough people were already worried enough to start discussing it.

The nonchalant attitude toward spreading it to other at-risk individuals is the epitome of selfish, though.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Of course they're discussing this kimny. Between caring for multiple contagious patients and talking to us.

The message has to be consistent and repetitive for it to sink in to the most possible brains.

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday. She's a very intelligent book-worm type of woman in her mid-thirties. She hasn't changed much of what she's doing on a day to day basis and she said, "I'm not worried about it at all. I'm not in the demographic." She's still going out at night, still working (for the county government, too.) She's in a public-facing non-essential job but they still aren't sending them home.

I pointed out that her parents are in the demographic. The six neighbors including me who share a stairwell with her ARE. I mean, yeah it's cmr's theater of the obvious, but the, "All about me," attitude certainly surprised me coming from such a well-educated woman.

To be fair, you weren't very worried at the beginning of this thread. Granted, that was 8 days ago, but obviously enough people were already worried enough to start discussing it.

The nonchalant attitude toward spreading it to other at-risk individuals is the epitome of selfish, though.

I already admitted that I've changed my tune. I still don't feel like it's a panic situation though.

I don't know that I would have without this thread. I'm not sure talking about it this much is a good thing, to be honest - especially since there is so much misinformation and fear-mongering even in this thread.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

The packaging on stuff - yogurt, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal. The skins of fresh fruits and vegetables.

My husband is a huge germaphobe, and has driven me crazy over the years with his habit of rewashing his hands after he opens a package before actually getting anything out of it, also "quarantining" food containers he brings home that he has handled at work until they can be washed. He also never takes any food provided for employees in the break room, unless he has seen it arrive and no one has touched/coughed on it yet. I used to make fun of him, but now not so much. He has a high-risk condition (asthma) and works at a business that sells/repairs semis, where lots of truckers of questionable hygiene from all over the country visit each day (believe me, he has some stories :# ).
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Virginia has cases but not sure if there all Nirth Virginia only or a few towards the west or not.Most are still cruise ship passengers (many in Texas my city 14minures from my house at Lackland Airforce Base.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/08/coronavirus-live-updates/
    Of course Virginia had a few early some are to be released back home soon.
    https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2020/02/11/virginia-couple-among-hundreds-quarantined-on-cruise-ship-in-japan-due-to-coronavirus/

Boomer Rant on TP-(You’ve been warned by this boomer lol 😂 ).Olden days for baby 👶 you had a bleach water bucket near the toilet cleaned up toddlers messes (poop to pee) toss it in the bucket wash at the end of the day. Few old rags or freash ones to clean up baby toss in that bucket with the cloth diapers too. All of it we washed at the end of the day dried repeat tomorrow. Daughter 20yrs ago wore clothes diapers not the new odd kinds this was folding clothes up that looked like a blanket then clip it on put the rubber pants we used disposable to go out on the town lol 😂 was definitely different than my son (3yrs old yesterday birthday) that are disposable all the time. Of course we also aired out their buns nude babe running around for 30minutes to cut down on diaper rash no one does that anymore either.Cloth diapers on my grandpa was cloth was normal back then. If it works for baby can work for adults.

Our city taking in all the Diamond Cruise Ship passengers we can way over 200+ since we already got it in this town why not.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Virginia has cases but not sure if there all Nirth Virginia only or a few towards the west or not.Most are still cruise ship passengers (many in Texas my city 14minures from my house at Lackland Airforce Base.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/08/coronavirus-live-updates/
    Of course Virginia had a few early some are to be released back home soon.
    https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2020/02/11/virginia-couple-among-hundreds-quarantined-on-cruise-ship-in-japan-due-to-coronavirus/

Boomer Rant on TP-(You’ve been warned by this boomer lol 😂 ).Olden days for baby 👶 you had a bleach water bucket near the toilet cleaned up toddlers messes (poop to pee) toss it in the bucket wash at the end of the day. Few old rags or freash ones to clean up baby toss in that bucket with the cloth diapers too. All of it we washed at the end of the day dried repeat tomorrow. Daughter 20yrs ago wore clothes diapers not the new odd kinds this was folding clothes up that looked like a blanket then clip it on put the rubber pants we used disposable to go out on the town lol 😂 was definitely different than my son (3yrs old yesterday birthday) that are disposable all the time. Of course we also aired out their buns nude babe running around for 30minutes to cut down on diaper rash no one does that anymore either.Cloth diapers on my grandpa was cloth was normal back then. If it works for baby can work for adults.

Our city taking in all the Diamond Cruise Ship passengers we can way over 200+ since we already got it in this town why not.

One in ft Belvoir,.one in Arlington, and the other in Fairfax.. so yes Nova area mostly.