Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Sorry, I don't want to highten anxiety. I've seen the steps a country goes through to arrive where we are (Italy) and I'm seeing people with comments that are where I was 3 weeks ago. We only had a few cases, they were whisked off into quarantine, everything was under control---until it wasn't. Overnight an explosion of cases in the North, a week later it's an emergency, and now lockdown. I'm not a panicker, I just do what I have to do day by day. The problem is going to be if someone is infected in our building or family. Then it's strict quarantine with no going out. Each step will be dealt with as it comes. I just want everyone to realize that it is not a hoax, it's serious and it's better to be prepared psychologically. Don't go to crowded places, wash your hands often, and don't travel. Just my 2 cents. Stay safe everyone--I want to see your posts in the future.

I really appreciate the real life experience from someone there.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Think the new cautious 60 rule is because their coming in contact with folks older 60’s range y up. More likely to be caring for elderly siblings to parents.

Pristine house with 1 kid even is impossible. My son at 2yrs old (a week ago this happened) he licked every disposable plate.Shooed him away he came back counted started licking the plate he was at before (regrettably taught him to count to 20 lol 😂). He turned 3yrs old yesterday just saw him licking the window. He came up eating a tater tot he hid somewhere but I have no clue where! (Under the couch 🛋? In a toy 🧸? Only God knows where it has been since dinner yesterday to 2pm today!) .
    He wiped his nose 👃 on his teddy bear 🧸. So had to wash it again.
    I find my own self with Mom habits having to rein them in! The spit cleaning the face type habits lol 😂. I see where this can spread quickly as my baby walks up says share sticks his gooey hands with a cracker into my mouth 👄.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    try2again wrote: »

The packaging on stuff - yogurt, eggs, bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal. The skins of fresh fruits and vegetables.

My husband is a huge germaphobe, and has driven me crazy over the years with his habit of rewashing his hands after he opens a package before actually getting anything out of it, also "quarantining" food containers he brings home that he has handled at work until they can be washed. He also never takes any food provided for employees in the break room, unless he has seen it arrive and no one has touched/coughed on it yet. I used to make fun of him, but now not so much. He has a high-risk condition (asthma) and works at a business that sells/repairs semis, where lots of truckers of questionable hygiene from all over the country visit each day (believe me, he has some stories :# ).

I like your husband. Please have him email me his Excel sheet with his list of procedures. :wink:

:D

I know a couple (and mind you, he has a complex system that he has been working on for 35 years). He has trained himself to maintain one hand in a clean condition and use the other hand for potentially contaminated surfaces during meals. In restaurants, he only drinks out of glasses with a straw, since the glass itself was touched by the server. He washes beverage cans. He keeps his own hand towel in the kitchen (I guess the kids and I are on our own ;) ). Would you like more?

I know it sounds like he must have no life, but he's actually worked all of these habits into his routine so seamlessly that they are barely noticeable (unless you're me ;) ). Not sure where they came from, as I don't recall him being like that when we were first married.

The at-home stuff...I'm making changes as I go. What does he do about bread bags?

Open the bag while hands are still unwashed. Wash hands. Carefully reach inside (perhaps tongs would be helpful? ;) ) and remove bread. Close bag and rewash hands before proceeding with food preparation (assuming any other required containers have already been procured and opened).

I'm starting to feel like I'm the one who's crazy!

ha ha I love him.

I'm toying with the idea of just putting brand new bread in a tupperware type thing or a large ziplock - why not both? Every time the bread bag touches the counter, you've got a problem. God only knows how many hands touched it between the bakery and me.

Same with bananas.

Egg cartons. Oh, wait! *runs to look for that Dollar Store plastic egg holder thingy that I put away.*

I mean, everything in my refrigerator and cupboards are potentially a problem.

Not really. Has it been mentioned how long the virus can live on surfaces?

(I'm not the one who "disagreed" with you, BTW.)

I have a stalker in this thread.

If I said, "Sky's blue," I'd get one.

And, yeah I've posted a couple times that the best-guess is that the virus can live on surfaces for UP to nine days.

Huh... aren't most viruses 24 hours, or something?

Depends on the surface, apparently, among other things:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-can-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces-how-to-disinfect-2020-3

Referenced study:

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Thank you for those links! A couple of my coworkers are in the vulnerable classification and had heard rumors that it lasts for 9 days on surfaces, so I forwarded it over to them. :smile:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @cmriverside
    Lol! this is the truth...you start thinking about this stuff. Am I the only one that goes to the store, grabs a plastic bag to add some produce and can't open the dang bag with out .....yep.....licking my fingers? I sat there last night for 3 minutes struggling to do this to buy some broccolli.

But then got a reality check. The guy next to me was with a grocery delivery service. He was struggling to do the same but when I noticed that he had prostheses for both legs and one hand, I felt pretty crappy. Covid 19 sucks but there are lot of other things in the world that suck too.

In those situations I go over to the produce with the sprayers and get a little water on my hands from a wet edge of shelf.
    Is there a mandatory quarantine in place for those that test positive? A friend I trust just shared an experience I find hard to believe. :o

I read an article yesterday about a couple of people in the US breaking a household self-quarantine to go to a school dance, and now having a mandatory quarantine imposed on the entire household. I don't remember the source though, so the validity is questionable.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    My office is preparing people to be able to work from home in case it becomes necessary. Making everyone check VPN access, etc. The silver lining is we might get access to some office resources that we couldn't before through the VPN, since it's now a higher priority.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Interesting perspective - just read an article where some health professionals are suggesting healthy people in communities where there are multiple coronavirus cases should wear a mask in public. Not to protect themselves but because they're contagious before showing symptoms. A moot point if masks aren't available, but food for thought.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    We are creatures of habit. Chewing on pencils, stirring coffee with a pencil at work, sharing the same pen at the grocery store, scratching noses, rubbing our lips with the back of our hands after shaking hands. It's a total cluster. :p

Okay but.. people stir their coffee with a pencil? lol!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Interesting perspective - just read an article where some health professionals are suggesting healthy people in communities where there are multiple coronavirus cases should wear a mask in public. Not to protect themselves but because they're contagious before showing symptoms. A moot point if masks aren't available, but food for thought.

Well, that's essentially what all these school and business closings are about.

Keeping people who are asymptomatic but infected from being in contact with genpop as much.

Until.

We're still being told not to buy face masks because of shortages. Who knows if there even ARE shortages at this point. There has been an entire week to manufacture more. That would seem to be adequate time.

Oh yeah, supply chain.

The "advice" is all over the place, honestly.

Wash your hands.

That one seems Universal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    @cmriverside
    Lol! this is the truth...you start thinking about this stuff. Am I the only one that goes to the store, grabs a plastic bag to add some produce and can't open the dang bag with out .....yep.....licking my fingers? I sat there last night for 3 minutes struggling to do this to buy some broccolli.

But then got a reality check. The guy next to me was with a grocery delivery service. He was struggling to do the same but when I noticed that he had prostheses for both legs and one hand, I felt pretty crappy. Covid 19 sucks but there are lot of other things in the world that suck too.

In those situations I go over to the produce with the sprayers and get a little water on my hands from a wet edge of shelf.
    Is there a mandatory quarantine in place for those that test positive? A friend I trust just shared an experience I find hard to believe. :o

I read an article yesterday about a couple of people in the US breaking a household self-quarantine to go to a school dance, and now having a mandatory quarantine imposed on the entire household. I don't remember the source though, so the validity is questionable.

I've read it in USA today and several other publications.
  • cwolfman13

Mandatory for the cruise ship folks. Voluntary self quarantine for the most part for others unless they break that quarantine and then legal ramifications can occur, including involuntary quarantine.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    @cmriverside

Decided I needed to edit this:

What I meant to convey was that the gentleman with the prosthetic legs and hand was not complaining and I realized that I had no excuses to complain about the struggle with opening plastic bags. It didn't quite come across that way so hopefully this clarifies it. He was amazingly calm and I was being stupid. Nuff said.

I understood, your post.

If you're also purchasing something that causes condensation, just swipe a finger against the moisture 1st & then use it, to open the bag.

Same. Generally there are water misters by the produce I'm buying so I use that on my hands to open those super thin produce bags.
  • cwolfman13
    pinuplove wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Mandatory for the cruise ship folks. Voluntary self quarantine for the most part for others unless they break that quarantine and then legal ramifications can occur, including involuntary quarantine.
    Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but if breaking a voluntary quarantine has legal ramifications, is it really voluntary? Or is it the difference between quarantining yourself at home versus being hauled off to serve your quarantine under strict supervision?

Had the same thoughts...I think it's about being in the comfort of your own home vs getting hauled off to a military base or some other facility. The CDC has pretty broad authority to invoke involuntary quarantine if they think it's warranted. I believe there is an individual in NY who is under mandatory quarantine.
  • lemurcat2
    8 new ones in IL today (increase to 19), including the first 2 outside of Cook Co (Kane and McHenry).

In light of the talk about scammers here, I thought this was good:

"Tuesday afternoon, Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul issued a warning: Don’t fall for online scammers trying to sell “cures” or “preventatives” for COVID-19.

Essential oils will not treat coronavirus, Raoul’s statement noted. Neither will garlic, anti-malarial drugs, silver, elderberries, or chlorine dioxide (that is, bleach).

“According to the CDC, there is currently no known treatment for COVID-19. People should be aware that any email or website offering a ‘cure’ is a scam that should be avoided,” Raoul said.

Raoul encouraged anyone who receives an email touting such a “cure” to delete the email and report it to his office."
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    So there are @ 175 cases in NY state, and more than 100 of them are in one county, centered around a town called New Rochelle. (For reference, there's only 30 odd cases in all of NYC) So the governor quarantined a "containment area" of one community in the town. Reports keep saying it's centered around a synagogue, so I'm guessing someone spread it at a weekend service. Schools and places of worship required to close, other businesses encouraged to close (though grocery stores are to stay open), events canceled for the next two weeks. They are sending the National Guard to deliver food to the sick who are quarantined at home and to sanitize public places. They said people who are not sick are not being forced to stay inside or even stay in the containment zone, but are strongly encouraged to.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Michigan- Only Ones being monitored for traveling to cruise ships.Hopefully none have it. https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/health/michigan-coronavirus-cases/69-5729024d-420f-485d-b931-744eef3eb889

So better than most states at the moment
  • lemurcat2
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    My office is preparing people to be able to work from home in case it becomes necessary. Making everyone check VPN access, etc. The silver lining is we might get access to some office resources that we couldn't before through the VPN, since it's now a higher priority.

Same with mine.