Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I picked a terrible week to seriously reduce caffeine. I've been so tired in the afternoon and I know it's the caffeine, but I can't resist the temptation to take my temperature as well. I'm usually not even paranoid about illness!

I think it is healthy to have some caution and concern about it. I seriously can't be bothered, I feel like I'm pretending I'm invincible right now. I think it's easier because I work from home most days and don't interact with the general public often.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I picked a terrible week to seriously reduce caffeine. I've been so tired in the afternoon and I know it's the caffeine, but I can't resist the temptation to take my temperature as well. I'm usually not even paranoid about illness!

I think it is healthy to have some caution and concern about it. I seriously can't be bothered, I feel like I'm pretending I'm invincible right now. I think it's easier because I work from home most days and don't interact with the general public often.

Yes, I'm prone to anxiety and intrusive thoughts, but this just feels sensible. I just take my temperature once in the afternoon and then I'm able to let go of the worry, so it doesn't feel maladjusted.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote:
    My daughter was talking to a doctor friend in our town and the doctor told her that she thinks (her opinion only) that it has been circulating for a while here. They have seen very similar symptoms. Wouldn't surprise me with our global economy.

@bearly63

that wouldn't surprise me. Since the milder version looks similar to other illnesses and there wasn't an active test for it or even a realization they needed to be testing for it, it does make you wonder how prevalent it actually is in our country.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm willing to hop on board the "This is how the zombie apocalypse starts" conspiracy train, but I'm kicking myself for slacking on my workouts the last few months now.

You have a couple weeks to work on cardio in order to evade the corona-zombie hordes.

Remember to buy supportive running shoes, warm up and cool down properly!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady and man stocking up like crazy on canned goods when I was at the store this past weekend. Not sure if it was for coronavirus. Knock on wood, but so far Michigan hasn't had any confirmed cases yet, so nobody has been emptying out shelves. I'm pretty bad, I don't really prepare well because Northern Michigan so rarely has events that cause people to empty shelves. Knock on wood.

I'm still waiting to see if the music group I'm seeing in Texas in late April is going to cancel their concert because of it. They've just left Korea and are in Europe for the first leg of the tour. Most of the fans are worried most for the Paris concert, since the outbreak is much worse there. Who knows what it'll be like when April rolls around though.

I work for a company involved with live touring, we're seeing tons of concert & festival cancellations :(
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    There's been a run on hand gel but the news said you can make your own with some rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel, a little essential oil if you want a fragrance. <3

2/3 cup 99 percent rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol.
    1/3 cup aloe vera gel.
    8 to 10 drops essential oil, optional.
    1 day ago

https://www.thespruce.com/make-your-own-homemade-hand-sanitizer-606145
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I see a lot of adults at work putting their fingers in their mouths - this after touching buttons in the elevator and door handles is a really efficient way to get infected with viruses and germs. I feel like saying "stop it!" like I do when I catch one of my kid's doing it, lol.

Then there are the people who still cough into their hand....

You mean like this person..SMH

https://youtu.be/0GOTbVNk6z4

1:19 mark..
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    I see a lot of adults at work putting their fingers in their mouths - this after touching buttons in the elevator and door handles is a really efficient way to get infected with viruses and germs. I feel like saying "stop it!" like I do when I catch one of my kid's doing it, lol.

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options

I am certain, that she does this when turning book pages & counting cash, as well.

Did you watch the whole video? And listen what she telling ppl what not to do? 😂
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

My question is, how does a person acquire this nasty habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers.

But then again, I've never had the urge to put a burning stick in my mouth and inhale the fumes, either.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    This thread has better information and clearer guidelines than most conversations I listen to these days. We live two miles from the first reported case in OR (a week ago). I had no idea that people went bananas that night. I ended up at the store on Sunday night and the shelves were cleared out. The staff looked like they'd been through the wringer. People told me that lines at Costco were 100 people deep. It's nuts. Kind of like what happens if someone says the word "snow" around here.

I'm worried about my parents because they're old, but other than that, I think people with a mild case are probably walking around among us, unaware. I'm still going where I need to go (gym, theater, public transportation, etc) but washing my hands everywhere.

We were hoping to send our 17 year old to Europe for a language camp in August. We need to get her signed up and buy the airline tickets, but my fear is if this goes full tilt and she gets quarantined on her way back into the US. Not fair to have her alone, stuck somewhere for two weeks.
  • DecadeDuchess
    Options

Did you watch the whole video? And listen what she telling ppl what not to do? 😂

Yeah, she's a contradiction. I'd rather not imply hypocrite because it doesn't appear to be a conscious act, it's habitual.
  • DecadeDuchess
    edited March 2020
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

My question is, how does a person acquire this habit in the first place? I have never in my life had the urge to lick my fingers to help separate papers. (Nasty!)

I don't know but then again, I don't lick envelopes and/or stamps either.
  • DecadeDuchess
    edited March 2020
    Options
    This thread has better information and clearer guidelines than most conversations I listen to these days. We live two miles from the first reported case in OR (a week ago). I had no idea that people went bananas that night. I ended up at the store on Sunday night and the shelves were cleared out. The staff looked like they'd been through the wringer. People told me that lines at Costco were 100 people deep. It's nuts. Kind of like what happens if someone says the word "snow" around here.

I'm worried about my parents because they're old, but other than that, I think people with a mild case are probably walking around among us, unaware. I'm still going where I need to go (gym, theater, public transportation, etc) but washing my hands everywhere.

We were hoping to send our 17 year old to Europe for a language camp in August. We need to get her signed up and buy the airline tickets, but my fear is if this goes full tilt and she gets quarantined on her way back into the US. Not fair to have her alone, stuck somewhere for two weeks.

I'd fear her getting sick instead of the quarantine. If she's still a minor at the time, she'll be taken care of as any unaccompanied minor'd otherwise be by staff.