Coronavirus prep

Replies

• DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I never understood the hoarding of TP. I live in the land of the French Toast Run. For those not in the frozen North of the US, a French Toast Run is when people stock up on bread, milk, and eggs ahead of a snowstorm. Why TP is always included is beyond me. It's not like you can eat it if you get stuck inside . . .

Some people purchase just enough, between regular shopping trips & thus realistically mightn't have enough, if they've to skip a trip. Also some illnesses, might include an abnormal increase of usage because of diarrhea.

I'm dying to know which part of your post the 2 people disagreed with. :D

Maybe the connection between snowstorms and diarrhea?

But it wasn't me. I just almost responded to that.

Nothing DD said was responsive to the question about why MORE purchases when a snowstorm, which is a real thing (plus an odd disagree to earlnabby's post which I personally assumed was DD and others might have also).

A snowstorm might prohibit someone via making a regular trip to restock, even their usual amount of necessities but it'd also prevent a trip for necessities, should they become sick or've to take care, of someone else whom's then.

I only disagree, if posts advocates something dangerous & reply also or only disagree, if I am unable to respond because of thread closure or to not clutter a thread, if I agree with someone else's disagreeing post &'ve nothing to add, to that disagreement.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I never understood the hoarding of TP. I live in the land of the French Toast Run. For those not in the frozen North of the US, a French Toast Run is when people stock up on bread, milk, and eggs ahead of a snowstorm. Why TP is always included is beyond me. It's not like you can eat it if you get stuck inside . . .

I’m also in French toast run country. But after two almost back to back storms where nearly the entire state had no power for 2+ weeks (each storm), we are a little different now-slightly less in the perishables and slightly more in the “things you will need if the entire state has no power for 2 weeks after the storm”. It’s been a few years since those storms and we still remember.

It’s impossible to get gas when gas stations have no power to pump; or get food/other goods when grocery (and other) stores have no power, and it takes 2 hours to drive 4 miles because the 12 way intersections have no power for the stop lights.

So now we just assume it’ll take CL&P 2 weeks to get the power back on again and we stock accordingly. TP would be part of that.

I don’t think the virus is going to be causing storm damage and power outages so not a lot of crazy here. Yet.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    While the main panic concerning daily necessities're customers, where I am via business & government here, causes it as well. Prior to the Blizzard of 1996, I took the bus to school whilst it was snowing. There were no delayed openings, ½ days, early release or snow days.

After we were coddled by many snow less winters, shovels & sleds, weren't sold here. Now I know better than to take the bus anywhere, unless I know that I'll be able to walk home because they'll cancel the buses & our government, orders vehicles off of the roads because of just a dusting, of snow.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I waited too long to buy more hand sanitizer so my household is going to run out before it becomes available again. I even called office supply stores and they were all out. One office supply store manager apparently has been living under a rock for the past month, asked, “Why does everyone keep calling today to ask if we have hand sanitizer?”

I go through a lot of hand sanitizer at the best of times. Oh well.

On the upside, there was a fully stocked supply of TP at Walgreens, no sign of panic buying. But that could change tomorrow if we get a case near here.

Ate at a catfish joint yesterday, three tables other than us, with four, three, and two people at them. Total of five symptomatic sick people. Each table had at least one sick person barking like a seal. My husband pointed out that literally every woman in the place - all four women were sick - was coughing with no attempt to cover their mouths. For some reason the one man who was sick was also the only person polite enough to cough quietly into his elbow. Hmm.

Speaking of living under a rock, if I had a rock I would go live under it until this blows over. People scare me.

You can make your own hand sanitizer. 2 parts rubbing alcohol (Everclear also works) to 1 part aloe vera gel.

Unfortunately I’m allergic to Aloe Vera! If I accidentally get the hand sanitizer with aloe my hands itch and turn bright red. My husband is the same way, which makes me wonder how many other people out there are allergic to this supposedly soothing ingredient.

I would be willing to make my own if I could figure out what to mix it with - Purell seems to be mostly glycerin.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I would like to stock up on a couple of weeks of food/toiletries just in case. Not out of panic, but there have been three confirmed cases in my city (UK), and I am vulnerable to chest related things. But it’s not an option because my budget doesn’t allow it. I get just enough money week to week to feed myself, overstocking isn’t an option, so I worry what will happen if we are asked to self quarantine. But there’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m just trying to carry on as normal with extra stringent hand washing.

In this situation couldn't you just rely on online grocery shopping with instructions to leave it at the door rather than enter the house? Or get a friend/neighbour/relative to do your shopping for you? There are much better ways of handling this than buying a years supply of rice, tinned goods, toilet paper and hand sanitiser.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

It's funny and true. I think I even saw people stocking up before the polar vortex last year, which was only supposed to last a couple of days.

Of course, I'm actually kind of low on TP now and yet haven't made it to the store despite talking about it on here for days now. Would serve me right if they happened to be out. I actually went into a Walgreen's on my way home but there was a line and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I just stopped at Costco today and I was amazed at the people who had almost nothing BUT TP in their cart. Me? I had a couple of cheeses, a couple of bottles of wine, some tomato paste and cans of diced tomatoes, and a rotisserie chicken. Obviously the essentials :D

Was the line normal? I've been meaning to go to Costco but afraid it might be full of hoarders.

My Costco was regular when I went this past Sunday. No one hoarding or panicking. This was in NYC.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I waited too long to buy more hand sanitizer so my household is going to run out before it becomes available again. I even called office supply stores and they were all out. One office supply store manager apparently has been living under a rock for the past month, asked, “Why does everyone keep calling today to ask if we have hand sanitizer?”

On the upside, there was a fully stocked supply of TP at Walgreens, no sign of panic buying. But that could change tomorrow if we get a case near here.

Ate at a catfish joint yesterday, three tables other than us, with four, three, and two people at them. Total of five symptomatic sick people. Each table had at least one sick person barking like a seal. My husband pointed out that literally every woman in the place - all four women were sick - was coughing with no attempt to cover their mouths. For some reason the one man who was sick was also the only person polite enough to cough quietly into his elbow. Hmm.

Speaking of living under a rock, if I had a rock I would go live under it until this blows over. People scare me.

You can make your own hand sanitizer. 2 parts rubbing alcohol (Everclear also works) to 1 part aloe vera gel.

Unfortunately I’m allergic to Aloe Vera! If I accidentally get the hand sanitizer with aloe my hands itch and turn bright red. My husband is the same way, which makes me wonder how many other people out there are allergic to this supposedly soothing ingredient.

I would be willing to make my own if I could figure out what to mix it with - Purell seems to be mostly glycerin.

I don't user Purell or any other products that contain artificial fragrance. This has gotten easier over the years, but was much harder 20 years ago when I developed chemical sensitivity. I've used (unflavored) gelatin as hair gel, and it has about the same consistency as aloe gel. If I were you, that's what I'd try.

I was about to write I have no idea how gelatin mixes with rubbing alcohol, and then I recalled Jello mixes just fine with lower proof alcohol, so this should work :lol:

If you're not familiar with unflavored gelatin, I've seen Knox brand on the top shelf of Jello sections in supermarkets.

222492610800376.jpg
  • kshama2001
    bearly63 wrote: »
    This has been an interesting and entertaining thread!
    Lots of good info here.
    I stocked up on some chicken and veggies, peanut butter, almond milk, and cleaning supplies.

Still need to get vodka, which of course can be used to “kill the pain” and wash the hands if we run out of soap or hand sanitizer.

The one thing that worries me is the total lack of beds/ventilators/staff to deal with a huge number of really sick people if it spreads quickly in a community.

And will be people be good citizens and self quarantine if they develop symptoms? I realize it’s easier for some than others who need to be paid to survive day to day. It would be great to have policies in place so that no one feels they need to walk around sick.

Here is a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer if you can’t find any in your stores.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161346/hand-sanitizer-diy-how-to-hand-wash-cdc-alcohol-virus-illness

Thanks! I don't use commercial hand sanitizer because of the smell - I can't abide artificial fragrance. Rubbing alcohol also has a smell, but it dissipates right away. And essential oils don't bother me, so I could add those.

Thanks to @maureenkhilde's warning I will be sure to mix it carefully.
  • kshama2001
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    We just got some extra dry beans, rice, and gallon jugs of water. We aren't really afraid of the virus, but more of the panicked shoppers that might clear the shelves, lol.
    I don’t get the stocking up in water for most folks. Since when does a potential quarantine come with a utility shut off?

Some people don't drink tap water (no, I'm not one of them). So they stock up, probably buying twice as much as they would in an ordinary week (given the 14-day quarantine period of the virus).

I drink tap water if I can't taste the chlorine. With most municipalities, I can taste the chlorine. In the paste, I've used Brita filters, but my OH doesn't like the idea of the pitcher cluttering up the counter, so we get 8 gallons of spring water from a dispenser down the street. 4 gallons for him and 4 for me - I use HDPE plastic jugs and he just reuses water bottles.

If I'm boiling the water, as for tea, I use tap water.

I'm not planning on getting more than our usual 8 gallons, but that doesn't last two weeks, and I am thinking about getting a Brita. But this is on the bottom of my list.

Mom has well water which is very metallic and she filters it, but I don't mind the taste, so I get it from the tap rather than the pitcher. This was my grandfather's house previously, and he didn't filter, so the water tastes like my childhood :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I have heard that, but wasn't sure which strength? Do I just use the weak 70% alcohol?
  • kshama2001

I have heard that, but wasn't sure which strength? Do I just use the weak 70% alcohol?

Not with the 2:1 formula. See https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161346/hand-sanitizer-diy-how-to-hand-wash-cdc-alcohol-virus-illness

"To be effective, hand sanitizer needs to have a strength of at least 60 percent alcohol. Since you’re going to have to mix your sanitizer with aloe vera gel in order to stabilize it and protect your hands, most recipes suggest that the mixture contain at least two-thirds 99 percent isopropyl alcohol and one-third gel. A 91 percent alcohol would work as well."

Also, as someone who does not use hand sanitizer this was info I needed to know:

"Sanitizer is only effective if you cover your hands thoroughly and then let them dry. Squirting a few drops into your palms and then wiping your hands isn’t going to help at all."
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I can’t use hand sanitizer. It dries my hands to the point of chapping/cracking. I have to use lotion with just using soap. It’s really bad in the winter, but even in the summer, I have this problem. I never would stock pile, or rush out to stock up on food, paper products, or OTC medicine. I buy when I’m getting low on things, when they’re on sale, and in quantities that will last us for a while. That’s how I shop normally. As of yesterday, no known cases in my state yet. I’m sure it will get here, but really not too worried and I’m in an at risk (68) group.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

It's funny and true. I think I even saw people stocking up before the polar vortex last year, which was only supposed to last a couple of days.

Of course, I'm actually kind of low on TP now and yet haven't made it to the store despite talking about it on here for days now. Would serve me right if they happened to be out. I actually went into a Walgreen's on my way home but there was a line and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I just stopped at Costco today and I was amazed at the people who had almost nothing BUT TP in their cart. Me? I had a couple of cheeses, a couple of bottles of wine, some tomato paste and cans of diced tomatoes, and a rotisserie chicken. Obviously the essentials :D

Was the line normal? I've been meaning to go to Costco but afraid it might be full of hoarders.

My Costco was regular when I went this past Sunday. No one hoarding or panicking. This was in NYC.

Thanks. Maybe I will brave it, then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't user Purell or any other products that contain artificial fragrance. This has gotten easier over the years, but was much harder 20 years ago when I developed chemical sensitivity. I've used (unflavored) gelatin as hair gel, and it has about the same consistency as aloe gel. If I were you, that's what I'd try.

I was about to write I have no idea how gelatin mixes with rubbing alcohol, and then I recalled Jello mixes just fine with lower proof alcohol, so this should work :lol:

If you're not familiar with unflavored gelatin, I've seen Knox brand on the top shelf of Jello sections in supermarkets.

222492610800376.jpg

I'm not a biochemist (anyone?) but the idea of using gelatin gives me pause. It's a substance sometimes used to grow cultures in petri dishes. Clearly, the alcohol has impact in the other direction, but I don't know how it would net out, or whether it matters.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

You can substitute glycerin for the gel. Experiment with the quantity because too much will leave your hands sticky since glycerin is hydroscopic. Even better, see if you can get some dimethecone. I have also seen recipes that use a few drops of Vitamin E. Worst case, just rinse your hands in isopropyl alcohol.
  • earlnabby
    I can’t use hand sanitizer. It dries my hands to the point of chapping/cracking. I have to use lotion with just using soap. It’s really bad in the winter, but even in the summer, I have this problem. I never would stock pile, or rush out to stock up on food, paper products, or OTC medicine. I buy when I’m getting low on things, when they’re on sale, and in quantities that will last us for a while. That’s how I shop normally. As of yesterday, no known cases in my state yet. I’m sure it will get here, but really not too worried and I’m in an at risk (68) group.

You sound like my friend. In her case, it is a sensitivity to propylene glycol, which is in a lot of personal care products like lotions, hand sanitizers, etc. I make my own lotion that she loves because it is very soothing and heals her hands. I am sensitive to many of the preservatives in commercial products.
  • earlnabby

Yes, it was typical. When I went to check out there were 3 lines open and one of them had nobody in it.