Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Bballnguitarz
    Bballnguitarz Posts: 15 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wish I would've known about the virus last year when I booked my cruise lol Oh well. As long as I wash my hands constantly and use hand sanitizer I should be alright. Norwegian Cruise Line has been keeping us pretty informed of all of the steps they're taking in response to the virus. They're not messing around lol

Not to fearmonger, but the air filtration systems are also part of the issue on cruise ships. Air goes from cabin to cabin, with outside air being mixed with inside air. The filters aren't fine enough to pick up the virus (unlike planes, which recirculate air, but have filters than can keep the virus out of the air).

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-25/how-coronavirus-raced-through-quarantined-cruise-ship

Definitely good to know! Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about that now lol I can't cancel my reservation and receive a refund because I'm sailing in 8 days, plus I don't meet their criteria for being eligible for a refund.

I'm just going to cough as loud as possible to try and keep people away from me as much as possible lol
  • Bballnguitarz

I wish I would've known about the virus last year when I booked my cruise lol Oh well. As long as I wash my hands constantly and use hand sanitizer I should be alright. Norwegian Cruise Line has been keeping us pretty informed of all of the steps they're taking in response to the virus. They're not messing around lol

Not to fearmonger, but the air filtration systems are also part of the issue on cruise ships. Air goes from cabin to cabin, with outside air being mixed with inside air. The filters aren't fine enough to pick up the virus (unlike planes, which recirculate air, but have filters than can keep the virus out of the air).

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-25/how-coronavirus-raced-through-quarantined-cruise-ship

Definitely good to know! Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about that now lol I can't cancel my reservation and receive a refund because I'm sailing in 8 days, plus I don't meet their criteria for being eligible for a refund.

I'm just going to cough as loud as possible to try and keep people away from me as much as possible lol

I'm not here to judge. I have a trip planned to San Francisco this weekend and I'm not cancelling it, despite the fact there are known cases in the area. Have fun on your cruise!

No worries, I didn't think you were judging! I also have a trip planned for San Francisco in June so I guess lemme know how it goes? lol Enjoy your trip as well!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Welp it’s in my state now. I’m in Memphis and the person who has it is from Williamson county but went through the airport in Nashville with it.

I am in a neighboring state so keep that bidness to yourself!

I am fairly certain it is here too. It is just a matter of time before it is confirmed.
  • NovusDies

Might not be a good plan if you end up stuck out at see quarantined because the officials think you have it. If you do it before you get on the ship they will send you home.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I'm in the UK, there's a case in a town 30 miles away, people at work live in that town.
    One chap just back from a wonderful ski holiday in Northern Italy is self isolating.

There seems to be lots in the shops still, am not specifically stocking up, I get more worried about weather events. We have enough stuff lurking in the cupboard for at least a week.

We were looking at potential holiday destinations last night, there's a lot more in our price range now 😆. Both myself and partner are in high risk environments, so best bet is common sense precautions and to crack on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I was still in more potential jeopardy driving to Costco for my fish and coffee.

That's a good point. We're really bad at evaluating "routine" risks against novel ones. Newer stuff always seems scarier than the risk of dying in a car wreck on the way to a grocery store, which is something that can happen but we've just kind of compartmentalized as a risk of modern life.

Yes, the owner of the retreat center in Costa Rico where I stayed some years back used to mention this before briefing new guests on the dangers that would be novel to city dwellers: snakes, scorpions, poisonous caterpillars, etc.

I got stung by a scorpion. Freaked me out because once when stung by wasps I ended up in Urgent Care and needed a shot, and here the nearest known source of a shot was three hours away, by bus. Perhaps the freakout provided the adrenaline I needed to not need a shot :lol:
  • Bballnguitarz

Might not be a good plan if you end up stuck out at see quarantined because the officials think you have it. If you do it before you get on the ship they will send you home.

I guess I should've ended that quote with /sarcasm, because there's no way I'd actually seriously do it lol I don't think they'd serve me drinks in quarantine so that's a hard pass from me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    I'm taking my cat to the vet...do I sound crazy to the vet if I ask him to wash his hands before touching my Precious?
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Company HR just sent email about CV... Telling ppl to stay home when feeling sick. Etc. 🤔
  • NovusDies

I guess I should've ended that quote with /sarcasm, because there's no way I'd actually seriously do it lol I don't think they'd serve me drinks in quarantine so that's a hard pass from me.

I took it as sarcasm. I replied anyway because internet.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member

She will be right. If checked by the doctor there would be no temperature and you can simply say that something went down the wrong way! I have just returned from overseas and while in transit it was amazing how much extra room a cough from someone I was travelling with gave.