Coronavirus prep

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My company just cancelled all domestic travel (we're in the US) unless it is absolutely business critical. I didn't think we were at that point, but I guess they're being extra-cautious.

I have personal travel scheduled for this weekend. I'm still going to go, even though it is to an area with one confirmed case. I just plan to be extra cautious with the usual stuff -- face touching, hand washing, etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    This has been an interesting and entertaining thread!
    Lots of good info here.
    I stocked up on some chicken and veggies, peanut butter, almond milk, and cleaning supplies.

Still need to get vodka, which of course can be used to “kill the pain” and wash the hands if we run out of soap or hand sanitizer.

The one thing that worries me is the total lack of beds/ventilators/staff to deal with a huge number of really sick people if it spreads quickly in a community.

And will be people be good citizens and self quarantine if they develop symptoms? I realize it’s easier for some than others who need to be paid to survive day to day. It would be great to have policies in place so that no one feels they need to walk around sick.

Here is a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer if you can’t find any in your stores.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161346/hand-sanitizer-diy-how-to-hand-wash-cdc-alcohol-virus-illness

Thanks! I don't use commercial hand sanitizer because of the smell - I can't abide artificial fragrance. Rubbing alcohol also has a smell, but it dissipates right away. And essential oils don't bother me, so I could add those.

Thanks to @maureenkhilde's warning I will be sure to mix it carefully.

Try to find 91% Isopropyl alcohol. It dissipates much quicker than the 70%. I get it from either Walgreens or Walmart.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    This has been an interesting and entertaining thread!
    Lots of good info here.
    I stocked up on some chicken and veggies, peanut butter, almond milk, and cleaning supplies.

Still need to get vodka, which of course can be used to “kill the pain” and wash the hands if we run out of soap or hand sanitizer.

The one thing that worries me is the total lack of beds/ventilators/staff to deal with a huge number of really sick people if it spreads quickly in a community.

And will be people be good citizens and self quarantine if they develop symptoms? I realize it’s easier for some than others who need to be paid to survive day to day. It would be great to have policies in place so that no one feels they need to walk around sick.

Here is a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer if you can’t find any in your stores.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161346/hand-sanitizer-diy-how-to-hand-wash-cdc-alcohol-virus-illness

Thanks! I don't use commercial hand sanitizer because of the smell - I can't abide artificial fragrance. Rubbing alcohol also has a smell, but it dissipates right away. And essential oils don't bother me, so I could add those.

Thanks to @maureenkhilde's warning I will be sure to mix it carefully.

Try to find 91% Isopropyl alcohol. It dissipates much quicker than the 70%. I get it from either Walgreens or Walmart.

Thanks!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My company just cancelled all domestic travel (we're in the US) unless it is absolutely business critical. I didn't think we were at that point, but I guess they're being extra-cautious.

I have personal travel scheduled for this weekend. I'm still going to go, even though it is to an area with one confirmed case. I just plan to be extra cautious with the usual stuff -- face touching, hand washing, etc.

I know a lot of companies doing this. It makes sense from a business perspective. While I am sure they are concerned about employee deaths the bigger threat is having a large number of people out sick. It could decimate departments and potentially bring the entire business to its knees.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I know a lot of companies doing this. It makes sense from a business perspective. While I am sure they are concerned about employee deaths the bigger threat is having a large number of people out sick. It could decimate departments and potentially bring the entire business to its knees.

I get the logic. First you have the risk of someone bringing it back to the main office, along with the perception if people feel pressured to travel and then wind up getting sick.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited March 2020
    i've seen a couple shops pretty emptied out on canned goods and non-dairy milks, but other than that there doesn't seem to be too much panic in oklahoma. i'm not too worried for myself since i'm young and fairly healthy, but i'm definitely worried about my 65+ mom in california. this is definitely going to spread much more than necessary in the states given our healthcare system and the total lack of pto/benefits in our service industry. if missing a day's pay means not making the rent, no one in their right mind is going to play it safe. people will avoid quarantines out of fear of bankruptcy, job loss, etc. basically wash your hyucking hands, the sick will be out living their lives even after showing symptoms.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I waited too long to buy more hand sanitizer so my household is going to run out before it becomes available again. I even called office supply stores and they were all out. One office supply store manager apparently has been living under a rock for the past month, asked, “Why does everyone keep calling today to ask if we have hand sanitizer?”

I go through a lot of hand sanitizer at the best of times. Oh well.

On the upside, there was a fully stocked supply of TP at Walgreens, no sign of panic buying. But that could change tomorrow if we get a case near here.

Ate at a catfish joint yesterday, three tables other than us, with four, three, and two people at them. Total of five symptomatic sick people. Each table had at least one sick person barking like a seal. My husband pointed out that literally every woman in the place - all four women were sick - was coughing with no attempt to cover their mouths. For some reason the one man who was sick was also the only person polite enough to cough quietly into his elbow. Hmm.

Speaking of living under a rock, if I had a rock I would go live under it until this blows over. People scare me.

You can make your own hand sanitizer. 2 parts rubbing alcohol (Everclear also works) to 1 part aloe vera gel.

Unfortunately I’m allergic to Aloe Vera! If I accidentally get the hand sanitizer with aloe my hands itch and turn bright red. My husband is the same way, which makes me wonder how many other people out there are allergic to this supposedly soothing ingredient.

I would be willing to make my own if I could figure out what to mix it with - Purell seems to be mostly glycerin.
    I know I'm setting myself up for teasing here, but try KY jelly or similar. A lot of those products are glycerin-based.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Small businesses are especially vulnerable. It wouldn't take much for the company I work for to become severely handicapped.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Once while working a young doctor came down the ward with a tube of KY jelly in his hand, he said, Don't say anything. I replied, I thought you wanted to be a slippery customer.................
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    Peanut butter is the only thing I'd panic-buy.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I saw a lady and man stocking up like crazy on canned goods when I was at the store this past weekend. Not sure if it was for coronavirus. Knock on wood, but so far Michigan hasn't had any confirmed cases yet, so nobody has been emptying out shelves. I'm pretty bad, I don't really prepare well because Northern Michigan so rarely has events that cause people to empty shelves. Knock on wood.

I'm still waiting to see if the music group I'm seeing in Texas in late April is going to cancel their concert because of it. They've just left Korea and are in Europe for the first leg of the tour. Most of the fans are worried most for the Paris concert, since the outbreak is much worse there. Who knows what it'll be like when April rolls around though.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member

This is not to panic anyone or anything, but we've only in the past week gotten an effective COVID 19 test to all the states. I'm trying to remember the source. I think it was propublica. Also on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, if you're into that.

I'm not super worried about it, but then again, people come into work sick all the time to save their leave, and it's contagious before you show symptoms and it's probably airborne transmission so... :no_mouth:

I have one of those at work and just want to deck them!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    I braved our Costco. I was going to wait until next week but I am down to my last bag of seafood and I eat a lot of it. It was more of a madhouse than it should have been on a Thurs afternoon during a workday. I did buy an extra bag of coffee and extra chicken than I intended on buying when I walked in. I was not worried about CV but I did not want to have to face that nonsense again too soon. I overhead people talking about how smart they were to be buying multiple huge things of toilet paper and paper towels. One elderly woman was complaining about her buggy which was overflowing. She said she had no idea how she was going to load, unload, and take in everything she had purchased.

Oh I did buy one disaster item. A flat of gatorade. This weekend it will be headed to Nashville for tornado victims.

That was very thoughtful of you :)
  • Bballnguitarz
    Bballnguitarz Posts: 15 Member

I wish I would've known about the virus last year when I booked my cruise lol Oh well. As long as I wash my hands constantly and use hand sanitizer I should be alright. Norwegian Cruise Line has been keeping us pretty informed of all of the steps they're taking in response to the virus. They're not messing around lol