Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    People here in the Seattle area may find ourselves in the same situation in a couple weeks.

I hope that the Italian travel quarantine and other measures can help slow it down for you, snowflake. I mean, everyone is doing the best they can and missteps ARE going to happen. Everyone is on edge.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    *sigh* my sister is buying into the hysteria. She was over for lunch today and while I agree with her complaint about a coworker mocking her for cleaning her station at the checkout at the local grocery store (she's a cashier there), her reasoning is what I disagreed with. She's convinced this thing is killing people right and left. I told her not to be listening to facebook, but I doubt it sinks in - she has a very hard head.

I did tell her that keeping her checkout station - anyplace a customer touches - clean is just a good idea period, especially since its flu season and we live in an area with a lot of elderly folks.

Course, while she's scrubbing her work station and thinking of buying a trunkful of wet-wipes, she's also the same person who grosses me out every time I go out in public with her because her idea of washing her hands is to one hand under the tap a bit to get her fingers wet......*ick to the 9*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    *sigh* my sister is buying into the hysteria. She was over for lunch today and while I agree with her complaint about a coworker mocking her for cleaning her station at the checkout at the local grocery store (she's a cashier there), her reasoning is what I disagreed with. She's convinced this thing is killing people right and left. I told her not to be listening to facebook, but I doubt it sinks in - she has a very hard head.

I did tell her that keeping her checkout station - anyplace a customer touches - clean is just a good idea period, especially since its flu season and we live in an area with a lot of elderly folks.

Course, while she's scrubbing her work station and thinking of buying a trunkful of wet-wipes, she's also the same person who grosses me out every time I go out in public with her because her idea of washing her hands is to one hand under the tap a bit to get her fingers wet......*ick to the 9*

I am sensitive to many artificial fragrances, including what's used in sanitizer, and have been smelling it a lot more at the checkouts recently. So while your sister's coworkers may be mocking her, more cleaning seems to be standard practice where I shop.

I think more useful than "don't listen to facebook" would be to provide sites where you can get good information on mortality rates. Unfortunately, here in the US, those numbers will be skewed higher due to insufficient testing, but are still far less than "killing people right and left."
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It’s in Memphis now, they announced a case earlier today. They are treating the case at Baptist hospital. My concern is that I’ve had many relatives in and out of Baptist and been in myself so I know they are just downright slap-happy about contagion - my dad got MRSA there, my mom kept getting urinary tract infections while recovering from major surgery, I constantly had to ask people to put on gloves before handling various lines and usually got an eye-roll in response.

I did witness a lady yesterday cough into her elbow, for the first time ever. Not that she had sense enough not to go out to eat even though she had a constant dry cough, but this is literally the first time I’ve ever seen a local person make a real effort to cover a cough. So... progress?

Also, washing my hands in the restroom next to two other ladies and handwashing has become sincere instead of a performative act. Both ladies were cursing the sinks at Shelby Farms which are made so it’s almost impossible to wash your hands properly. You bonk the top of the faucet and it comes on for about five seconds in a tiny dribble, then automatically shuts off. Also the faucet is so short that you have to bend your wrists and try really hard not to touch the side of the sink while holding your hands under the water. And there are never paper towels in the ladies’. As someone who washes hands I have known this for a while but it was new to everyone else who was just doing the “token finger dip” previously.

There’s a permanent professional sign next to the sinks bragging about how they are brand new and water efficient. “How are we supposed to get our hands clean if we keep having to touch this thing?” one lady complained. “If we’re supposed to wash for 20 seconds, why doesn’t the faucet stay on for that long?”

It is a mystery, dear lady. Truly a mystery.

I don't think it's an issue that's limited to that one hospital in Memphis. I heard on the news today that Italian hospitals have set up tents for triage outside of the hospitals to keep from infecting people who are in the hospitals for other health issues. What in the world?!? If you can't keep hospital staff from transmitting coronavirus from one patient to other, then you can't keep them from transmitting anything contagious (such as staph) from one patient to another. This is just insane. Public health officials are reminding ordinary people to wash their hands when they can't get doctors and nurses to do the same. (This is not a dig at Italian medical professionals. In decades of personal medical appointments and many times acting as the advocate for older relatives in hospitals in the U.S., I have hardly ever seen a doctor or nurse wash their hands or use the hand sanitizer that has in more recent years been installed in most hospital rooms. Dentists, yes. Physicians, no.)

And I too have known relatives, friends, acquaintances who picked up infections in the hospital. This shouldn't be such a common thing if the staff were following best practices.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I am sensitive to many artificial fragrances, including what's used in sanitizer, and have been smelling it a lot more at the checkouts recently. So while your sister's coworkers may be mocking her, more cleaning seems to be standard practice where I shop.

I think more useful than "don't listen to facebook" would be to provide sites where you can get good information on mortality rates. Unfortunately, here in the US, those numbers will be skewed higher due to insufficient testing, but are still far less than "killing people right and left."

if I thought she'd read them, I'd gladly forward her sites with good information; unfortunately, she's the type of person who doesn't want to take the time to research anything and would rather get her news from sound bytes. *sigh* And she generally ignores me when I try to condense some of the information down for her because I'm a know-it-all, apparently.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

My husband pointed out to me today that while NBA players are now discouraged from high-fives, they pass a sweaty ball back & forth and then repeatedly remove & reinsert their mouthguards. Contradictions abound.

We had security theater after 9/11. Now we get hygiene theater.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My brother is totally opposite me on the political spectrum and occasionally falls for doomsday woo. A couple of years ago he bought tubs of food for a family of 4 for 2 months (his family was 2 at the time. He has since added a wife but his daughter is attending college out of state so he is basically 2 with a maybe 3rd). The stuff is supposed to be good for 20 years.

I have been teasing him about it ever since. I am hoping I won't have to eat my words.

I actually ordered free samples from the company thinking it might not be a bad idea to get a 1 person, 1 month tub since I do live in an area that occasionally gets tornadoes and blizzards. I was also thinking the food would be handy for camping and/or backpacking. The stuff was so salty it made my mouth hurt so no thanks.

I have never thought about getting that big of a tub. We keep enough for 3 people (there are two of us) for 3 days. The thinking there is that if you are in your shelter spot when a tornado hits and you get trapped you should assume it will take up to 3 days to be rescued. My neighbor had to wait 36 hours to be rescued which prompted the purchase. We took a lot of damage but we did not get trapped but thought we should be prepared in the future. We have the full kit (makeshift toilet and all) plus a number of other items like a hand crank radio that can be used to charge a phone.

In a less dire situation like a quarantine we are easily set with what we keep in the freezer and pantry. It would get boring but we would not go hungry.

I think the hoarding of the water is a result of natural disaster thinking. In a natural disaster tap water can be undrinkable for a period of time. I am not sure what people are expecting a virus to do to the water supply.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on this thread. I'll give you news from Rome. We're pretty much in quarantine. Closings: Gyms, pools, health centers, pubs, museums, archeological sites, masses (churches will be open for personal prayer only), restaurants and coffee bars will be closing at 6 in the evening, tours of any kind, marathons, sporting events, schools, universities, ...... the list is very long. I'm enjoying your comments, because that's what I thought a week or two ago. Things have changed radically. This is very serious--no joke. China did not build a huge new hospital in 10 days because of propaganda. Flights are not being cancelled on a whim. Northern Italy does not have enough hospital beds or equipment, or personal to handle this. An older immunologist said he had never seen anything like it. Am I panicking? No, we're in the soup now and will see it through. I got in a nice long swim this morning and it will be the last one for quite a while.

My advice. Panicking causes lots of problems. So don't do it. Follow the indications given by your government. This is not going to be over soon. We are assured that grocery stores will be replenished. Old and the infirm are asked to stay home as much as possible. There's nowhere to go right now anyway. Anyone with a fever and or cough is to call their doctor and not to go to the emergency room. Will keep you abreast of happenings in Italy. Is the economy going to hell--oh yes. Sigh. It wasn't that great to begin with.

Thanks for the insight and stay well, my friend. <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I’m in a heavily hit are San Antonio Tx. Of course CDC isn’t even recording are way past 10+ or the fact they let a positive lady leave quarantine she went shopping y dining at the mall. (Lol she giving us Women a eye roll 🙄 thanks for furthering the we would shop in a zombie 🧟‍♀️ apocalypse even type stereotype lol 😂).

Getting hit hard by ads where they are trying to give the pizza away if you buy a $5 game card at Chuckie cheese 🧀 to stores having 50% off.The mayor saying stay indoors is hurting the businesses. Hubby scared of catching it since the one positive test it becomes a 3rd degree felony to leave quarantine. We’re housing cruise ship passengers.

My fears are running out of stuff for the baby 🍼 👶 cause of panicking shoppers buying 10yrs worth off diapers in one visit (Leave me 1-2 boxes please!) , not knowing if quarantine means they can separate Mom from baby or not (seems like it’s up to the judges 31 my state individually), y Quarantine leaving us unable to work when we have a mortgage to pay 💰!

Hubby afraid of the baby catching it ,bill paying,stock market to Businesses that hire him closing (private contractor), y working in a Coronovirus spot cause of 1 & 2.

My Dad has swine flu 😷 back in that decade it wasn’t like this no one kept you from your kids to shut a city down. He went to work used his vacation days to test a few weeks he almost died from it (asthmatic) but I fed him to played at his feet. Wasn’t that bad at all.

When I got a rare one from China somehow they never said which one but I had to be treated I still went to work as a single mom except 1 day for diahreah. I was around my now adult daughter no one quarantined us at all. (my kids are 20yr old Navy Daughter y a 3yr old (Birthday in a few days so 2yrs old right now but not for long!) I was around elderly parents.

Now I’m seeing this world wide shut downs to forced quarantines it’s just like a nightmare on steroids! No ones scared of the virus more the governments reactions to it!
    My State if Texas Ted Cruz is quarantined for it being monitored because he came in contact. I remember folks panicking from the AIDS outbreak back in the day. My good friend was in elementary the adults tried to bar him from using the bathroom because he was born with AIDS (he was orphaned so grandmother took him in). I still remember that chaos’s heart breaking scars he had to endure (He died before turning 8yrs old I cried for months that’s all his memories of his life hateful people,so told my older cousin it hurt him to hear such mean things well he’s an AIDS Counselor now who helps get meds to treatment even know their rights so wasn’t in vain luckily) . Yes Ted Cruz came in contact with Pence to lots up there.

I agree with Trump (usually I only agree with a few things for any y all politician)on the whole just live life,go to work etc Problem is the WHO 🌎 disagrees to lots of others in power. They said we don’t have immunity.If I remember right I thought you have to get it to build an immunity in the first place to many Coronovirus’s. I can’t get a flu vaccine did it 2 times went to ER almost died allergic darn throat closed just like my Dad y grandma. My immunity was built by catching the flu built natural immunity haven’t got it in years when I do it’s so mild I think it’s my stomach condition acting up.

We have a stockpile anyways even before this only added a few things (not hand sanitizer) just diapers to protein powder for babies shakes.Fridge is empty but freezer y shelves have food good enough. Already a cleaning product hoarder before this I’m a wee bit of a clean freak - used to be my job I’ve cleaned hoarder homes to blood soaked hotel room ceiling to floor.You think Coronovirus is scary walk into those scenes! Talk about wanting gloves past your elbows!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @moonangel12

How are your kids doing? Did they agree to test them?

I hope they are on the mend. :flowerforyou:
    Missed this earlier! My husband and I discussed it and opted to just ride out the last couple days of their illness. I think if we had thought about the potential for coronavirus in the thick of it when my daughter’s breathing was at it’s worst we might have done something different, but they had made it through the worst and were on the mend so we didn’t want to go chasing down testing at that point... Overall I think we were housebound for 10-12 days? It was crazy! They still have a lingering cough, but all do well to cough into their elbow, especially in public, so we have reentered society in limited spurts...

Thank you for asking :heart:
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Noveousdies- My 80 yr old Aunt answered the drinking water thinking she thinks the workers won’t be able to work so no one will treat the water for awhile due to city wide quarantines. I’d Normally say that wouldn’t happen! But with the weird new rules with this particular epidemic 😷 they might do it since I’m not sure they know what their doing at all up in the governments to organizations!
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I've no worries, concerning getting sick and/or dying of this virus or the flu, even though I am 1 of the venerable {my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ~ CFS, was via a severe flu & yeah, I got the vaccination prior but it wasn't for the correct strain}. My worry with being hypoglycemic's being unable to ensure, that I've a normal stock of food available because of the panic buying, especially since it's already hit my county.

I did order grocery delivery, tonight but it won't come until Wednesday, via my local grocery store & thus I don't know what if any of it'll be unavailable, until then. Since they're limiting purchase amounts to 4, I chose them to hopefully've a better opportunity to actually obtain what I order. Thankfully I've approximately a weeks worth of groceries remaining, plus 2 days of a hurricane/tornado bundle.

It's shocking, how primitive government & medical prevention, has been. That's why, this' a crisis.

Within the future I'll keep a month ahead stock of daily necessities, to prepare for the next panic consumption because of course, they'll eventually be another.