• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wish I would've known about the virus last year when I booked my cruise lol Oh well. As long as I wash my hands constantly and use hand sanitizer I should be alright. Norwegian Cruise Line has been keeping us pretty informed of all of the steps they're taking in response to the virus. They're not messing around lol

Not to fearmonger, but the air filtration systems are also part of the issue on cruise ships. Air goes from cabin to cabin, with outside air being mixed with inside air. The filters aren't fine enough to pick up the virus (unlike planes, which recirculate air, but have filters than can keep the virus out of the air).

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-25/how-coronavirus-raced-through-quarantined-cruise-ship

Definitely good to know! Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about that now lol I can't cancel my reservation and receive a refund because I'm sailing in 8 days, plus I don't meet their criteria for being eligible for a refund.

I'm just going to cough as loud as possible to try and keep people away from me as much as possible lol

Might not be a good plan if you end up stuck out at see quarantined because the officials think you have it. If you do it before you get on the ship they will send you home.

She will be right. If checked by the doctor there would be no temperature and you can simply say that something went down the wrong way! I have just returned from overseas and while in transit it was amazing how much extra room a cough from someone I was travelling with gave.

I'm still coughing from my pneumonia (over a month ago now), and given a wide berth in public. I feel I have to explain myself everywhere I go.

People do not avoid me nearly enough. They jibber jabber at me nonstop. I need to stop showering.
    Sounds awful. Need another hug?

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    #toiletpapergate is a thing now :lol: (I guess...I don't do the Twitter)

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coronavirus-prompted-toilet-paper-gate-170200261.html
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    ..and then the obvious: Don't smoke. Drink alcohol moderately.

Great point. One of the reasons they’re estimating the initial mortally rate in China skewed male is because decades of chronic smoking is a more male trait there. Chronic smoking can make you more susceptible to respiratory illness. I hadn’t thought about it that way. They also guess those stats may make the mortality rate higher and it will shift lower as more are officially diagnosed. Only time will tell.

Also interested if there is any data about people who vape, especially in the US. No idea if that data will be thought of to collect.

ETA: fix typos. I should know better than to type on my phone.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm willing to hop on board the "This is how the zombie apocalypse starts" conspiracy train, but I'm kicking myself for slacking on my workouts the last few months now.

I have always known that I will be one of the first to succumb to zombies. I fully intend to do so sitting on my couch with a cat on my lap and cookie in my hand.

As long as the zombies can't run I have a chance. It would not make for a good tv or movie me staying 10 steps ahead of a zombie while we walk everywhere.

I love that show (TWD). I did the Zombie run at Comic Con in 2013. Scared the crap out of me! A little too realistic. Not doing that again. I’ll stick to TV. And barricading myself in my apartment if needed.

Though it is “fight the dead, fear the living.”
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people are stockpiling water. It’s not like the municipal water supply is suddenly going ro get turned off or infected with virus. I’m in CA and always have extra shelf-stable food on hand because of earthquake preparedness. Not to mention wildfire threats and PG&E power shutdowns. We picked up a few extra things yesterday so if we get any flu-like symptoms we can self-quarantine at home without having to go out and spread our germs around, whether they’re run of the mill flu or coronavirus. But y’all gotta quit watching the news, taking a few precautions is prudent but there is no reason to strip the store shelves.

After water flew off the shelves here (SoCal), our local water utility issued a statement about how there’s no need to stockpile water because 1) they will not shut off our water and 2) the virus is not being transmitted through the water supply. They explained thoroughly and non-jargony way that was well done.

Honestly, I think what happened here is that folks initially published earthquake prep lists, which always include water because a utility shut off is very possible in an earthquake. Most of the disaster prep supply stuff is pretty consistent.

When my colleagues were talking about stockpiling water, I asked “are you buying candles and batteries? Matches? Camp stove? Charcoal?” They looked at me and said “no.” I asked, “why do you think the water will go off and not the electricity?”

The triangle of disaster prep, emergency response, and business continuity is a huge part of my job. I have a massive disaster been in my unit at work that we have to consistently audit to remove and replace expired supplies. Even packaged water has an expiration date. Glow stick anyone? 😃
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    I'll just be over here in the corner, wiping my butt with leaves. :D

My co-workers who grew up in Korea and Ukraine used newspaper as toilet paper.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

My sister is in Morrocco right now. They didn't have any confirmed cases, to my knowledge, a week ago. It will probably be fine as long as you take proper precautions at the airport and plane.

1 today. So it started.

Honestly, I think you’re more at risk of not being allowed back in country after your trip than you are of getting the virus.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I currently have 4 children knocked out with flu like symptoms... it’s been days of high fevers, crazy coughing, etc. I “joke” that it could be coronavirus, but we’ll never know since they can’t test for it yet! (Although I am seeing headlines that tests are making their way around). We are on the outskirts of DC, a “bedroom community” for people that work in the city, so lots of potential to bring it in. Haven’t been to the doctor, we homeschool so no need to expose them to anything else if the symptoms are treatable at home (we have been often enough to have the needed meds for her croup) so not 100% sure what it is.

Wednesday is when it started, I thought my daughter was reacting to some bags of soil I bought - her cough started within minutes of being in the car with them. Super sensitive lungs, at age 8 she gets croup that shuts down her airways with any airborne irritant (no longer able to even swim in indoor chlorine pools). I went to buy a mask for her since we still had 45 minutes in the car to get home and found the supply wiped out... at multiple stores. Didn’t know what was going on, until the guy at the hardware store told me why the shelves were cleared.

We would be ones that would need to stock up on water, our well water is awful to try and drink... something I took for granted when we lived in NC with well water so good we could bottle and sell it.

They CAN test for it, the test gets sent to CDC in Atlanta. Those symptoms sound the same as COVID 19 symptoms are...I do hope they are okay. The cough and fever are the main thing, and having trouble breathing.

In the Seattle area (according to the press conference today) the government labs are up to 200 tests per day, University of WA just today came online to do 200 more, they hope to gear up to a total of 2000 tests daily between the two labs within a couple days. Turnaround time on the test appears to be about one day.

If you want you can go to KOMO News and watch the King County news conference.

We're up to six deaths now. :(

I saw someone post in another forum that the test is not cheap- like in the area of $2-3000. Anyone know about this? If true, I don't think I'd seek testing for myself or a family member unless they were high-risk. :/

Edited to add: Just happened to see this as well- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Since there's no cure, just treatment of whatever symptoms you have, which are evident without a test, I don't see any point for individuals to seek tests. If it's a test being done for public health purposes, that's a "common good" issue and should be paid for out of the public health budget.

There was a case of a man who felt he owed it to his community to get tested, so he went to his local hospital and explained why he was there. The CDC processes the test for free. But the hospital put him in a quarantine room, had personel wear those full white suits, disinfected the room, did a flu test, a CT scan, etc plus charges I'm sure for every doctor that peeked into the room after getting suited up. They submitted a claim to his insurance for $3,200. So the test is free, but the place you go to get tested will find a way to make it expensive.

So I'd say if someone feels like the responsible thing to do is get tested so the virus can be tracked, I'd contact your local health dept first and see if they can hook you up with a cheap way to get the test.

There was the story of the man and his young daughter who were quarantined (in part at a hospital) after being brought back from China and then billed for it. After public outrage, the hospital said it was a mistake. :angry:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is thought to be seasonal like the flu, and also, whether or not you can get it more than once? I’m not even sure scientists know yet?

Apparently we don't know yet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I have a 2 week trip planned for Morocco that starts on March 16. If the WHO does not declare this a pandemic, which most likely will affect all travel, I am set on going. Be smart, take precautions and live. If it gets you it gets you. Its not like you can see this coming.

My sister is in Morrocco right now. They didn't have any confirmed cases, to my knowledge, a week ago. It will probably be fine as long as you take proper precautions at the airport and plane.

1 today. So it started.

Honestly, I think you’re more at risk of not being allowed back in country after your trip than you are of getting the virus.

I doubt that will happen because Morrocco is "low risk" for now, but yes. Here they deny entry to all non-citizens arriving from high risk countries and quarantine all citizens arriving from high risk countries for 2 weeks.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It turns out not to matter what I would mix alcohol with to make hand sanitizer as the entire city is sold out of alcohol now thanks to the Internet explaining how to use it to make hand sanitizer. There are also no cleaning products, wipes, or anything like that.

I suppose I could look into buying Everclear but since I still have a decent supply of dish soap I am just going to wash my hands a lot. I also read that this particular virus is very susceptible to soap, since detergents cause the outer layer of the virus to burst and kill it. So in a pinch I guess you could make soapy water in an old squirt bottle and use it like hand sanitizer.

What I have heard, from a reliable source, is that if it is 60%+ alcohol, it kills viruses with a lipid envelope (like Covid-19).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    At this stage, I'm assuming I'll get it. Business Insider, hardly a left wing publication, had an algorythm out that said the best case scenario is 15M dead, 3 Trillion something economic impact.

All you can do is be the healthiest you can be, eat a bit healthier. Some things that might or might not help I've stocked up on. Mushroom derivatives, coconut derivatives (both have shown some success in helping lessen general virus replication, very unclear if they will help with this, but hey, it won't hurt either), Manuka Honey, Tea Tree Oil and a few other respiratory supplements that I personally like. Amla is an Indian Berry that has helped some with asthma and respiratory conditions. Indian Gooseberry it's also referred to as. Amla is a very powerful antioxidant, one of the strongest. Also, of course, some Elderberry.

Not sure if any of this will really help but it won't hurt and most are cheap.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bearly63 wrote:
    Not to do with preparation so much as what it feels like to have the Covid 19 virus.

Today on NPR they interviewed a man that got it from the last cruise ship nightmare. He has been in quaratine in Omaha I think for like 19 days. He still has not had 3 days of clean throat/nostril swabs - showing zero virus - which is required to leave quarantine. He explained that for him, his symptoms were nothing like the typical influenza. No sniffles, nose blowing, body aches. It was more the onset of the fever and then a dry cough. Felt not great for a few days but then felt fine. They let him have an exercise bike so he could keep moving. It sounds like it just hangs around even after you feel ok. Maybe thats why they recommend 14 days. I guess if you don't get tested, you really won't know what you have. I remember my one bout with flu and it felt like I had lost a boxing match - my body ached for a week. It hurt to lay in bed.[

I wish I could get my mother and sister to understand this - they think if they have a fairly bad head cold, then they must have had the flu, even though they are only a little tired and achy and only slightly feverish and still able to get up and be about and do things. I've told my mother time and again that what she's got is not the flu - if she can get up and go to work (she's a janitor) and still do chores around the house, then it's only a cold; if she had the real flu, it would knock her on her behind for a week.

Yeah, people throw "flu" around, but I've had it once and it isn't something you forget. It's seriously unpleasant and it wasn't something I could just power through.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380

My daughter was talking to a doctor friend in our town and the doctor told her that she thinks (her opinion only) that it has been circulating for a while here. They have seen very similar symptoms. Wouldn't surprise me with our global economy.