Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I've been following the COVID-19 for awhile............like a lot of you I'm sure. At first I thought, well we have more deaths from seasonal A/B strains and it just didn't seem like anything much different. After a lot of research, of which there is actually very little known about this novel coronavirus so far, I've decided after watching what happened in China, S Korea and now Italy and the US, we need to be very proactive here in containing the virus.

I think it's imperative that those of us who are healthy/young (I'm healthy but not young) do our part to stop the spread of the virus. Our oldest and most infirm among us are at great risk, so it's up to the rest of us to do what we can to mitigate their exposure. Follow the recommendations of local and federal medical personnel.

The numbers of infected are increasing daily because the testing results are finally coming back after a lack of testing kits. Until we have an accurate number of those infected I think it's best to be overly cautious.

We should all practice responsible hygiene... hand washing and such. However, it is clear that this isn't going to be contained. I've already accepted that I will get Covid-19 at some point, just like most everyone else. It is just a matter of when, not if. Personally, I am not any more concerned than about getting a cold. I am young, not healthy, but my immune system is fantastic. So I am not concerned.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I've been following the COVID-19 for awhile............like a lot of you I'm sure. At first I thought, well we have more deaths from seasonal A/B strains and it just didn't seem like anything much different. After a lot of research, of which there is actually very little known about this novel coronavirus so far, I've decided after watching what happened in China, S Korea and now Italy and the US, we need to be very proactive here in containing the virus.

I think it's imperative that those of us who are healthy/young (I'm healthy but not young) do our part to stop the spread of the virus. Our oldest and most infirm among us are at great risk, so it's up to the rest of us to do what we can to mitigate their exposure. Follow the recommendations of local and federal medical personnel.

The numbers of infected are increasing daily because the testing results are finally coming back after a lack of testing kits. Until we have an accurate number of those infected I think it's best to be overly cautious.

We should all practice responsible hygiene... hand washing and such. However, it is clear that this isn't going to be contained. I've already accepted that I will get Covid-19 at some point, just like most everyone else. It is just a matter of when, not if. Personally, I am not any more concerned than about getting a cold. I am young, not healthy, but my immune system is fantastic. So I am not concerned.

It may well be a forgone conclusion that you'll get it at some point, but the whole point of extra precautions like limiting potential exposure is to slow the rate of infection, so that health care systems aren't overwhelmed and those more at risk of severe symptoms have some hope of getting treatment. It's the socially responsible thing to do.

Yes, that was the first point I made in that post.

• SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    NicbPNW wrote: »
    I'm in Washington state, pretty close to the confirmed cases and yes, I'm a tad worried. Not in a panic, but being cautious. I have little kids and have asthma myself so I don't want any of us catching ANYTHING that could land us in the hospital.

I'm wondering why is everyone stockpiling toilet paper?!?! That is selling out as quick as water around here!

If I imagine being stuck in my apartment for a couple of weeks trying to avoid exposure to a disease, running out of toilet paper seems like it would be mighty inconvenient.

There is a you tube video out there on how to make a mask from toilet paper. I laughed so hard I had an accident.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Lol 😂 better be 3ply or higher mine would fall apart as I unroll it.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Nothing in Michigan yet......

First two cases reported just this evening.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    edited March 2020
    SmallMimi wrote: »
    I'm in Washington state, pretty close to the confirmed cases and yes, I'm a tad worried. Not in a panic, but being cautious. I have little kids and have asthma myself so I don't want any of us catching ANYTHING that could land us in the hospital.

I'm wondering why is everyone stockpiling toilet paper?!?! That is selling out as quick as water around here!

If I imagine being stuck in my apartment for a couple of weeks trying to avoid exposure to a disease, running out of toilet paper seems like it would be mighty inconvenient.

There is a you tube video out there on how to make a mask from toilet paper. I laughed so hard I had an accident.

I laughed so hard at you laughing so hard that I almost had an accident. :D:D:D
    (We'd better quit that as I don't think we can afford to waste the T.P.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    If anyone has trouble locating toilet paper, how about cleaning your closets of clothes that you don't intend to wear again & cut them into pieces, as a temporary replacement but be mindful, not to drop them into the toilet but the trash instead?

I work with folks who grew up in places where supplies and things like running water were scarce. They used newspaper. You rub pages against each other so the ink doesn’t smear first. I have magazines. Seems like that would do in a pinch.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @cmriverside
    Lol! this is the truth...you start thinking about this stuff. Am I the only one that goes to the store, grabs a plastic bag to add some produce and can't open the dang bag with out .....yep.....licking my fingers? I sat there last night for 3 minutes struggling to do this to buy some broccolli.

But then got a reality check. The guy next to me was with a grocery delivery service. He was struggling to do the same but when I noticed that he had prostheses for both legs and one hand, I felt pretty crappy. Covid 19 sucks but there are lot of other things in the world that suck too.

Alternative method for opening those plastic produce bags: blow on the edges you're trying to separate, like you were blowing out a match or a candle. Works for me almost as easily as using wet fingers. Or you could wet your fingers with a wet nap instead of licking them.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It may well be a forgone conclusion that you'll get it at some point, but the whole point of extra precautions like limiting potential exposure is to slow the rate of infection, so that health care systems aren't overwhelmed and those more at risk of severe symptoms have some hope of getting treatment. It's the socially responsible thing to do.

Yes, that was the first point I made in that post.

Ah, okay, just sort of read like you weren't going to worry about any sort of social distancing etc to help reduce rate of spread.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    If anyone has trouble locating toilet paper, how about cleaning your closets of clothes that you don't intend to wear again & cut them into pieces, as a temporary replacement but be mindful, not to drop them into the toilet but the trash instead?

I work with folks who grew up in places where supplies and things like running water were scarce. They used newspaper. You rub pages against each other so the ink doesn’t smear first. I have magazines. Seems like that would do in a pinch.

I still have plenty of cloth nappies from when my kids were babies. Perfect for the job and much better than newspaper.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    SmallMimi wrote: »

Good thing you had a toilet paper mask! Dual purpose.