Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »

The speed with which the research community is moving on this is really kind of inspirational. We are capable of so much when something like this forces us to put all our other crap aside.

I've been concerned in the US because the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation hit the ground running while our Federal Govt wrung their hands for a month and said it would go away. I think private billionaires will end up doing more for us, unfortunately, than the CDC has thus far. It's incredibly frustrating to see them hiring on Linkedin the next day (Bill and Melinda Gates) and we debated for three weeks on an 8B bill to fund it. It has already cost the economy 4 Trillion as of yesterday.

This reminds me of when the Corp of Engineers didn't want to spend 1B on a levy before Hurricane Catrina hit New Orleans, which would have protected the city.

CNN was just showing our "curve" -- it looks a heck of a lot more like Italy's or Iran's (the two worst hit so far) than Taiwan or S Korea, where they quickly contained it with testing.

Our R&D is better than anyones, I just don't see it helping in time for the first wave.

Dewine (the GOP governor of Ohio) is about to come on and explain why they are taking such drastic social distancing measures now. Delta hub flies through Cincy from all over the US. It wouldn't surprise me, at all, if it's the hardest hit there.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

That was interesting. Still didn't answer the question of why toilet paper. This is not a new thing as those of us who live in the frozen north know well.

I just figure it's one of those things that separates us from the animals. :D I think somebody else mentioned that early on in the thread... it's the mark of civilized society. ;)
    Where do bidets fall on the civilisation continuum? I'm thinking bidet > toilet paper > newspaper > corncobs (but really, isn't anything beyond poison oak/ivy/sumac greater than a corncob??)

Bidet > Charmin Ultrasoft Mega > Other consumer TP > commercial TP which is all that's now available in stores near me > newspaper > moss (early medieval) > corncob > left hand

Charmin, means that dryer lint's also an option!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    Italy in bad shape. Over 600 dead and over 10k active cases. Hospitals stopped all operations / procedures and overflowing caring for covid patients. Bad scene! We need to be vigilant and people need to stop poo pooing claiming it's just no worse than a regular flu blah blah it is killing people globally.

The regular flu kills people globally

We have the regular flu every year in Italy--it's not on this scale.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

This was 2019/2020. Almost 3 Million cases reported by Jan 19 and half a million additional in just one week. At the time of the report deaths were approaching 300. I'm not downplaying the dangers of COVID-19 but the only difference in scale (the flu was worse) is mostly in the response to the outbreak.

With this kind of logic don't you think it's strange that the country didn't go into quarantine in January? The Northern part of Italy is now begging the government to shut down public transportation and all shops and stores that are non-essential. I've seen doctors and nurses crying on TV and begging people to stay home and follow government guidelines. If you feel better believing that this is just a flu then good for you.

For people that want to slow the progression of the virus: no non-essential travel (yes, cancel those vacations), stay away from crowded places, if you go out, wash your hands as soon as you enter your home, keep a distance when meeting and greeting people, avoid touching people, be sensible, do what you need to and look around and see if you can help elderly or infirm by shopping for them and keeping in touch by phone so they don't feel abandoned.

This will pass, but please don't tell people that it's "just the flu" and go about business as usual. I've seen what happens when you do that. Stay safe people.

It's not "just the flu," however I am concerned the responses are promoting panic over preparedness.

In the US this so far this flu season:
    • 34 million illnesses
    • 350,000 hospitalizations
    • 20,000 deaths

Realistically, we should (all) exercise more caution during flu season. And if this is how we get there, I am happy for the increased awareness of how easily viruses can be passed. However, where we should be promoting calm and rationality, as well as respect for our more vulnerable citizens, I instead see panic. Such as the doctors and nurses crying on TV mentioned above. How does health officials panic-sobbing help keep citizens calm and following procedures meant to help keep everyone safe? It seems akin to yelling fire in a crowded theater instead of asking folks to get up and quickly proceed to the nearest exit.

You don't know the Italians. They are not used to pulling together as a people for various historical reasons that I won't go into here. They are however, extremely generous and loving. If you can persuade them that there is great suffering they will do whatever they can to help. I am seeing them working together now as never before. They are seriously going to stop this. I hope my fellow Americans will do the same. If buying hoards of TP will get them moving in the right direction--so be it.

Putting others into a position of being unable to secure sanitary items, actually worsens a situation instead of, bettering it.

Isn't that what I said?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I went into a Walmart yesterday. People had stripped the aisle with paper goods -- toilet paper and paper towels -- so the shelves were empty from the floor to the ceiling. Unbelievable. After I left, I wished I'd taken a photo.

I also saw a man a few days ago buying 18 containers of Clorox wipes. One man. He's either hoarding it or reselling it on Craigslist or Amazon. Absolutely selfish either way.

I don't know if this might help or not, but Thrive Market still had toilet paper yesterday. You could also buy direct from Georgia Pacific (they had an add on Facebook with free shipping). If you can find bleach online, and paper towels, use that. Tea Tree Oil is also a great, natural antiseptic, though I'm not sure how well it works with this virus. There is a massage supply company that had gallons of hand sanitizer available last week. Bulkapothecary.com I think. They said they have production lines open 24/7 right now to try to keep up with demand. But don't hoard. Get enough for you and your family for a few weeks. That's it. I had to get more TP and it's no where to be found in town, so desparate times require...
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I went into a Walmart yesterday. People had stripped the aisle with paper goods -- toilet paper and paper towels -- so the shelves were empty from the floor to the ceiling. Unbelievable. After I left, I wished I'd taken a photo.

I also saw a man a few days ago buying 18 containers of Clorox wipes. One man. He's either hoarding it or reselling it on Craigslist or Amazon. Absolutely selfish either way.

I don't know if this might help or not, but Thrive Market still had toilet paper yesterday. You could also buy direct from Georgia Pacific (they had an add on Facebook with free shipping). If you can find bleach online, and paper towels, use that. Tea Tree Oil is also a great, natural antiseptic, though I'm not sure how well it works with this virus. There is a massage supply company that had gallons of hand sanitizer available last week. Bulkapothecary.com I think. They said they have production lines open 24/7 right now to try to keep up with demand. But don't hoard. Get enough for you and your family for a few weeks. That's it. I had to get more TP and it's no where to be found in town, so desparate times require...

Thanks for the info. I live in a tiny tourist town with a Walmart, two grocery stores, and two drugstores.

Toilet paper frenzy: people are asking the Walmart when their supply trucks will arrive so they can be there when the pallets are taken off the truck and the supplies go on the shelves.

You can also order their stuff online and pick it up in the store the next day, unless the website says they're out (meaning their warehouse is out) -- I haven't tried online ordering. I'm okay with supplies myself, but wonder about the future since people are panicking and stripping the shelves.

Hand sanitizer: None in town. The type of alcohol you can find in pharmacies is also gone from the shelves. People are making their own hand sanitizer from alcohol and aloe vera. I believe washing your hands with hot soapy water is just as good -- but not for cleaning surfaces.