Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Is it true that the virus stays up in the air for a while before it falls? If so, should we be spraying stuff in the air to kill it? Fabreeze that kills germs?

Because I have a man at my house fixing my stove and he keeps coughing, should I be doing anything?

Yes it is. Up to 3 hours. I don't know what could be done. Do you have a range hood?
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Is it true that the virus stays up in the air for a while before it falls? If so, should we be spraying stuff in the air to kill it? Fabreeze that kills germs?

Because I have a man at my house fixing my stove and he keeps coughing, should I be doing anything?

Yes it is. Up to 3 hours. I don't know what could be done. Do you have a range hood?
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

Yes I do
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I went into a Walmart yesterday. People had stripped the aisle with paper goods -- toilet paper and paper towels -- so the shelves were empty from the floor to the ceiling. Unbelievable. After I left, I wished I'd taken a photo.

I also saw a man a few days ago buying 18 containers of Clorox wipes. One man. He's either hoarding it or reselling it on Craigslist or Amazon. Absolutely selfish either way.

The Krogers near me have had signs posted since last week that they were limiting purchases of paper goods, anti-bacterial wipes, etc to 5 per customer. That wouldn't prevent someone from making multiple trips to get as much as they could, however.

Make them get it like cold medicine. Just a thought. They should do that soon. Where they can track how much you're getting to prevent hoarding and reselling for huge profits.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I'm not downplaying the coronavirus at all. It's serious and deadly for some people. The thing that gets me, though, is comparing the reaction of people to Covid-19 -- stripping the shelves in stores and closing gatherings and schools -- comparing this reaction to the way people react to the flu.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-big-numberthe-flu-has-hit-at-least-22-million-people-in-the-us-so-far/2020/02/14/3a83c0cc-4e7f-11ea-b721-9f4cdc90bc1c_story.html

I live in the United States. According to this article, written in mid-February, the flu infected between 22 million to 31 million in the USA this past flu season, and killed at least 12,000 as of Feb. 7. I don't have figures to mid-March. We're advised to get a flu shot. Elderly people are advised to avoid big gatherings where they could get sick. Basically, though, I hear almost nothing about the flu. Why the extreme panic now when we don't panic over flu?
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    I'm not downplaying the coronavirus at all. It's serious and deadly for some people. The thing that gets me, though, is comparing the reaction of people to Covid-19 -- stripping the shelves in stores and closing gatherings and schools -- comparing this reaction to the way people react to the flu.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-big-numberthe-flu-has-hit-at-least-22-million-people-in-the-us-so-far/2020/02/14/3a83c0cc-4e7f-11ea-b721-9f4cdc90bc1c_story.html

I live in the United States. According to this article, written in mid-February, the flu infected between 22 million to 31 million in the USA this past flu season, and killed at least 12,000 as of Feb. 7. I don't have figures to mid-March. We're advised to get a flu shot. Elderly people are advised to avoid big gatherings where they could get sick. Basically, though, I hear almost nothing about the flu. Why the extreme panic now when we don't panic over flu?

Because we have herd immunity for the flu. We have flu immunizations. We are geared for the flu (the medical system) - but just barely.

We don't want 100,000 new cases of the "flu" AKA Covid all at one time. That would overwhelm the system. We have to slowly build herd immunity - not 2 million cases in a month.

Have you been reading this thread at all?? Go back to yesterday's posts.

Thanks for your insight -- that makes sense. No need to snipe at me. I have not read the thread until today -- I checked in for the first time because of my experience in a store. Some of us have limited time. I shouldn't be on the internet now.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    School is still in session today but spring break is next week and I think they're thinking of just having virtual school after that, although it hasn't been announced yet in my district. Stores are being wiped completely clean of all paper products, clorox wipes, bleach etc. It's pretty *kitten*. Let's just share guys... I was legitimately running out of toilet paper at my house lol. I have to work still, I'm in a small office but so many people have been sick over the last couple weeks including me (not corona that I'm aware of?? No one is getting tested for that here!) I don't like sending my kids to daycare but what is there for me to do

Here in Italy, when all schools and universities were closed, the government set up a voucher system to pay for babysitters for people that have no other option. Hopefully your government will do the same.