Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I was just at my local grocery which was nuts due to the shelter in place order we just got, but nothing was actually low or unavailable. I think just trust in your supply chain for things like food and paper products. I'm more worried about amazon shortages for computer stuff.

I stopped at my local grocery. The TP was out and the selection of bread was a bit thin, both of which I expected. What I didn't expect was how little flour was available. I am getting a bit bored so I am starting a sourdough starter and thought I would load up on a bit more flour. I had a choice between one brand of all purpose, one self rising, or 2 brands of bread flour. I just needed 5 lb of all purpose so I wasn't going to be picky.

A couple of other changes: they were only selling coffee pre-packaged. The bulk bins were sealed off. They also are asking that you not bring in reusable bags or if you do, that you bag your own groceries to lessen any transference to the checkers/baggers.

I suspect that the hoarding has lessened but that the supply chains are disrupted. Maybe within a few days the stores will start to have reasonable stocks again.

Yeah, I think being in a big city, or even my specific part of this city, has protected me from the supply chain disruption as I haven't seen it yet and it was getting back to normal before yesterday when everyone started anticipating the stay in place order.

And based on observation what I think people have been largely focusing on over the past couple of days is alcohol, which we sell at the grocery store.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    For weeks - I kept reading esp on MFP - it’s just like the flu and everyone is overreacting, just wash your hands. Except - many of our industries are closed, people are out of work, Many Americans homebound — would we suffer such an economic breakdown for a disease just like the flu? Or the people who say - don’t panic it’s just an elderly affliction or for people with underlying illnesses? But don’t we all have family members who are in these categories?

I’m wondering - when everyone thinks we will return to days when we don’t social distance and we can have family gatherings without fear of illness. I’m hoping it’s sooner than I think.

To be fair, using examples of over-reaction are not exactly a good argument if you are saying that people are not over-reacting.

Are you actually still trying to argue that these measures are an over reaction??

In the current form, yes. Even if you disagree about that, there is nothing inherent in the reaction (whether you think it is proper or not) by itself that proves or disproves whether it is overdone or not. So to make the point, "Things are being done, so that proves that doing things is not an over-reaction" still isn't a good point.

ETA: FTR, I've been in the "shut everything down" group for a few days, though will acknowledge I've been less vocal here than other social media. It is my view, though, that you either do nothing (lots of death, less economic loss) or you shut everything down and everybody stays home except a few essential workers (much less death, lots of economic loss). The current practices are providing plenty of economic loss without enough reduction in mortality to be worthwhile. Why should we push for the worst of both health and economic outcomes?! So I am in the "everybody stay home" camp as long as it is absolutely everybody (except a very few who are truly needed to respond). Since that isn't happening, closing half of things down is an over-reaction that just leads to economic losses and delays suffering. Someone like me is very likely to die in the future when I get laid off and can't afford insulin. I'm all for saving lives, but that means everyone stays home and there will need to be some economic relief to save lives as well.

Okay, thank you for that explanation :) It actually sounds to me more like you think the measures are an under reaction, though (ie you're on Team "shut everything down with economic relief"). I would tend to agree that a lot of what is happening in many countries is a half-assed approach.

I guess that depends on the perspective. I'm just saying - either do something worthwhile or don't do anything. A half-way approach just screws everything up worse all around. At least the economy can eventually recover and can be helped to prevent people like me from dying later.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,044 Member
    Options
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.

Can't remember which state it was (not mine), but home repair/hardware was on their essential business list. Wondered, so checked, what would happen if someone's refrigerator broke down. Answer might be "big box home improvement store", perhaps.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    London has not gone into lockdown yet, but cafes, restaurants, gyms, bars, theatres were told not to re-open after tonight.

Potatoes are starting to get scarce in my bit of central London. Hubby managed to find some at the Bangladeshi supermarket. At least the ethnic grocers are still well stocked.

Just to point out that those measures do not just apply to London, but to the whole of the UK.

The Government have also announced some great measures for financial easement for both businesses and any employees who have to be laid off as a result.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    My sister had worked at Lowe's for over 5 years until she got fired this past summer. She took a job with Krogers, which now may be seen as a blessing in disguise - Krogers is considered essential, so her job should be safe. Lowe's, on the other hand, would likely have laid her off.

Does Lowes not count as essential? What happens if there’s a wiring issue or the water heater breaks or the door falls off the hinges? I can think of about fifteen things that would make it impossible to keep sheltering in place that could go wrong with no hardware store.

In PA, at least for now, hardware and auto parts stores are seen as essential. Our local Lowes was open when we drove past this afternoon. Supposedly garden supplies are not essential (per the Governor's shutdown order), but that part of the store looked like it was open as well. Construction has been shut down, but some emergency repairs are going to be necessary so plumbing and electrical supplies will be needed. Plus, it gives people something to do at home when they're off work.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My friend has several rental properties, plumbers are starting to be an issue because they don’t want to go into residential homes...

Gardening could be beneficial, hopefully those supplies stay available... a nod to WWII victory gardens if this continues... for those that have the ability anyway.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Have been offline for a few days and didn't go back to read all the comments, so apologize if this has already been brought up. Has anyone seen this story:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fourth-member-jersey-family-dies-000305798.html

Combined with what is happening in Italy, couldn't help but wonder if people of Italian descent are somehow more genetically vulnerable to this virus. Is that possible?

I personally don’t think this virus cares what ethnicity or race you are. It’s everywhere and anyone is susceptible to it. I wish so much that testing was more avaliable then we would have the true numbers of people who have it rather than just those deemed “high risk”. Stay safe
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

That's a longer list than we used to have (before the curfew was announced, now it's even shorter). I'm curious why liquor stores are considered essential.

Well, if they're selling anything 120-proof or stronger, you could use it to kill the coronavirus. :smile:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Here's what I found:

From HuffPost: While the list may vary according to local concerns and the nature of a given event, disaster or pandemic, here is a general idea of what’s considered “essential” in emergencies, according to various governments, including San Francisco, Miami, New York state and Miami-Dade County:

• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities

• Pharmacies

• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores

• Liquor stores

• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru)

• Hardware stores and plumbers

• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel

• Exterminators and other service providers

• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care

• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms

• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services

• Phone and computer sellers

• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis

• Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers

• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists

• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services

• Newspapers, television, radio and other media outlets

• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers

• Home-based care for seniors, adults or children

• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities

• Pet supply stores

• Veterinary offices

• Police stations

• Fire stations

• Building code enforcement

• Jails

• Courts

• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services

• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways)

• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications)

• Certain city, county, state and federal offices

• Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries

• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors and doormen

• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety and sanitary products
    https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/what-are-essential-services-jobs-185047320.html

That's a longer list than we used to have (before the curfew was announced, now it's even shorter). I'm curious why liquor stores are considered essential.
    Apparently they fall under the food processing retail and merchant category. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-new-york-liquor-stores-deemed-essential-can-stay-open-2020-3